Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

shels4ever wrote: »
    Your just going to get harder and harder to beat arent you :(

Well done on that pb, will you run the 10k in Frihouse?

Yep, you've got your work cut out :P Although I find XC tough and you're going to be well set going into the season...

Dunno about doing that race, it's the 11th Sept right? Pacing Dingle half the week before and want to give the Dublin half a good go the week after. Also, Arsenal are at home that day so might stay in London and watch that. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Aimman wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB, particularly after racing the day before too.

Cheers! Think on fresh legs I could have gone below 47 minutes on Sunday, so still plenty to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How was the head this morning?? :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    How was the head this morning?? :D

Head was fine, just tired as hell. Tonight is going to be an early night...

Here's a mile race for you, and it's on this Wednesday, not while you're away...

3.08 miles 28:02

Recovery run. Not too hot over here this evening and took it very handy so no problems. The tall buildings really make a mess of the Garmin signal so the pace is all over the place, made it hard to judge while running but just tried to keep it even and easy.

Fair play to Mo Farah this evening, absolutely blew the rest of the field away to win the 10k in Barcelona. Inspirational stuff!

• Advertisement

Cross training tonight, an hour of 5-a-side indoor football, got roped into a game between our team from work against another team on a different project... Not the biggest fan of football anyway and now I'm sore!!! As long as it doesn't stop me from training for the rest of the week I don't mind too much, we'll see...

4.92 miles 39:55

A combination of sore legs from football, mega stress at work, real-life and some bad decisions around alcohol mean that it's been nearly a week since I got out... Taking back-off week to the extreme! Ah well, tonight's plan was for 4, a wrong turn meant it was closer to 5 miles in the end. Managed to run at 8:00 pace without even trying, maybe taking a week off at a time is the way to go?!

(Had to go to page 5 to find my log :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey, just reading your recent race reports - well done on the half and the 10k PB. Hope your 10 mile training goes well. And remember - there's no such thing as a bad decision around alcohol!!

7.75 miles 1:07:20

Watch really messed up the first part of this run and gave me a 3:57 mile :eek: Not even in my dreams could I do that. Reset it and calculated the distance on gmap-pedometer when I got back. Plan was for about 8 miles tonight, little bit less but took a wrong turn so not too disappointed. Found it tough enough going but after the fast 5 last night that's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

xebec wrote: »
    Plan was for about 8 miles tonight, little bit less but took a wrong turn so not too disappointed.

Thats two wrong turns in two days. Its not a GPS watch you need, its a SATNAV :D

• Advertisement

Ah no need for a SatNav really. Yesterday was just thinking there was steps up to the other side of a bridge and then keeping going instead of going back under. Today I had an idea of where I was but was getting tired so wanted to start heading in the home direction...

Anyway, definitely no need for a SatNav here, just look for the tall building that I live near and run towards that ;)

4.13 miles 34:14

Faster than I planned. Tried holding back on the pace but then all of a sudden I'm under 8:20/mile. Not too fussed as long as I can hold it back over the weekend. Last run in London for a few weeks, bring on 3pm tomorrow when I can leave the office and get my flight back to Ireland for two weeks holidays :)

8.06 miles 1:08:55

Wow, it's amazing how things can change mid-run! First 6 miles of this were a slog, wasn't particularly enjoying it. Then shortly after the 6 mile mark I took it handy enough going up a short but steep hill and next thing you know the pace has dropped by about a minute a mile and I'm loving it! Glad I went and did this run now as I was very close to blowing it off for the day... Plan is for a 16 mile LSR tomorrow, but might wait till Monday as I'm off for two weeks :D

16.1 miles 2:26:20

Well after real-life got in the way yesterday, went for 16 miles this morning instead. Pretty warm at points, although I stopped for water and a gel after 11 miles and was frozen when I got going again... 9:05/mile is pretty good going for a LSR for me, so well happy with that. Toughest part was getting it up over 16 miles, big loop I did gave me just under 14 then had to run away from home (downhill knowing uphill to come) before running up one of the lanes near the house to make it the full 16. First proper long run of DCM training - although I have yet to decide if I'm running it or not ;)

Looks like there's 20 milers due the weekend of Dingle and the Dublin Half, will have to see how I adjust the schedule to suit that...

