Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options
  • 26-01-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

Time to start a new log. My interests fit better here than in the Fitness Logs where my old thread was. Hopefully this log will make me start keeping to a plan again like I did before...

So my initial plan is to do the Wexford half-marathon in April - probably with the Great Ireland two weeks before.

Tonight:
    Some cross-training to start off with...

7.5 miles 25:00 Exercise bike

Stretching and some core work

Seated Row:
    7 plates: x10
    9 plates: x10 x10

Seated Leg Press:
    9 plates: x10 x10 x10

1 mile 10:00 Elliptical Cross-trainer

Feel good after first exercise in over a week... Tomorrow night is back on the roads hopefully!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

good stuff with your log. Have you any target times ? Best of luck with the training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I was wondering how long it would take you to move across :D Best of luck with the training and log.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Cheers guys, no times in mind to be honest, I've been so lazy about training for the last few months that I just need to get the distance up again!

It's been a rough week, been finding it hard to stay awake each evening so not much got done.

Today:

4.8 miles (7.71km) 41:32 - out in the mingin weather and didn't remotely enjoy it at all... Oh well, hopefully more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi xebec best of luck with your training and log
    have you run a half marathon before or is this your first?

SUNGOD wrote: »
    hi xebec best of luck with your training and log
    have you run a half marathon before or is this your first?

Hey SUNGOD, this'll be my first... I've never even done the distance while training so I'm a bit nervous about whether it'll be possible or not, especially seeing as I'm finding it hard to fit training in around my work schedule. And motivation has been a bit of a problem of late too... Ah well, if I don't have a goal then I definitely wouldn't succeed, so like last year I'm almost starting from nowhere...

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3/02

4 miles (6.45km) 33:20 - run on a treadmill, no way am I going out in this crappy weather, at least not at night time!!

Well last week was another disaster... Went out for dinner on Wednesday night instead of training. Thurs had an aborted attempt at running - did about 1.5 miles but could get a feel for it/catch my breath/ease off the shin splints - absolutely horrible. Weekend wasn't any better, being fuelled mainly by alcohol at the rugby match and afterwards with an American friend who was leaving.

Anyways, onwards and upwards...

Tues 10th Feb:
    4 miles (6.45km) 33:42 - reasonably happy with this workout, it was good just to get to the end of it. Short break in the middle when getting kicked off one treadmill and moving to another...

Back in the gym tonight, might be a shorter session...

6 x 400m 5k pace - 3.23 miles (5.2km) 30:08 - tough session tonight, haven't done one of these for about 8 months I'd say...

Thursday 12th:

3.1 miles (5km) 26:06 - woot! Three days in a row :) And pretty pleased with that time for a training run too... Wasn't exactly killing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Welcome aboard Xebec, best of luck with the new log.

• Advertisement

5.16 miles (8.3km) 43:14 - nice early run in the Park this morning. Seemed to be a good crowd gathering for the Cupid's Dash when I was going past the carpark at 0900.

3.53 miles (5.68km) 30:29 - lovely evening around the Park, perfect temperature. Can't wait till the evenings really brighten up... Felt ok starting out tonight, was tough in the middle but finished as strong as I've ever done.

Sunday was supposed to be a decent long run, but Saturday night and the rugby on Sunday put paid to that... Oh well, not going to worry about it too much as it was a good week last week and has started well this week. Might not be able to go for a run tomorrow, so hopefully tempo run on Thurs evening.

OK, so it's been a week... And a week of no training :(

As I mentioned, Wednesday was a no go because of other things going on, that was fine. But then Thursday morning I woke up with a horrible twinge in one of my glutes (no jokes about a pain in the ass please!) which meant it was hard to walk, not to mind to attempt running. This lasted until Saturday, and while I felt fine on Sunday I decided to take it easy and get back into a full week this week.

So this week was supposed to start last night, had planned on getting 4 miles in when I got home after work. Went to the dentist on the way home for a "check-up" and ended up having a first stage root canal done, so the last thing I wanted to do was go running. Ah well, all going well it'll be 4 miles tonight and a full week of training for the rest of the week...

On a positive note, I've finally paid my entry for the Great Ireland Run, this was my first big run last year so I'm really looking forward to doing it again - even though I probably won't get near my time from last year :( And even better, my company are allowing me to expense the cost through one of our sports clubs :)

4.67 miles (7.5km) 41:32 - Was a nice evening for a run, felt great on my way home... As soon as I started running my legs felt like lead, but I stuck with it and got through to the end without stopping :) Feel really good now for finally getting out for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

xebec wrote: »

On a positive note, I've finally paid my entry for the Great Ireland Run, this was my first big run last year so I'm really looking forward to doing it again - even though I probably won't get near my time from last year :( And even better, my company are allowing me to expense the cost through one of our sports clubs :)

Just signed up myself today for the GIR. Last year was also my first 10K so I am hoping to knock about 3 mins off last year's 44+ mins time.

