Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 09 Maths

Options
  • 26-01-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

ughh mocks in a week and a half and I have very little done :(, like really nothing at all (all those teachers telling us to put the work in in 5th year... why didnt i listen????:rolleyes:). I'm finding it very difficult to study for Maths (higher :(:() and was wondering how you people study for it, I mean it aint like other subjects where you just learn off stuff.....its..impossible.
    help please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Practice your exam paper questions like there's no tomorrow. Learn your formula. After that, it kind of just depends on how the questions come up in the exam. You can't 'study' as such, you just kind of have to practice a lot, especially if you're like me, and you look at pretty much every question and go, ehh what?! The more questions you do (even if it feels like you've done the same paper four million times) the more it sinks in basically! I haven't found any other way anyway...

I find the best way of studying for maths is to try and actually understand what's going on, and what it is that you're doing. The internet is your best friend in doing this.

Apart from that: just do exam paper after exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

I find the best way of studying for maths is to try and actually understand what's going on, and what it is that you're doing. The internet is your best friend in doing this.

X2 , higher maths is acc quite easy when you understand whats happing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Reading through stuff a few times helps me, to understand whats going on. If you dont understand you ahvent a hope. after that, id pick a topic, start at 2008 and go back ten years doing question after qustion, and see how you feel after that.

what Im doing at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Thanks for all the replys Yea I think I will do some of the things suggested, so long as I past I will be very happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

any good websites for this?

Dubs wrote: »
    any good websites for this?

Am... there's a few I used to use alright.

LectureFox have University lectures on many, many things. But, if you sort down through the list, you may find something relevant to what you're trying to study.

This TCD maths revision site is pretty good, too. Everything is orientated about the LC, too.

KhanAcademy and PatritJMT on YouTube are pretty good, too. But, again, they're not orientated around the LC, so, you'll have to look for what's relevant.

Apart from that, Google and Wikipedia are your best friends. I usually google a word/term that I don't understand, then Wikipedia will completely clarify it: making the problem you were trying to do a lot easier - at least for me, anyway.

Hope this helps. If I remember any more I'll most them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

many thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was going to close this thread in exasperation when I saw the title, but then I saw it was just asking about methods for studying for maths and the feeling past.

I haven't started studying for maths and my mocks begin next week. I'm a bit scared too as I'll be overwhelmed by how much I don't know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Unlike last years 30 page long thread that had every mock paper attached to it so everyone could just take a look at their next exam, don't know why it lasted so long here, but it got me through my mocks with flying colours, but in the end it did me no good.

Best of Luck All

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Piste wrote: »
    I was going to close this thread in exasperation when I saw the title, but then I saw it was just asking about methods for studying for maths and the feeling past.

I haven't started studying for maths and my mocks begin next week. I'm a bit scared too as I'll be overwhelmed by how much I don't know :(

:confused:how come you were going to close the thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Mick_Grif wrote: »
    :confused:how come you were going to close the thread??
    Around this time last year every thread that had something to do with the mocks was asking for papers so they could cheat. Cheating be bad as is the posting of copyrighted material.

Around this time of year you can only choose to be cynical when you see a title like that. :pac:

However I do look forward to the "wtf y no mocks modz r geh" thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Start off in Section A in the chapter you are studying.
    Study the example, learn any formulae encountered then practise the questions in the section. Once you are comfortable with it and understand it move on to section B etc. You'll then gradually build up to have the ability to do an exam question. Once at that stage, do every exam question there ever was on the topic and you'll pick up the tricks along the way and will be able to spot the 'nasty bits' on the day of the exams.

Oh and don't forget the proofs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Davidius wrote: »
    Around this time last year every thread that had something to do with the mocks was asking for papers so they could cheat. Cheating be bad as is the posting of copyrighted material.

It's mainly the copyright thing. Do you think me or any of the mods care if people cheat? Nah, nothing to do with us, couldn't care less! We just don't want Boards.ie getting in trouble for hosting copyrighted material is all.
    Around this time of year you can only choose to be cynical when you see a title like that. :pac:

Too true, every time I see a thread with "mocks" in the title, I die a little inside.

OP: I was only going to lock the thread because I thought it was going to be a question about the maths mock, and we slready have a mocks thread. This thread's fine as it is :)

Advertisement