Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Bband...but dont want voice...

Options
  • 26-01-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I live in naas, but cant get any Line of Sight to any of the wireless providers, which leaves me as Eircom as my only option.
    I've been looking at the eircom site but all the packages include voice.
    I dont want a landline, I know I need one to have the web, but do i have to get charged for it if I dont use / want it?

any info is appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You've no choice I'm afraid, No Dsl without line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

im in the same boat, need a decent BB. looked at eircom website and was shocked. 55 a month for 3mb BB. Ill have to stick with 3g BB for now.

Sooner this country has the coms providers kicked up the arse the better. Im sure my old man in the UK pays something like 8.99 a month rental with free BB with talktalk.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You need a PSTN line to get ADSL and as such you must pay line rental, the only exception to this would be the likes of a ULMP unbundle available from BT Business but this is only available in LLU areas and you must be a BT Business customer.

As for the UK, line rental is £12.50 last I remember...it was increased by BT Openreach last week so this will likely affect anyone else doing wholesale line rental....you still need to pay PSTN line rental to somebody if you want ADSL....its not all roses in the UK market :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well 3Mb with UTV would be €42.50, and the free calls at the evenings and weekends would be a hell of a lot cheaper than any mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sadly no naked DSL in Ireland....

In real markets this exists....for example...

http://www.gonaked.com.au/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

this country is truly embarrassing when it comes to bband :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Einstein wrote: »
    this country is truly embarrassing when it comes to bband :(

To my knowledge unless your going for business end packages you can't get naked DSL in the UK either, its ADSL it runs over a PSTN line in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Cabaal wrote: »
    To my knowledge unless your going for business end packages you can't get naked DSL in the UK either, its ADSL it runs over a PSTN line in fairness

Yep - that's about right.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

whatever happens, however its taken into account and however its done...someone will always have to pay for the last mile.

I personally have never heard of free ducting or publically heald copper/fiber/cable.

crawler wrote: »
    Sadly no naked DSL in Ireland....

In real markets this exists....for example...

http://www.gonaked.com.au/

Read the plans page for this company......not that great at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Rorser wrote: »
    Read the plans page for this company......not that great at all.

$2AU = €1
    • No excess fees for going over your monthly quota
    • If you exceed your quota, we just shape your speed to 64/128kbps for the remainder of your billing month - learn all about quota and shaping
    What's the problem?

Onikage wrote: »
    $2AU = €1
    • No excess fees for going over your monthly quota
    • If you exceed your quota, we just shape your speed to 64/128kbps for the remainder of your billing month - learn all about quota and shaping
    What's the problem?

25 quid for broadband isnt exactly earth shattering, 2GIG download is very low, i cant even see the broadband speeds and traffic shaping.....theyre not exactly pulling a ryanair.

I just saw there aswell...they have install charges no matter what (even if you go for a 24 month contract).

Advertisement