Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great result, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

7.73 miles 1:05:13

Last run of any significance before the marathon. First quarter mile was around 9:40 pace, felt very stiff after yesterday and thought I was going to be in for a long slog around the hills of Wexford, but finished that first mile @ 9:04 and pace was nice and steady after that to average 8:26 the whole way around... Bit faster than planned but felt pretty good.

Rest of week are just 3 or 4 mile sessions, hopefully two while I'm in London and maybe another two Friday and Saturday...

YTD: 426.31 miles

4.23 miles 34:59

Four cold and wet miles along the north and south banks of the Thames, stupid construction meant I was up and down steps and running around back streets but most of it was down by the river... Nice and tidy 8:15 overall without too much effort, although I don't think I could have run much slower cos I was freezing and wanted to get back to the hotel. Second mile seems like it was a bit out though, running under bridges etc probably messed up the timing.

Had planned another 3-4 miles tomorrow, but was informed today that there's a big session on that I'm expected to show up to. Might come back to hotel first, do run and then head back to the bar for an hour or two... For some reason a night of 300 drunken English people I don't know doesn't seem to tempting at the moment...

3.20 miles 27:34

Much nicer evening for a run tonight. Taking it pretty handy just trying not to injure something - and almost went over on my ankle :pac: Decided to give the work drinks a miss, the other Irish weren't gonna be there anyway so good decision I think.

Travelling tomorrow, so no running. Few easy miles on Friday evening and then maybe a 2 miler either Sat or Sun just to turn the legs over, getting very close now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck with Cork, see you at the start line! You look well capable of sub 4 given your race times, especially last weeks race. Looks like we'll all be shacked up in Lancaster Lodge.

• Advertisement

3.00 miles 28:18

Nice and handy final run before Cork. Early start tomorrow for 4 hour bus down south, the Monday is the big day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

xebec wrote: »
    3.00 miles 28:18

Nice and handy final run before Cork. Early start tomorrow for 4 hour bus down south, the Monday is the big day :)

Best of luck on Monday your training has been realy good, now go and enjoy it :)

Ps.
    Was a rematch over the shorter distances in a few months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck with the race Xebec :)

Cork City Marathon

26.22 miles (26.48 by Garmin) 4:48:01

This is more of a ramble than a proper race report, should have done it before now but haven't been on Boards since the race... Unfortunately Monday wasn't a good day for me, but I'm raring to go for another one!

Went through half way in about 1:57:30 (my watch time), pretty much bang on target... Had been feeling very comfortable and was really enjoying it up that that point. Met some great people and the chats along the way definitely helped! Big shout out to Annette from Cobh who I ran with for 7 or 8 miles and Claire and Richard who made the few miles from Blackrock Castle bearable!

That's when things started to go wrong... Felt a twinge in my knee which wasn't clearing up. Managed to hold onto 4 hour pace until about 16 miles, gradually got slower to 19 miles until I couldn't keep a run up for more than a few hundred metres at a time. It was a long walk to the finish from there but I made it... Pretty depressing and demoralising to be walking past all the supporters urging you on and knowing you just can't give any more, but less so than having a DNF!

Anyway, knee is sorer today than it was yesterday, gonna take it easy for a week or two and get the thing looked at - best guess it's ITB/quad related - before getting back into the saddle. It's a real pity because the legs feel fresh and now I'm bursting with confidence that I can definitely go sub-4 for the marathon...

Now I've got to figure out a few things - what's going to be the next marathon? Dublin is the obvious choice... How will I be able to fit in training? I know that I'm in the UK until at least mid-September which means training time is curtailed by flying time at least one day a week so it's going to be tough to find the time. I'll figure it out over the next few weeks and make a decision sometime over the next few months...

YTD: 463.22 miles

Well done on getting through it, pretty much the same happened to me from mile 17 onwards, more walking than running. It was good to meet you and the others over the weekend, best of luck with everything over the next few months. You'll find the training time from somewhere i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good job on finishing - I know that 16-17 mile sinking feeling. Bottle it and use it bludgeon the next course into bloody submission !

2.96 miles 28:21

First recovery run after Cork. Real purpose of this run was to test out the knee to see what the next step is with it, no real problems with it during the run although I did start to feel it a little when I stopped... Going to hold off on the physio for now I think and see how it goes with a bit more rest and easy running...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi xebec,

Nice to meet you again in Cork. Sorry you had such a bad day, don't worry, there's always a better race just around the corner.

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi xebec,

Nice to meet you again in Cork. Sorry you had such a bad day, don't worry, there's always a better race just around the corner.