YTD: 619.20 miles

Just thought I'd add some extra observations from today's run... Was suffering a little from shin splints over the first 4 or 5 miles, if I was running any faster I don't think I'd have been able to do any kind of high mileage. Though I had left those behind a long time ago, but just shows that a bit of tightness can cause some major problems. Anyway, finished up and they seemed to have worked themselves out, will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Also, nipple rash is something that gets mentioned pretty often on here. As usual, today I had a little bit of it but no big deal. Strangely though, I have two new friction burns which are much more painful! One running along the outside of my right buttock and the other across my lower back - both from carrying gels in different pockets in my shorts... Never heard of these before, will be BodyGliding these areas now too! The one on the lower back was particularly bad as my backpack was rubbing directly against it this evening... The fun and games we have with long distance running :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

First proper long run of DCM training - although I have yet to decide if I'm running it or not

Yeah its the same with me, i did my first run over 10 miles yesterday since Cork. Still holding onto the idea that i can do DCM off 25-30 miles a week. I just know that if i don't run i will end up watching it wishing i was out there running. I'm gonna wait until the half to decide and i suggest you do the same. First level of cheap entry has gone now anyway.

BHAA Irish Life & Permanent 3000m, Irishtown Stadium

1.89 miles (3k) 12:43
    + 1.08 miles warmup = 2.97 miles total

PB alert!! Well ok, I've never raced this distance before so it was always gonna be a PB ;) Plan for today was ~4 miles so decided this fast workout would be just as good, plus it feels like ages since I've been to a BHAA race and I won't be able to get to another until XC season starts.

Decided to aim for about 13:00 for the 3k and see how I felt. The race was handicapped with 15 seconds between each grade, I was in the third last grade to start so had plenty of targets to aim for! First lap was pretty much on target at about 1:42, second lap pretty much the same.

Was overtaken at the start of the 3rd lap by two runners from a better standard (had started behind me) and decided I was having none of that, tagged along at the back of them for about 200m before taking one place back on the back straight. The other runner was starting to pull away at this stage and I couldn't keep up with him - think he might have won... That was the only place I conceded during the race (the other was right at the start).

The next few laps weren't particularly eventful, just picking off the runners who started ahead of me one by one. Went through the first mile in 6:42, which is a PB as well - didn't know I could run that fast. Got namechecked quite a few times by the announcer which was nice, never happened before. At one point she called out that I was coming 2nd, but was impossible to be sure as there was a lot of overtaking going on.

Concentrated on keeping the pace consistent to the end and not letting anyone past me. Was definitely working hard, HR averaged 188 for the second half of the race! Finished in 3rd overall, very pleasant surprise and my first time winning a prize for running since schools 4x100m.

All-in-all an excellent experience. Really enjoyed the staggered start with the handicap system. Will definitely be back to try track races again and would encourage everyone to give it a go, you don't need to be top-class runner to get out on the track!

7.76 miles 1:05:19

Page 5 to find my log :eek: Again real life has gotten in the way of more important things like running... A combination of work functions and moving apartment stopped me getting out after the race last week. Ah well, what's done is done. Apartment crap is over and I'm so glad, found it pretty stressful even though I was only moving half a mile - 3 years is plenty of time to build up a lot of crap!!

Finally out tonight. No real plan going out, just going to see how I felt when I reached the park. Was pretty wet out but ok for running, once I got through the top of the park it wasn't in my face any more and was able to settle into a nice pace. In the end kept going to do a full lap of the park and back home. Average pace was 8:25, with the last .76 miles at 7:45 so nice and tidy workout - although HR was very high, but putting that down to the fact that I'm wrecked tired, the effort didn't match the HR.

