Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing and Tattooing horror stories - What's yours?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Was asked to post this here on behalf of a reporter.

Basically they're wondering why there isn't regulations put in place, so they want to hear stories from the regular joe about tattoo and piercing horror stories to push for rules and regulations to be put in place.

Please refrain from mentioning names and studios :) Want to remain as impartial as possible. If people mention studios or people I will remove them and warn people.

I will get the ball rolling;

Got my appa done in france, was pierced at 1.6mm instead of 2.4mm which caused a 'cheese cutter' effect (basically bar wasnt thick enough so was migrating :eek: ) also the placement was totally off. Not as bad as some may think but it was me private parts!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

none of the problems I have had personally were anything to do with lack of regulations.

however, I have numerous people a week come in to the shop with awful tattoos (got elsewhere...) that seemed like a good idea at 16, but hate them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

My mate was getting his ear pierced with a gun. The gun jammed when the earring was halfway through his ear and it had to be forced through.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

First time I inked myself I left about 3 quarters of an inch of the needle sticking out of the tube.It felt like I was using a stanley blade and bled like nothing Ive ever seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Horror piercing story was when I was having my bellybutton repierced and it was very, very sore (he said it was because of the scar tissue from the first piercing) but before he put in my new bar, the piercer flicked the needle when it was in my skin and informed me that I had ''lovely skin for piercing''... OUCH!!! Don't fricken flick it :mad:

Horror tattoo story was when the artist made a few mistakes in the piece and then tried to tell me that my skin was the problem. :confused: So we went for take two, two weeks after the first session and it was bleeding all over the place (eeww), plus the studio sucked, the tattoo is on my foot and the artist put my foot up onto his lap and worked away. When I went to another studio recently to have it fixed, the artist lay me down so I could relax and worked away on it without any bother. Lesson learned :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Getting my right lip pierced for the second time was a horrible experience.

I wanted a ring in it (silly mistake by me :() Anywho, he pierced away, but the needle got jammed against the clamp. Thus ensues much fiddling and random needle pokage in the middle of my lip. He got the needle through eventually, and inserted the ring.

My lip was starting to swell pretty badly, and a pretty nifty bruise was forming. The piercer left the gap in the ring for the ball too big. He then got a clamp, wrapped it in a glove, and decided to try and close the gap so that the ball would sit in the ring. Needless to say, the clamp glove device slipped off the ring and bashed into my bloody, swollen and bruised lip. *shudders* I squealed. I often wonder what made that whole debacle a good idea in his head.

He got the job done but I will never let him go near me ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Not as bad as any of the other stories so far, but when I got my belly button pierced the piercer got my friend to hold the clamp because she 'couldn't hold it and pierce at the same time'. Needless to say, she didn't actually give me a belly button piercing but rather a surface piercing near my belly button. I took it out 3 years ago and it still hasn't closed up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Well, seeing as it is to help regulate the industry, I guess I will share my horror story....don't judge! ;)

So way back when I was young and foolish (16), I decided to get my eyebrow pierced. I didn't really know anything about piercings back then, and popped along to the only place I knew that did it. It was done with a gun *shudders*, and because said place was neither good nor hygienic, the piercing and all surrounding tissue got horribly infected. From my eyebrow down to my chin was a very sorry sight indeed :(

Since then, I studied up on how things SHOULD be, and have not had a problem with a piercing since, other than healing issues with a helix.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Horror story - not sure if its true coz I didnt hear it from his own mouth...
    guy I know got a PA, bit of a dirty birdy and it got infected and changed his ..... area.... a nice shade of nothing normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Disgustingly infected earlobes gunned in Claire's when I was ten. My da had to use a pliers to get the left one out as the skin on my ear had grown over the back of the stud. Not a pleasant experience!

I think the biggest problem in the piercing industry is gun-wielding shops like Claire's - nothing can go right with a gun piercing!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Not really horrific but I went into a very well known piercing studio a few years ago with the intent of getting the cartilage at the top of my ear pierced. I indicated to the piercer where I wanted the piercing, and she did a dot on my ear where I wanted the piercing.

