Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

xebec wrote: »
    On the plus side, finally bought myself a DSLR and then got the nice surprise of lots of owed overtime in my payslip which will pay for it!

Hmm... I thought DSLR meant Double Slow Long Run. Damn, theres too many acronyms about :(

Nice one. Does this mean you'll be spending more time photographing races, instead of running them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Aimman wrote: »
    Nice one. Does this mean you'll be spending more time photographing races, instead of running them?

Not likely, but another excuse to show up to races I'm not running ;)

4.86 miles 41:28

Up early this morning to get a run in, real life has been getting in the way for the last few days and prevents me from running tonight so this was the only solution... Very muggy and warm for 6am beside the Thames, but nice enough run all the same. First time out in the Lunar Elites, they'll take a bit of getting used to. Felt like my feet were slapping the ground instead of running over it, but I guess it's cos there's a little less cushioning in them than I'm used to.

6.10 miles 49:42

Down by the river tonight... First three miles way to fast, just seemed like the right thing at the time, think averaged about 8:00/mile, was hard but not overly so. Took it a bit easier coming back, just around 8:30/mile, I remember when that was a fast pace!! Out in the Nikes again tonight, no real issues but still getting used to them.

BHAA Cork to Cobh 15 mile

15.06 miles 2:06:45

15 miles is an unusual race distance, and I found it pretty tough! Plan for today was to try to hit 8:30/mile throughout in preparation for Dublin. Unfortunately that didn't quite go to plan, pace was all over the place from the start.

Group was very slow to get away from the start line with a lot of people jumping across others to get to the footpath, but once we started moving the first 5 miles were pretty uneventful.

Pit-stop during the 6th mile brought the pace down to 8:39 for that one, but that was more like I wanted. Was forward and back with Wally Runs and a few others over the next few miles. Short water and gel break at mile 10 before catching up with Wally again, but things got tougher from there.

Found miles 12 and 13 tough, but still held the pace reasonably well. Went through half marathon at 1:50 which is pretty tidy. Mile 14 nearly killed me though!! Was pretty much all uphill and when I thought we had reached the top we turned another corner and found another climb... Nothing majorly steep but enough to knock the stuffing out of me. Fell in beside another runner at that stage and we ran the last mile and a bit together which definitely helped distract from the pain we were going through!

On the last descent into Cobh I spotted HM ahead for the first time in the race. Flew down the hill to catch her, said hi quickly before she challenged me to a sprint finish! Gave it my all and just pipped her - and nearly ploughed a kid out of it who's parents had let him step on the road where there was barely enough room for one person, luckily avoided that!

All in all, the race wasn't the confidence boost for Dublin that I had hoped. I managed to beat my target time but never really felt as comfortable as I had hoped I would at that pace. Could line up the excuses but not going to bother. Will decide over the next week what the plan is, but looks like another high mileage week before the taper starts.

The race organisation for this was top class. Registration was dead easy and fast - especially considering my entry had gotten lost somewhere... There was five water stops along the route (at least, I lost count!) as well as Jelly beans at about 11 miles. Excellent spread in the local hall afterwards and bag collection was quick - once you had climbed the very steep hill to get there! Very few races could challenge this one for value for money.

Great weekend in Cobh and glad that I made the trip. Early to bed tonight and don't have worry about a 5am start this week for once :)

• Advertisement

5.08 miles 45:27

Recovery run. Legs pretty sore after yesterday but loosened up during this. Not much else to report...

9.82 miles 1:27:40

Out late tonight... Feckin managers, told her all day that I wanted to get out on time then she scheduled a 6pm meeting so it was 8pm before I left for my run. Was so hard to motivate myself to get out but sucked it up by reminding myself that it's the last hard week before Dublin.

Run went pretty well. Only mishap was almost adding on a long extra bit in the middle. Stopped at Vauxhall Bridge and asked another runner how far away the next bridge was, he said half a mile when it was more like 1.5 miles. Was behind buildings and on a curve in the river so didn't realise how far away it was for .7 of a mile, made the sensible decision to turn back and cross the river at the bridge I knew.

Pace was pretty steady and very comfortable the whole way round so all good.

YTD: 839.48 miles

4.74 miles 39:27

Would have thought that by now I would have figured out a decent 5 mile route! All my routes are a little too short and didn't feel like doing a lap around the block tonight... A little faster but still well within myself. Can't remember the last time I ran 4 days in a row, feels good! Two more sessions and then it's taper time!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was going to comment on your three days in a row, never mind four. Be careful with that knee.

I was going to comment on your three days in a row, never mind four. Be careful with that knee.

Will do. No problems so far this week. Wondering if the new shoes are helping a bit... Debating whether or not to give them a go on LSR this weekend...

Rest day tomorrow and probably Friday too, just needed to get the runs in around work as usual and no excuses this week.

• Advertisement

Of course it's the shoes. *Lunaranythings solve everything. :cool:

*nope, Nike still aren't paying me for being their pimp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Whats your goal for dublin xebec?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Whats your goal for dublin xebec?

Was toying with 3:45 but Cork to Cobh has put me off that a little. Managed under that pace for the 15 miles there but it wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be. Currently the head is saying 4:00...

