Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROH & HDNet Reach TV Deal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

lol..I heard about this 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

callaway92 wrote: »
    lol..I heard about this 3 weeks ago

This exact news or the one where there was talk of it happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good question. Did Callaway know something Cary Silkin et al did not know?

I think someone's trying to troll :confused:

I did post a few weeks ago about talks of a tv deal i remember that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

jeffk wrote: »
    I think someone's trying to troll :confused:

I did post a few weeks ago about talks of a tv deal i remember that!!

Nope I saw that it was confirmed..someone had a link to it on the main Wrestling Forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I believe it was offered a couple of weeks ago and only accepted yesterday. It'll be interesting to see what kind of show they'll put out.

So it was not signed 3 weeks ago then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

gimmick wrote: »
    So it was not signed 3 weeks ago then?

Don't think so but it was definitely offered a few weeks ago. Think Machismo Fan has it right.

Quite a change in direction for the company in 3 months with a booking change and a change to a weekly model.

Edit: Just listening to the Observer live and they're not sure when it was signed but it was announced today. Apparently the success of the deal depends on whether HDnet can get to more than 6 million homes but it should lead to a rise in production values but could also lead to a raid on talent

Tough one to call for ROH. I know the ROH message board almost melted down citing this as the end of ROH as we know it. Whether that is a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

I would like to see how they would lay it out as a weekly product?

I would like to see how they would lay it out as a weekly product?

I think more storyline or wrestling based is the big question?

• Advertisement

Well considering its basically a workrate based promotion s it is, it should stick to its strengths, as to be honest I am not a fan of ROHs attempts at outside of the ring storylines. Their best storylines have been based on in ring action ie Danielsons endless feud with McGuinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

With the booking change from Gabe to Pearce I'd say it'll definitely have more of a focus on storyline. In retrospect the deal could be one of the main reasons Gabe left

Well considering its basically a workrate based promotion s it is, it should stick to its strengths, as to be honest I am not a fan of ROHs attempts at outside of the ring storylines. Their best storylines have been based on in ring action ie Danielsons endless feud with McGuinness.

Only problem is with a weekly TV show there is only so long you can continue to feature wrestling before you run out of fresh matches.

Horrific thought - it could be made look like that disaster WSX.

Horrific thought - it could be made look like that disaster WSX.

If WSX booked themselves as a wrestling promotion and not a garbage promotion they may have succeeded. They had a damn good talent roster. I doubt ROH would fall to such low standards.

Well WSX had half the ROH roster at its disposal at the time.

Well WSX had half the ROH roster at its disposal at the time.

True but WSX has only half an hour long, I think in the long run a weekly TV show that features little but wrestling would over-expose the ROH roster and in the long run make the product look stale, unless of course new wrestlers were being introduced and pushed in the process.

http://www.wrestlingunlimited.com/news/235087635

The first ROH taping for their new HDNet show is expected to take place in the Northeast. HDNet is not paying ROH a rights fee to air the show. Instead, it seems as if the two sides will share in the profits, with HDNet handling the production of the show while ROH focuses on the product. The plan as of a few weeks ago was to have the show air on Saturday nights, but that isn't confirmed. It's also unknown if HDNet will ever air ROH shows as specials, though they do sometimes air live MMA specials. ROH has wanted to land a TV deal for a long time, so getting one has everyone backstage very happy.

http://rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2619
    The first Television Main Events in ROH history have been signed. ROH officials and the Booking Committee went over the potential matchups, narrowing them down to what will become the first 6 Television Main Events in company history. ROH officials then had to decide which of those 6 matches should receive the honor of “main eventing” the very first televised hour of ROH action. Thoughtful consideration was given to a number of factors including company longevity, overall standing in the industry, and championship status. In the end, ROH officials decided to go outside the box a bit and give the fans a match that everyone has been waiting for since the events that took place at Final Battle last December. On February 28th in Philadelphia the one-on-one encounter has been signed. In the very first TV Main Event in company history Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black will stand across the ring from each other with the eyes of the wrestling world upon them. The war has just begun. Don’t miss out; tickets are on sale now at www.rohwrestling.com. You don’t want to wait for the program to air on HDNet, be there live and witness hatred at its highest level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

I've haven't seen much of ROH especially since The Fight Network closed. Is it gonna be shown over here any time soon?

• Advertisement

I've haven't seen much of ROH especially since The Fight Network closed. Is it gonna be shown over here any time soon?

Not likely as you have tna on bravo who used to show Ecw and then obviously wwe on sky.
    So that doesn't leave a lot of big names that would wanna show wrestling on UK satellite.

But then again no one probably thought wed have tna like we do now so never say never!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

Thanks man. Yeah maybe not but one of the lesser important digital channels might pick it up. Wrestling aint as popular as it used to be so we'll have to wait and see.

Advertisement