Cheers aero, great to meet you too! Not letting the race get me down, these things happen and I know I'm physically and mentally strong enough to hook it all together some day! Biggest task now is deciding on my next goal, very tempted by the Enniscorthy half if the knee holds up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well done for finishing been there myself and its not a nice way to finish a marathon. But the training will stand to you , if you can get out a couple of time while in the UK you that shuld keep you ticking over.

4.69 miles 42:04

Tough going this morning on the streets of Wexford... Pretty warm day out there, HR rate was flying and just couldn't get into any real rhythm... Ah well, tomorrow's another day :)

How is the knee?

aero2k wrote: »
    How is the knee?

Not bad, no real pain since Wednesday. Went for a short and easy run on Thursday without any problems apart from being a little stiff afterwards, no real problems today either. It's not 100% but not far off it, hopefully a little bit of quad strengthening and it'll be alright.

Pretty annoying though, could barely walk on the feckin thing on Monday and now it's fine, must have just tweaked something...

So how's the Ultra training going? Word on the street is you're lined up for either Dingle or Connemara... ;):p

So how's the Ultra training going? Word on the street is you're lined up for either Dingle or Connemara... ;):p

Don't you start - I'd recommend staying away from that street!

~5 miles

Went to join some other boardsies in the Park this morning. Watch died on the way there so no idea of time/distance. Run up to meet the guys was fine, knee started twinging a little shortly after that (~3 miles), made it to just over 4 before the pain was getting really bad and I realised I was getting further away from home. Said bye to the guys at that point and ended up walking a lot of the way home...

Physio visit this afternoon. Diagnosed the problem as a weakness in my glute as well as some inflamation just below the knee where the pain was worst. Rest, stretching and strengthening are the order of the day for the next few weeks, looks like Enniscorthy is a no go but I'll make that decision for definite next weekend.

• Advertisement

36 minutes exercise bike

Feeling crappy all day. Stupid kids on the flight this morning didn't help, and their posh parents weren't any better! Hopefully not getting sick, but really not feeling great. Appetite is ok though based on the amount I've eaten tonight! A short spin on the exercise bike this evening, no running on orders of physio...

Asked the guys in the office today if I'd get away with wearing a Slovenia jersey to watch the match on Wednesday afternoon, from their responses I don't think it'd be a good idea...

Hope the knee improves. The cycling should keep up the fitness at least so don't worry. Try and do aqua jogging if you can, its even better. I still have niggling injuries from Cork too, all those miles fighting the wind and rain really took their toll.

Strawberry Half Marathon Enniscorthy

7.96 miles 1:13:15

Obviously from the distance list above it should be clear I didn't finish the race. Pulled out at the point because I was starting to feel a twinge. Was a good decision in the end, I had a good run, didn't get injured and moderately enjoyed the day. Was great to see so many other Boards heads at this race, and apparently there was more that didn't hang around the hotel with us...

Despite the relatively positive post, I'm pretty pissed off about having an injury. The three weeks with very little running meant I was never in a position to do well today. Guess it's back to square one and try to get some more miles under the belt this week, next race won't be until the 5 mile in the race series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sorry to hear of your troubles xebec. Hope you get back running well soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Plenty of glute work in t'gym and it should help. Abduction exercises - weighted and non-weighted especially.

Sorry to hear of your troubles xebec. Hope you get back running well soon.

Cheers, I've had a very good year till now so it had to stop at some point! Anyway, it's just a blip in the works - I was tired and fed up yesterday, I'll pick it back up over the next few weeks.
    Plenty of glute work in t'gym and it should help. Abduction exercises - weighted and non-weighted especially.

Yes boss!

salute.jpg

3.77 miles 34:29

Just wanted to get out tonight to work out some frustration... Ran a bit harder than planned, but it was more the heat that was a killer than anything else - bit of rain and cool air would be nice tomorrow London!! No adverse effects, lots of stretching and stuff afterwards. Onwards and upwards :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yes boss!

salute.jpg

There's a good girl now.

4.96 miles 43:xx

Up early this morning to make up for the last two evenings... Been working late and food was a higher priority than exercise - if I had run first I wouldn't have been eating cos the restaurants would have been closed... Anyways, 6am starts will take a bit of getting used to. Was actually nice out there though, temperature was good and not too many people around.

Now I'm stuck in LCY waiting for a delayed plane, lucky me...

• Advertisement

5 miles 41:16 w/3 @ tempo (8:31, 7:42, 7:23)

Not quite what I had planned when I dragged myself out of bed early this morning, but good session and better than just plodding along at an easy pace!

Advertisement