Now she only did one dot (like what they'd do when piercing your lobes) so I didn't have any reason to doubt that she was going to just pierce straight through the ear (as I wanted), so I was sitting there, needle went in, bob's your uncle, and she holds up a mirror for me to see. I think my jaw nearly hit the floor cos what she had given me was something I later discovered was called a 'rook'. The rook was a cool piercing and all, but I was stunned that she could have totally misinterpreted what I'd asked for! Also, the point where the needle went in was nowhere near the dot she'd drawn on my ear! So it wasn't even the case that she'd pierced where she'd shown me she was goin to!! I was actually so shocked I just paid and left, if it was now I'd be quick to tell her! The worst part was that the jewelry used was the wrong type, it should have been done with either a curved bar or a ring so the piercing would sit snugly in the ear, but mine was done with a straight bar, so after about 3 weeks it had migrated really badly, when I went into another studio (the one I use for all piercings now :)) I was told really the best bet was to take it out and try again with the right jewellery when it was healed. Needless to say I never went back to the other place :mad:

Actually I just remembered one really horrific thing, unfortunately it happened to a friend of mine, I posted about it in the 'Why Piercing Guns Should Never Be Used' thread. Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Someone I know had a word spelled incorrectly on their ass. The shame will last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

More funny than horror.

When i was 17 I wanted my to get lip pierced so bad,
    Went into the place and the guy there said he didnt do it,
    (which i choose to ignore)
    the piercing guy was off, and I needed my ma to come in.
    So without thinkn went and got my ma, brought her str8 there
    and said "Now will you pierce me?" and the guy that said
    he didnt do it before saw how determined i was and went
    "Sure I suppose I could do it?, like Iv done it b4"
    So I did...

3 years later Im sitting in my house, this big biker guy comes
    in to visit my mate, and he goes "Did I pierce you years ago?"
    I was like "yep" ..."**** me, You were the 2nd person I ever pierced" he says

hahaha...8 years later I still have it plus some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Had my navel streched...oh a good few years back now...in a very well known studio in Dublin city centre. Piercer was a very inexperienced apprentice...which I was not informed of...boss went off to lunch an left this idiot alone to the job. Took over an hour as she streched it mm by mm with a taper....could hear skin and tissue ripping.....nasty. Was too young and shy to question her method, was absolute agony :(

And a more recent streching story.....in Nov was in London and decided to strech up from 6mil, now before I get berated, I know I should have been happy with a 7, but I'd been wearing pretty hefty rings and with heavy balls and due to this there was already a little extra space there so I wanted to go straight to 8s. Piercer had no problem doing it, so I forked over my cash, picked out some pretty blue tunnels and hey presto, a non to happy looking lobe with a nasty blow-out. I assumed it was my own fault for going straight for 8s, had a piercer look at it when I got home.....she'd only gone and stuck a paid of 10s in...no bloody wonder there was a blow out. A lot of massaging and ice packs later, I was very lucky that the blow out settled back in and they are now happy again...but jesus was I worried for a while....and well pissed off, cause all the lovely sets of 8s I bought in London are now redundant!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xword

Probly doesnt count with all the horror stories but I spilled boiling hot cofee on my tat 10 mins after i had it done. took the selofane off to show my girlfriend and she knocked it over on to me. thought it would stain but didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

did something stupid and did anything piercing wise in camden!

firstly, the ball at fallen out of one of my lip piercings, and i had gone without it for two days. It was wrecking me head, so I went into a piercing studio to get a new one. the place where i had originally got my lip pierced had pierced it at 1.2 instead of 1.6....
    so i tell the woman its a small piercing and try to tell her what size it is. she just decides to judge for herself, and gived me a ball. of course she gave me a 1.6 and it wouldnt fit, so she had to go back and do it herself, like she didnt trust me to put it in.... >.>

i was meant to be getting a spider bite in my nose that day, but i didnt like how i was treated in the one shop, so i moved on to another.

big mistake. the guy who pierced me was teaching an apprentice. a piercing has never hurt so much ever. He just jabbed the needled in without a thought. then he yanked the needle around in my nose and manipulated my nose harshly to show the apprentice what he was doing. WTF?!?!! It hurt like a bitch....got so swollen, bled.

My eye teared like crazy due to the piercing, and the added trauma....adn then the guy (who was a sleaze) kept going "Oh darling, it is ok I am almost done!" (not to mentioned the winking and feeling me up) as if i was crying!! It made me wonder how many nose piercings he had actually done....

on top of it all, the piercing hole was the same size as the jewelry he put in! it hurt for weeks.

Advertisement