TBH final decision probably won't be made till I see how I feel on the day.

20.00 miles 3:03:55

It's taper time, that was the last LSR before Dublin! Met up with the gang at 9am with 3.5 miles already under my belt. Meno started talking about doing the last 3 miles of my LSR at PMP, but I was more worried about reaching the distance! Reached 13.5 miles (about 10 for the guys) and I felt shagged, had taken a gel at about 11 and took another one at this point. My mind wasn't in it at all and I wasn't really having any fun but decided to crack on anyway and turn home if I started feeling really bad.

Mood and body picked up a little over the next few miles. Left chinguetti, The Wexican and Grimbergen at about 13 miles as they were finishing up there and meno got his wish. Picked up the pace and felt surprisingly comfortable, last three miles were 8:41, 8:21 and 7:56. I'm thrilled with those miles, who knew I could knock out a HMP mile 19 miles into a LSR?! Big credit goes to meno and RAL3, never would have done that pace by myself...

And the biggest bonus of all - no knee pain!!! Put on the "wrong" pair of runners this morning by mistake, but the Lunar Elites are doing 26.2 miles around Dublin now seeing as they faired so well today. Now just got to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing over the next few weeks, been so focused on LSRs and races for a while it'll be weird having a big comedown.

Let the taper madness begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one! That's a great run to have got in, bit of a confidence builder before Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Very enjoyable run this morning Xebec and well done on a very strong finish.

Enjoy the taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

good to hear that it finished up well xebec. Enjoy the taper.

4.15 miles 37:30

Taper madness has officially started - feeling niggles where I don't normally feel them!! Anyway, legs felt pretty good after the 20 yesterday so out for 4 miles recovery this evening - not exactly sure what recovery pace is anymore but this felt pretty ok.

Think I've finally made up my mind about what pace to run on the day, but not making it official until then...

Congrats in advance on your 3:44:58!

Edit: and now I feel bad for wussing out on my 'recovery' run.

Congrats in advance on your 3:44:58!

Edit: and now I feel bad for wussing out on my 'recovery' run.

Is that just ahead of your 3:44:59?! :P

And you shouldn't be so lazy!

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Is that just ahead of your 3:44:59?! :P

And you shouldn't be so lazy!

Well I'm not running/racing it, but you'd never beat me in a sprint finish. :cool:

Well I'm not running/racing it, but you'd never beat me in a sprint finish. :cool:

Do I hear a challenge?! Last time I was challenged to a sprint finish I believe I wiped the floor with my opponent...

I'm not running remember. Maybe in Barcelona... :pac:

6.11 miles 49:53

Almost gave up going out tonight to have a social evening with work colleagues, but sneaked out the door shortly after 6 (that's early) and got my 6 miles in before heading to the pub to watch the football with them - the England game was so bad we left at half time! Handy enough run tonight, pace was pretty decent and not uncomfortable, although HR was a little higher than I would have liked...

Might not make it out tomorrow as there's a late meeting I'm supposed to go to, but wouldn't be the end of the world, think I'm due a rest day after 30 miles over the last three days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Sounds like you are in good form all right. Will you be going with Frank and the other 3:45 pacer or are you planning your own way around?

Sounds like you are in good form all right. Will you be going with Frank and the other 3:45 pacer or are you planning your own way around?

Not totally sure what I'm doing yet, have a bit of a plan forming but keeping things under my hat for the moment. Not a big fan of following pacers but will see how I feel on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Just nosing through your log now, well done on finishing strongly on Sunday. I remember when we were finishing up our part, you were in two minds about whether to go on. Must be a nice confidence booster to finish with 3 fast miles like that.

Decided last night that it was time for a night off. Wasn't too tired but not too motivated to go out either. Managed to avoid the temptation of a free beer session which was good...

Left me with a dilemma this morning though - to get up early to run or not? Set the alarm, woke up, decided not to get out of bed, decided that I was awake anyway so got up, used the bathroom and looked out the window, decided to get back into bed. Lots of changing of mind going on! In the end I also slept in, but only by a little, luckily it's less than 15 minutes walk to work even dragging a suitcase so made it in on time.

No running today then, still not sure what the plan is for tomorrow, another work session is planned that I really should go to although might skip out of it and go running instead.

Friday 15/10

4.01 miles 33:51

• Advertisement

8.17 miles 1:11:23

Struggled to get motivated to go out today. First proper lie-in in ages and made the most of it. So out for a run around lunchtime, haven't done that in a long time either!

The run was fine. It was supposed to be at roughly LSR pace, that was never going to happen but I didn't want to push it either. Went by perceived effort and the 8:44/mile it ended up being was dead easy - just need to do that 3 and a bit times next Monday and I'll be well under 4:00!

Not really sure what the plan is for the next week. Early flight tomorrow but will try to get out tomorrow night, then Tues there's a work function I'm supposed to attend, Wed I'm flying in the evening, Thurs evening I'm selling the dream to lots of college students - running is going to have to be fit in there somewhere! Not ideal prep for next week, but the hard work is done.

Advertisement