Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help needed with game called "Call of Juarez"

Options
  • 26-01-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all, hope i'm in the right place for this request.
    just begun Call of Juarez on the PC and have reached the spot where ive jumped out the window of Suzy's room and am supposed to escape from town by leaping over the broken part of the wooden fence......only thing is ...the fence aint broken!!....so how do i get onto the dirt road and make my escape??..tis driving me nuts this.
    lol
    thanks for any help you can give me...
    Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mikelongford

Many thanks Nipplenuts....theres enough reading in them thar faq's to keep my head down for a good while :)
    Cheers for now
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pwd wrote: »
    is it good?

It's fantastic. They even released a patch that makes the game support DX10.

Check out this thread over in the reviews section where I posted some screens from it a while back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054995002

It's up there with one of my favourite games of all time. With an excellent story and a real immersion into a western environment. I've heard the console version is quite bad though so you'd be best getting it for the PC like the OP.

Also, OP, you've probably already got past that bit, but If I remember correctly, you continue to move alongside the fence on the right until you do come to a broken part of it, once there jump over it and run for the hills, don't even hang around to try and fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I played it when it first came out and it was very buggy (poor frames and stuttering sound issues), spoiled what could have been a great experience, it was later patched but I've not gone back to it........maby I might just try it on directX 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I found it boring.

The slow mo kill ability is nice and funky when you first use it but it becomes repetitive and annoying whilst making the game a bit easy.

CoJ got uninstalled relatively quickly. I am still waiting on a decent western shooter to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I really enjoyed GUN and Red Dead Revolver on the consoles. Been toying with the idea of getting this on Xbox but if it's essentially crap on console I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I found it boring.

The slow mo kill ability is nice and funky when you first use it but it becomes repetitive and annoying whilst making the game a bit easy.

CoJ got uninstalled relatively quickly. I am still waiting on a decent western shooter to appear.

How far into it did you get? The slow mo is made easy for the first few levels to get the player used to it, I guess because you have to use 2 crosshairs. But later on you can't rely on it at all as it runs out too fast, so you are forced to shoot normally until it recharges. Plus as the game progresses, you play more and more as Billy who doesn't have the slow mo ability.

I also can't see how you found it repetitive, I mean its not like you are going from one corridor to the next using slow mo. I remember it being a very small part of it, you are either using stealth as Billy to move around camping Cowboys while timing your movements in between lightning flashes, figuring out ways to get to the top of a mine shaft and riding mine cars, exploring Aztec ruins, fist fighting, 1 on 1 gun draws, chasing down stage coaches on horseback, using a gattling gun to take out a Mexican fort, climbing a mountain in search of an eagles feather, hunting rabbits with a bow and arrow to give to an old Indian... etc

It's a pity you never completed it as it has one of the best stories and endings for an FPS that I've ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have to agree with it being a great game, although it was buggy I still cleared it and enjoyed it. Not repeditive at all IMO. Must have another bash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

One of the best games I have played to date. Amazing game. Some parts are difficult, but you will get through it. I completed it but I forget the ending :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I played this when it came out as well, and thought it was great. Some excellent parts, and it had a really good story (major plus for me). Billy was interesting, without being corny. I also loved the
    level where you have to climb the mountain
    . Graphics were amazing for the time, and with the DX10 patch, they still are pretty damn good.

It was also fantastic hearing Gul Dukat quoting the bible while shooting people in the face :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Kiith wrote: »
    It was also fantastic hearing Gul Dukat quoting the bible while shooting people in the face :p

Indeed I remember that from the demo. Massively impressed by his voice acting. He should do more games.

I played the demo and it didnt run too well, so I never played it. But now I've a good rig, might try this so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I bought this on the weekend after reading L31mr0ds review thread, and I have to say I'm seriously impressed. I remember seeing this when it came out, and scanning the back of the box before deciding it wasn't for me (mainly because I'd played Techlands previous effort "Chrome" and thought it was awfully ****). My experience with Call of Juarez just goes to show that sometimes, studios deserve a second chance to redeem themselves.

There is something very addictive about this game that I can't quite put my finger on. It might be the slow motion blasting of 2 pistols at once, the open landscape (demonstrated to brilliant effect on
    the mountain climbing level
    ), or maybe the fact that the weapons feel very satisfying to kill with without being overly complicated. No beefy assault rifles here, just good old wild west weaponry such as six shooters, sawn offs, rifles and whips.

Another point which has bumped this game into "awesome" status for me is the voice acting. It is simply the best acting I have heard in an FPS ever, and probably very close to making my top 3 of all time in that respect. Reverend Ray manages to come across perfectly as an almost fanatical man of god, boiling over with fire & brimstone while Billy genuinely sounds like a desperate man on the run, unable to comprehend why he is being chased for the murder of his parents. The story subsequently benefits greatly from this, and so far has also been one of the most engrossing & unique storylines I've experienced in an FPS. The episodic structure of the missions also allows the story to unfold at a nice pace, and you are always waiting to see whats coming next.

The levels themselves are greatly designed as well, with the rolling sandy & green hills making it all look exactly as you would expect from the wild west. Throw into that mix the little sub features of the game (horse riding, fist fights, gun duels) and it really starts to blend into one of the most unique & finest FPS games made. I'll dock one mark for the sometimes flimsy controls (xbox 360 version), but overall it would be a shame to pick holes in this title, when its clear that so much care & attention went into making it. I can't believe I skipped over this originally, but am delighted I got a second chance to give it a go. I highly recommend you do the same.

9/10

Advertisement