Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finance and investment

• 26-01-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know anything about the Finance and investment program? It seems fairly new. I heard from one student that the business program was serious (= had high quality and so), and since it's the same school, maybe that should apply for the Finance program too.

How big are the classes (number of students)? How many weeks do you study per year (exam weeks and weeks when you are supposed to study but don't have any classes included)?

Off topic question: I can't find anything about living costs, they only say that they are low. But about how low?

/John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

Wendero wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know anything about the Finance and investment program? It seems fairly new. I heard from one student that the business program was serious (= had high quality and so), and since it's the same school, maybe that should apply for the Finance program too.

How big are the classes (number of students)? How many weeks do you study per year (exam weeks and weeks when you are supposed to study but don't have any classes included)?

Off topic question: I can't find anything about living costs, they only say that they are low. But about how low?

/John

I'm not a student of this course but i share some of the same subjects! Basically its a small course the course is very new this is its second year and you would be entering the third if you were successful!By small numbers i mean 10!good though because the course leader is one of the lecturers and knows the students on a one to one basis there to give help when required! WIT is semesterised so basically
    Semester 1:(sept-christmas) 12 lecture weeks, a mid-term break(halloween) in between just like the schools get then a study week which is immediately followed by one and a half-two weeks of exams(which are spread out of the weeks, its a bonus if you get them done in the first weeK)
    Semester 2(jan-may) 12 lecture weeks, a mid-term break(feb), two weels off over easter, study week(same as above)

Information about subjects can be found here:
    http://www2.wit.ie/StudyatWIT/UndergraduateCourses/Business/BAHonsinFinanceandInvestment-WD160/

I would definetly recommend you email the course leader she is very approachable: ckearney@wit.ie

Thats all i can think of now hope i have been some help! Let me know if i can answer any more questions!

And on the living costs i live at home so not able to answer that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Thank you so much for the information!:)

Do the Fin.inv (finance and investment) have any courses alone, where there is only those ten students? I saw your student/staff ratio is great, just like employment (100 % - how can you manage to do that?).

I'm going to email the course leader, don't worry about it:) When should you have booked an accomodation? WIT should hire a webdesigner, the website isn't very easy to handle:( Didn't really get the accomodation part. It's inexpensive, they have a couple of different residences (according to safe sources on boards.ie you should avoid something called College st)

I hope to get to know about the living costs fairly soon. I'll get 1300 euros per month from the Swedish authorities (most of it is loan) + they will cover the registration fee cost + the cost for the flight (I'm Swedish), so I think I'll survive, but it's still interesting to know.

Can't someone write a guide to Waterford, similar to the "The only thing you got to know about UL is" in the UL-forum? What should you know? Someone list some pros and cons?:)

/John G

Hm, does anyone know some good way to ask the course leader if the course is heavy? I don't know how to put it, since "heavy" is such a hard-defined word:(

One site said the living costs were about 600 euros/month. Does that sound correct to you?

Deise_gal, what did you think about the courses that you had in common? Where they funny? Exciting? Hard? Did you see any FI students "in action"? I'm not trying to brag, but I'm doing fairly well here at high school (translated to the irish system I have something like 560-570 points, counting the best six subjects that is), so if it's heavy, that doesn't have to be a negative thing.

/John

just ask her about the work load? how many course hours on average?

Well i share economics and an accounting module with F& I which are grand like. The work you put in will be reflected in the results you get out!

Thank you for the advice:)

"Grand like"... grand like big, or grand like good, or grand like both?:) Sounds good. I really like economics, was thinking about studying economics somewhere else instead, but this course seem to have so much economics (not to mention the fact that WIT got a master's in economics and finance) that I think I'll like it anyway. I like finance too, btw, and since most economists (at least the one's who are reasonably paid) work in finance, it may be a good combination.

Back to the number of weeks... 12 weeks study, 2 weeks... 28 weeks per year? Or were their something more?

Thank you so much for your help
    /John

• Advertisement

Grand Like - its very mangable to attend all lectures, go out and party and have a part time job!

Well you have to account for 4 weeks of exams as well so say 32 weeks but then you have to remember the mid-term beaks & easter holidays etc!Now here is the calendar for the year so you can get the full picture!
    http://www2.wit.ie/WITResources/AcademicCalendar/

Okey. A flexible course, that is?

Hm, so including the exams, you are studying 32 weeks, and staying 38 (that's how much you pay for at the student residences)?

/John

i really dont know anything about student accomodation sorry!

I forgot you're living at home. Anyway, studying 32 weeks is correct, right? I know the accomodation is for 38 weeks, that's how it is everywhere.

/John

Advertisement