Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XPS 1330 ???

• 26-01-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying one of these

anybody used them yet ??? any good

thinking of 4gb ram

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

jmccrohan wrote: »
    great.

care to elaborate GREAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

They seem to have a high failure rate (the models with 8400M graphics card). I owned one when they came out with no problems, but in hindsight I would be hesitant to buy one now. If you do, probably would be a good idea to get an extended warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They are also getting on a bit now, ~2 years old at this stage, with replacements on the way. Just something to keep in mind. As well as their tendency to fail with Nvidia chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

ok so what would you advise i go for ???

4gb ram and alot of hard drive space and fast

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have been very happy with mine, never had an issue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

copacetic wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

They have been replaced by the Studio XPS 13... which is a much better machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

copacetic wrote: »

+1,looks the business too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Had the motherboard replaced once thanks to nvidia's incompetence. Very happy with mine, does the job nicely and is a looker. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the 8400M GS is an awful card, i've been using it in my current laptop for over a year now and with a 2.0Ghz Core2Duo and 3GB RAM, the GPU is really the bottle neck of the whole system. plus the with the high failure rate i would say stay the **** away.

if buying an XPS, the studio 13 is probably the best bet. However, it's relatively new and reviews of it are hard to come by, so nobody really knows what the story is with it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Sherifu wrote: »
    Had the motherboard replaced once thanks to nvidia's incompetence. Very happy with mine, does the job nicely and is a looker. :)

I had the motherboard and processor on mine replaced last week due to nvidia heat problem. I did the copper mod on it then and its overall running a lot cooler and more stable. At least you can play CIV IV on it now anyway which used to keel it over all the time.

I'd certainly be wary of Dell machines after my m1330 experience.

machalla wrote: »
    I had the motherboard and processor on mine replaced last week due to nvidia heat problem. I did the copper mod on it then and its overall running a lot cooler and more stable. At least you can play CIV IV on it now anyway which used to keel it over all the time.

I'd certainly be wary of Dell machines after my m1330 experience.
    I was thinking about doing the copper mod on mine but I put it off at the time. Any chance of a link to the copper you used?

To be honest I blame nvidia first and foremost. I hope Dell are royally screwing them for every single replacement job.

Sherifu wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing the copper mod on mine but I put it off at the time. Any chance of a link to the copper you used?

http://myworld.ebay.ie/metaloffcuts

Using this guide.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=268081

Its fairly easy overall. I got all the other bits I needed in Peats in town (artic silver 5, thermal compound remover). The only things you need to do are clean off the thermal paste from cpu and adhesive from gpu. Then lather on the thermal paste on both of them. Place copper piece where the blue thermal pad had been then close it all up. I left it overnight to dry out a little bit, by the morning the gpu was running 10-15 degrees cooler. Cpu was a few degrees cooler. Hottest I've seen the gpu now is 71 degrees. Previously it was running at that when idle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

machalla wrote: »

Then lather on the thermal paste on both of them. Place copper piece where the blue thermal pad had been then close it all up.

Don't forget you'll need thermal compound on both sides of the copper shim (that's all it is; a shim to account for the height of the removed thermal pad). And 'lather' isn't the word i'd use when talking about applying it :pac:

Don't forget you'll need thermal compound on both sides of the copper shim (that's all it is; a shim to account for the height of the removed thermal pad). And 'lather' isn't the word i'd use when talking about applying it :pac:

Yes probably a bit over enthusiastic there in my description :)

The guide covers it all pretty well though so you can't go far wrong with that.

That looks like the guide I was looking at at the time. I should really do this as I had the motherboard replaced recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

71 degree's is safe enough. That shouldn't give you any problems. I've been hearing that newer 1330's run cooler than old mind you, but I can't quite remember where I heard that.

I wouldn't buy a 1330 meself though, mostly because I'm not too sure about that, and I tend to load the GPU on this pretty constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Dartz wrote: »
    71 degree's is safe enough. That shouldn't give you any problems. I've been hearing that newer 1330's run cooler than old mind you, but I can't quite remember where I heard that.

I have a 1330 which I adore and the only issue I've had is the power cable fell apart (they replaced it quickly enough!) 11 months after I bought it.

The new bios fixed a few weird things and my computer runs quieter and cooler since I updated it. I've never had an issue with the nvidia card. The network card (draft n) gives some trouble in ubuntu but it's sortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I have the Vostro 1310 which is basically the same as the 1330.

Also did the copper mod and my GPU now idles at 59C

One of the best things you can do and it wont void your warrenty is to undervolt the CPU. Mine was running at 100c under 100% stress test.

I undervolted it and the highest i got was 65C and it now idles at 33C.

This has taken alot of heat off the copper pipe and alow the GPU to cool better.

Theres a guide on notebook review as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement