Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

4.76 miles 38:16

Well that didn't go entirely to plan... Pretty horrific weather out there by the time I got out of work but still pushed myself out the door for a 5 mile "recovery" run. It ended up being more of a LT session, but it felt ok while doing it and I guess the couple of days since Saturdays 20 miles have meant that my legs were fine this evening. Still enough time to recover from that before the half on Saturday and it's given me a bit of confidence that I can go for 1:45. Dunno how much running I'm going to get in over the next few days, but will try to get 2 runs in between now and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Do you want a pacer for 1'45 on Saturday? i was planning on running at that pace anyway so its all the same with me.

Do you want a pacer for 1'45 on Saturday? i was planning on running at that pace anyway so its all the same with me.

It'd be good alright, but I'm better at doing my own thing than sitting on someone's shoulder... It'd be cool if I knew you were doing that pace and could keep you in sight though. If I see you before the race on Sat we can talk about it a bit more...

Looks like there might have to be a change of plan for Saturday. Have gotten out very little this week - Monday was work drinks, ran on Tuesday, planned to go Wednesday morning but had to go to a pointless 8am meeting instead and then to the Emirates last night. There was no hope of me running this morning, haven't gotten a full night's sleep all week and was absolutely wrecked.

Anyway, reason for possible change of plan on Saturday is that I've also gotten a little bit of a chest infection. Not bad enough to stop me running, but bad enough to mean I will have trouble breaking my PB. Will wait till Saturday morning to make the final decision, but it's a bit annoying really, was hoping for a fast one...

Sitting in LCY now so obviously no running tonight, plan is to get a few easy miles to loosen up the legs tomorrow evening before seeing how I feel on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Dont worry too much about missing the running , tonights sleep is the important one before the race on Saturday, so make sure you get a good rest. Your fitness levels should be high enough not to lose anything, sure you knocked out a 20 miler on Saturday.

Rest tonight, get a couple of easy miles in tomorrow (just a couple, the earlier the better) then more rest for Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow!

I'm gonna bottle it.... ;)

2.50 miles 22:34

Just out for a short and easy run to loosen the legs up. Found it tough enough even keeping this pace, particularly over the first mile. PB attempt tomorrow is gone out the window if I'm sensible - although I might not be, will decide in the morning...

Dublin Half Marathon

13.18 miles 1:44:43

Well that was an interesting day... After being sick all week I really wasn't feeling up to it when I woke up yesterday and almost didn't put the running gear on, glad I did though! Up in the Park nice and early for a chat with the pacers and others. Decided that I was going to take it easy enough and go with the 1:50 pacers and see if I could stay with them...

Ran the first mile chasing after Oisin11178 as he weaved through the crowd and was surprised by how good I felt. The plan went out the window at that stage, the first mile was so easy that I decided to crank up the pace a bit. Next three miles were all just under 8:00/mile and still easy. After 4 miles it was time to pick the pace again to make up the time lost over the first mile and to bank a little time before the hills. Went from about 20 seconds down to about 30 seconds ahead of target over the next three miles but still didn't feel like I was working too hard.

The Kyber was surprisingly easy, first half of that mile was pretty fast and then once I hit the hill it was very much a case of putting the head down and trying to keep the effort level the same. Didn't look at the Garmin going up the hill as I wanted to run by feel for the hill rather than chasing a pace target, so was pleasantly surprised to hear it beep at the top and show 8:00 for that mile - didn't lose any time on the hill!

Next few miles were pretty uneventful, still knocking them out at under 8:00/mile. Heading down into the Furry Glen my worst fear was realised, the knee started to give trouble again. Kept going to the point where we turned onto Ordnance Survey Rd but had to stop there to stretch it out. Figured the sub-1:45 attempt was out the window at this stage but wanted to keep plugging on and get a PB anyway. Had to stop twice more over the last mile which was really disappointing.

Somehow despite this I still managed to get in at 1:44:43, I'm absolutely thrilled with that time! Went through 10 miles about 2 minutes faster than my PB too which was a pleasant surprise. Glad I gave the race a go and really obviously really happy with the result. Sometimes you don't know how you're going to feel without giving things a go and today it all worked out :)

Far too much fun was had in Ryan's afterwards, pretty tired today!

YTD: 765.33 miles

4.82 miles 41:44

Out in London tonight, pretty frustrating tbh. Watch was acting up and kept dropping signal, reset it after a little more than a mile as it was showing accuracy of ~90ft instead of the normal ~20ft. Also feeling a pain in my right hamstring which wasn't too comfortable, didn't stop me running but definitely wouldn't run any faster on it.

Anyway, everything is sorted for Cork to Cobh now. Flights booked direct to Cork and a very kind Boardsie providing B&B for the Sat night. Really looking forward to it, although I'm unsure how I should pace it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Xebec, well done on the half last Saturday.

Do you need a lift back to Dublin or are you returning through Cork after Cork to Cobh? Planning to take the race as serious but not deadly serious, something round 7.45/8 min pace. Would that suit you but am willing to be open to pacing suggestions once its not too fast (tis my last weekend on beer before Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

xebec wrote: »
    Really looking forward to it, although I'm unsure how I should pace it...

Same as the half, 8 minute miles, you're well able for that.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Do you need a lift back to Dublin or are you returning through Cork after Cork to Cobh? Planning to take the race as serious but not deadly serious, something round 7.45/8 min pace. Would that suit you but am willing to be open to pacing suggestions once its not too fast (tis my last weekend on beer before Dublin)

No need for a lift thanks. Was asked to stay in London for a late meeting on Friday so negotiated flights direct to and from Cork instead of flying to Dublin that weekend so all sorted.

Are you on the beer the night before?!
    Same as the half, 8 minute miles, you're well able for that.

McMillan says 8:04 based on the half time (giving ~2:01), but got to decide what's best for DCM - I've finally signed up! Was thinking about keeping it between 8:15 and 8:30 for the first 10 miles and then cranking it up for the last 5 if it felt good. Probably a decision I'll make on the day, something like the half where I take it easy for the first mile and then go sub-8:00 for the rest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've finally signed up!
    About fcuking time :pac::p

I've finally signed up!

I hate you!

Marathons are crap anyway.

Don't think you'd have any problem doing Cork to Cobh at 8 - 8:05 pace 3 weeks out from the marathon though, depending on how your knee holds up.

Well done on signing up for Dublin.

As for Cork, don't know if i'll stay in city for ease the following morning or in Midleton with friends. Whichever way, i will hve a couple of pints the night before nothing mad. Whatever happens, its a PB:D

I hate you!

Marathons are crap anyway.

Don't think you'd have any problem doing Cork to Cobh at 8 - 8:05 pace 3 weeks out from the marathon though, depending on how your knee holds up.

Will see how I feel on the day and decide then. As with the half I'll probably make an easy plan and let it go out the window after a mile. Not too worried about the time although it would be nice to go under 2:05!
    Well done on signing up for Dublin.

As for Cork, don't know if i'll stay in city for ease the following morning or in Midleton with friends. Whichever way, i will hve a couple of pints the night before nothing mad. Whatever happens, its a PB:D

Yep, it'll be a PB for me too! Not sure if it'll be number 11 or 12 (deffo 7th different distance), but either way it's been a pretty good year ;)

10.00 miles 1:28:51

Legs. Very. Sore.

Legs haven't fully recovered from the weekend but didn't have any problems with the distance tonight. Still a little tweak on the right hamstring but not an issue at this pace... Loads of tourists out on the south bank tonight and quite a few runners on the north bank. It's been a gorgeous day over here, lots of sunshine, wasn't too hot out tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Still feeling the weekend in the legs myself. Half marathons are no joke. Good run today regardless

18.42 miles 2:56:55

Realised it wasn't going to be my day very early today... Didn't want to get out of bed this morning, felt like I needed more sleep but dragged the body out anyway. Coming down the stairs barefoot just before I was due to leave I slipped and twisted my knee a little, no significant damage but not ideal before a long run!!

Anyway, ran ~3.5 miles up to the Knockmaroon gate to meet the gang. Next 10 miles went fine, although I felt like I was working harder than I would have liked... Checking the HR afterwards though it wasn't too bad. Hung with the group for the next 3 miles or so but at this stage I was starting to feel dizzy and cold - obvious sign of being undernourished. Popped another gel and decided that a good 18+ was better than struggling to finish out the full 20 so headed straight home from there.

Overall the pace was good (averaging 9:36/mile) and I'm happy to have gotten another solid three hour run done, but it would have been nice to have a second 20 under my belt. Will decide after Cork to Cobh next week whether or not there is any benefit of going for another 20 two weeks out from Dublin...

YTD: 798.56 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

. Will decide after Cork to Cobh next week whether or not there is any benefit of going for another 20 two weeks out from Dublin...

YTD: 798.56 miles

I might see you at C2C next weekend - im thinking of doing it as a training run to see where i stand to see if i think i could go and do clonakilty marathon in december instead of the half.

Il let ya know anyway, look at bus or trains first - would be nice to meet up with some other boardsies. HM will be doing it too i presume seeing as its on her doorstep practically

• Advertisement

Don't be too hard on yourself for not doing 20 as if you weren't feeling the best, caution is the best thing. I have to say i felt cold in parts too when the sun went behind a cloud.

Anyway might how you go.

ULstudent wrote: »
    I might see you at C2C next weekend - im thinking of doing it as a training run to see where i stand to see if i think i could go and do clonakilty marathon in december instead of the half.

Il let ya know anyway, look at bus or trains first - would be nice to meet up with some other boardsies. HM will be doing it too i presume seeing as its on her doorstep practically

Cool would be great to meet another boardsie - I don't think we've met yet have we? Long way out from Clon to decide on full over half though don't ya think? HM will deffo be around, she's putting me up on Sat night, I presume Zuppy will be there too if he's not working and chinguetti is heading down as well...

On another note, picked up a pair of Lunar Elites today, have been searching for my size for ages. Felt good trying them on in the shop, looking forward to using them on some shorter stuff this week...

Don't be too hard on yourself for not doing 20 as if you weren't feeling the best, caution is the best thing. I have to say i felt cold in parts too when the sun went behind a cloud.

Anyway might how you go.

Cheers, yeah I know caution is best, but it's a good psychological boost to have another 20 under the belt ;) Anyway, these few LSRs have been so much easier and better quality than any I've done in marathon training before so all good!

Wasn't that kind of cold, more shivering from blood sugar going too low, not something that happens often and food always sorts it out, although I was freezing for a few hours after I got back to my flat.

Bloody knee is sore this evening :mad: Not killer pain, had no real problems walking around town this afternoon, but still not right. The slip on the stairs this morning definitely didn't help it.

Seeya in Cork next weekend :)

Bloody knee is sore this evening :mad:

Is it time for someone to get judgemental with you seen as you've been doing it to us in our logs? :pac:

Is it time for someone to get judgemental with you seen as you've been doing it to us in our logs? :pac:

Feel free, not like you ever listen to me anyway :pac: It's an issue I know I have, I know what causes it and I'm working on getting rid of it. TBH, it was more aggravated by the fall this morning than by the running...

Feel free to get as sanctimonious as you like, it will be duly ignored :pac: Oh, and if you're still considering DCM I'm going to tell aero :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Feel free, not like you ever listen to me anyway :pac: It's an issue I know I have, I know what causes it and I'm working on getting rid of it. TBH, it was more aggravated by the fall this morning than by the running...

Feel free to get as sanctimonious as you like, it will be duly ignored :pac: Oh, and if you're still considering DCM I'm going to tell aero :P

I'm only trying to run a 5k race with a slight groin injury and have been taking grief from you for weeks, you're gonna run a 15 miler with a dodgy knee :rolleyes: Contraciction anywhere?

Do as I say not as I do:p That's my mantra too!

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm only trying to run a 5k race with a slight groin injury and have been taking grief from you for weeks, you're gonna run a 15 miler with a dodgy knee :rolleyes: Contraciction anywhere?

Yep, lots of contradictions! But you've done so much work for DCM that everyone is just worried that you're taking your eye off the larger prize for a short term goal... Seeing your post on your plan for tomorrow has changed my mind.

Of course :pac:

Stubborn virgos...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Stubborn virgos...

One of our best qualities! See you in Cork Xebec!

• Advertisement

No running today. Pretty wrecked, sitting in restaurant having dinner before heading home to chill in front of the TV and early to bed. Been a long day with delayed flight this morning and not getting out of the office till after half 7.

On the plus side, finally bought myself a DSLR and then got the nice surprise of lots of owed overtime in my payslip which will pay for it!

Advertisement