Off to Edinburgh in the morning for a few days of visiting friends and the fringe festival. Brining the running gear with me but obviously running won't be the top priority... Will try to get two runs in while I'm there to set me up for the 10 mile race at the weekend.

4.07 miles 35:37

So running while on holiday didn't happen, mainly for logistical reasons, but the walking up and down hills meant I wasn't completely inactive... Just 4 easy miles this afternoon to loosen the legs out for tomorrow and to get enough blood flowing to allow for a good stretch. Not sure I'm looking forward to tomorrow now, my original goal was 78 minutes, but I think something around 80-82 minutes is more realistic based on the last two weeks training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck tomorrow xebec. Just catching up on your log. Ahem... how many pbs this year? Keep the ball rolling....

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow xebec. Just catching up on your log. Ahem... how many pbs this year? Keep the ball rolling....

Cheers, it's been a good year alright... All the long miles in marathon training are really helping with the other distances - now if only I could hook a marathon together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4.07 miles 35:37

So running while on holiday didn't happen, mainly for logistical reasons, but the walking up and down hills meant I wasn't completely inactive... Just 4 easy miles this afternoon to loosen the legs out for tomorrow and to get enough blood flowing to allow for a good stretch. Not sure I'm looking forward to tomorrow now, my original goal was 78 minutes, but I think something around 80-82 minutes is more realistic based on the last two weeks training...

I would have offered to run around with you for 78-80 minute finish but even that is probably too fast for me at the moment. See you in ryans after the race anyway, if you want to wait I should be coming home with OI in around 90 minutes

Frank Duffy 10 mile, Phoenix Park

10 miles 1:21:22

Not what I was hoping for, but still a PB.

Started in pretty much the right position, a bit back in the 2nd wave. Made a rookie mistake and needed a piss stop after a mile and a half (spent that distance trying to find a tree close enough). Found it ok over the first few miles, kept the pace around 7:50/mile which would obviously get me around in under 80 minutes. Started to get hard around the 4 mile mark and going down Chesterfield Avenue was tough but still held the same pace.

Upped it a little in preparation for the hill at the Magazine Fort, held the pace up the hill and used mile 7 to recover a little. Stopped for a quick slug of water at the start of mile 8 as the heat was starting to get to me a bit.

Then I felt like I hit a wall. At the short path between the roads by St Marys I felt like I had nothing left. Stopped to catch my breath and try to get my HR under control. After that I couldn't get going again at all. Average over the last three miles was outside 8:30 pace, couldn't get it any higher as I just had nothing left. Got to the finish absolutely wrecked and not feeling like I could have given it any more. Oh well, it just wasn't my day.

Just shows what a few bad weeks training and a few too many beers during the week in Edinburgh can have such an effect on a race. Average HR for the race was 181 which is too high to maintain, I wasn't in the shape I needed to be to hold the pace. Will try to learn from these mistakes and get my preparation right for the half marathon next month - pacing the half in Dingle should help with that.

YTD: 644.00 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

It's a bit of a bogey race I think, still a great time though. Is say you are definitely good for sub 80, just a bad day at the office. See you next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I think the pic I got of you reminds me of Daffyd from little Brittain :D

Woddle wrote: »
    I think the pic I got of you reminds me of Daffyd from little Brittain :D

Not too sure how to take that...

Not too sure how to take that...

I'm only slagging, because the shot was so rushed, I got my angles all wrong and at first glimpse it just looked a little camp. No offense.

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm only slagging, because the shot was so rushed, I got my angles all wrong and at first glimpse it just looked a little camp. No offense.

None taken. It does look a bit camp alright, all twisted around trying to look at you :rolleyes: Won't be stealing that one for FB!

None taken. It does look a bit camp alright, all twisted around trying to look at you :rolleyes: Won't be stealing that one for FB!

Need to get you a singlet ;)
    I tend to give singlet wearers more frames to work with :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I kept expecting you to overtake me yesterday. Luckily it never happened that would have made a bad day even worse. :D

Advertisement