Have you a target time for this race?

Best of luck.

Ok, so things obviously aren't going as well as I hoped... But it's a new week and time to get back on track again...

4.74 miles (7.63km) 41:23 - tough evening out in the wind, felt like a headwind for about 2/3 of the loop... Pleasantly surprised by the time as I thought it'd be much slower, did pick it up on the way home though.

The hardest part of this evening was my breathing, not helped by the headwind. I've given up cigarettes, I wasn't smoking that much anyway but anything at all is too much in reality. To motivate me, I'm going to reward myself periodically with running gear I need as long as I stay away from them...

dna_leri wrote: »
    Just signed up myself today for the GIR. Last year was also my first 10K so I am hoping to knock about 3 mins off last year's 44+ mins time.

Have you a target time for this race?

Best of luck.

Well last year my target was 50 mins, and I missed that by just over 30 secs. Considering the lack of training I've done over the last six months my priority is finishing, but 50 mins is still a good target for me...

35 min tempo run 4.11 miles (6.62km) - really glad to get through this, I've a real mental block with tempo runs... My heart rate was up near 190 at the end of the fastest bit of the run, that's a real sign of how unfit I am at the moment...

4.74 miles (7.63km) 40:42 - went out with the intention of taking it easy. Made it to half way in the same time as the last few runs, the 3/4 distance was faster than before even though I hadn't picked the pace up. Felt great to knock 40 seconds off that time without trying :)

Was feckin freezing outside tonight, was out a little earlier than usual, was nice to be (almost) able to see where I was going when cutting through Phoenix Park.

3.53 mile (5.68km) 30:08 - took some convincing to get me out tonight, but really enjoyed it towards the end...

• Advertisement

Had a horrible weekend, feeling like crap and getting a root canal done on Sat so didn't get out for any planned running... Was a pity cos last week was going well.

Tuesday 10/03

4.35 miles (7km) ~38:30 incl. 8x400 intervals

5.55 miles (8.93km) 47:53

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

xebec - short trail race down Wexford way near Ferns this Sunday morning that might appeal... More details on www.imra.ie

xebec - short trail race down Wexford way near Ferns this Sunday morning that might appeal... More details on www.imra.ie

Thanks for the heads up... But I'm going to stay in Dublin for the weekend, planning on doing the 5k in town on Sunday morning. Was my first race in years last year and really enjoyed it.

Saturday 14/03

3.38 miles (5.45km) 28:05

Tuesday 17/03

8.81 miles (14.2km) 1:23:xx - cracking day in Pheonix Park yesterday, got out early enough and delighted to complete this run! Hadn't been getting the long runs I was supposed to done over the last while so it's great to know that I can still run distances like this and it's a good place to build from over the next few weeks...

It's been a bad week again, between real-life, work commitments and not feeling well I haven't gotten any of my plan done... No need to stop me going out to today though:

10.13 miles (16.3km) 1:33:23 - longest run yet, didn't enjoy it at all... Needed a toilet after about 10 mins, but instead of turning back decided to carry on, made it to the end anyway... Hopefully a better week this week...

Decided to give last night's c.5 miler a miss due to legs being sore from Sunday, needing to do shopping on the way home and being freezing and starving when I eventually made it home...

Am now the proud owner of two lovely blisters on my heels due to the (much needed) new shoes I bought yesterday - Compeed to the rescue :)

Plan on getting out tonight, but it looks like tomorrow night's speed workout will have to be missed. Got a marathon training group meeting in Trinity followed by golf lessons with work, so that's my evening gone... Thursday might be a no-go aswell unfortunately, so will have to make the most of tonight...

So this week has been another disaster... Was demotivated at the start of the week and looking for any excuse to avoid running and the end of the week is mega busy... But not going to let it get me down, have a plan for Sat & Sun so gonna stick to that!

On the plus side... Joined a marathon training group for Dublin which should help keep the motivation up. It's being led by two Italians, one of whom is Simone Grassi who won the full Connemarathon last weekend so will hopefully learn a lot :)

Also, had my first ever golf lesson last night, absolutely loved it! Not going to let it get in the way of running though!

• Advertisement

3.53 miles (5.7km) 29:23 - finally got back out tonight after a tough weekend which included drunkenness, illness and work stuff...

Advertisement