Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I have my witty poster thinking cap on for the week and I'll get out the arts and crafts supplies at the weekend.

I really don’t think I’ll deserve pints on Monday now in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

claralara wrote: »
    I really don’t think I’ll deserve pints on Monday now in fairness!!

Well if you do enough shouting to support the rest of us Boardsies (and everyone else) then I think you'll have earned one or two ;)

OK, I knew this week was going to be tough running wise, but I didn't expect it to start so badly. Only home from work a short while ago - not ideal after being up before 5am :eek: So all I wanted was food and to get to bed early. Will set the alarm for an early start in the morning but not sure I'll get up...

YTD: 886.66 miles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wouldn't be too bothered. The only purpose of running this week is for your mind, not your legs. Get out for 2 or 3 miles tomorrow and you'll be fine, surely even with your hectic social life you could fit in 3 miles after work? I'd put the sleep WAY ahead of running this week.

4.54 miles 36:34

So managed to get out of bed this morning. Found it tough going I must say, first time this year that I could really feel the cold air in my lungs. Glad I did it though as it frees up the rest of the day - no RQ, the social life wouldn't have allowed me to get out tonight, have skipped the last two work events so apparently it's time to show my face at one...

Not sure about the pace/distance, think it overmeasured the distance and so says the pace was faster than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

No harm doing ana early morning run anyway, Get you used to the 9am start next on Monday.

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    No harm doing ana early morning run anyway, Get you used to the 9am start next on Monday.

Well 6am is a good bit earlier than 9am!! But I don't usually mind them as long as it's not all the time, was very nice seeing the sun rise over Canary Wharf this morning too, wished I had the camera with me!

xebec wrote: »
    no RQ, the social life wouldn't have allowed me to get out tonight, have skipped the last two work events so apparently it's time to show my face at one...

Was just trying to make a helpful suggestion like... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So come on, whats the story for Monday or are we not going to know until you're buying us drinks afterwards?

Was just trying to make a helpful suggestion like... :pac:

I know, but I've never listened to you before, no point in starting now :pac:
    chinguetti wrote: »
    So come on, whats the story for Monday or are we not going to know until you're buying us drinks afterwards?

Plan is to go out at 3:XX:XX pace...

Oh ok, I'll say it, plan is to go with the sub-3:45 guys. Been doubting myself majorly over the last few days and wondering if I'll ever get a decent marathon but I know it's just stupid mind games and I feel well prepared to give it a go. If it doesn't work out so what...

Well good hunting xebec and hope you make the aim, the self doubt is sent to try us all a few days before it.

May you perform as impressively as an Arsenal passing move up the field on Monday.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm sure that whatever time you're coming in at, I'll be behind you, so you're getting the first round of drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Best of luck on the 3.45, from what I've seen of you on the lsr's you'll be well able for it. I'll be with the 4 hr group along with lots of other reprobates by the looks of it so that should be motivation enough for you to keep the pace up!

Oh ok, I'll say it, plan is to go with the sub-3:45 guys. Been doubting myself majorly over the last few days and wondering if I'll ever get a decent marathon but I know it's just stupid mind games and I feel well prepared to give it a go. If it doesn't work out so what...

Was that because you just gave it away in Oisin11178's log? :pac: Don't feel special for being the only one that knows now. :(

Well good hunting xebec and hope you make the aim, the self doubt is sent to try us all a few days before it.

May you perform as impressively as an Arsenal passing move up the field on Monday.

They're awesome!! Don't think there's any justice in comparing my running to the magic that they have!
    Well, I'm sure that whatever time you're coming in at, I'll be behind you, so you're getting the first round of drinks

Hmm... Not so sure about that... You going out with a pace group?
    grimbergen wrote: »
    Best of luck on the 3.45, from what I've seen of you on the lsr's you'll be well able for it. I'll be with the 4 hr group along with lots of other reprobates by the looks of it so that should be motivation enough for you to keep the pace up!

I'll expect you guys to pick me up and drag me to a sub-4:00 if it all goes wrong ;)
    Was that because you just gave it away in Oisin11178's log? :pac: Don't feel special for being the only one that knows now. :(

Nah, gave it away here before I posted on his... You felt special for a short while, that's the important thing right?

3.29 miles 26:30

Brass monkey weather down by the river this morning, think the hat and gloves will have to come out soon. Had trouble getting out of bed so had to keep it short - but that was the plan anyway.

We'll discuss the awesomeness of Arsenal on Monday at some stage. However you mightn't like my full thesis on that subject but more anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Best of luck Xebec, no bother to you

RAL3 wrote: »
    Best of luck Xebec, no bother to you

Cheers, hope it all goes well for you too! One last run tomorrow at some point to loosen the legs and that'll be it for Monday - hoping not to do a chinguetti on it and lose a fight with a van!

Cheers, hope it all goes well for you too! One last run tomorrow at some point to loosen the legs and that'll be it for Monday - hoping not to do a chinguetti on it and lose a fight with a van!

And i always though my username meant 'spring of horses'. :P

Laughed when i read that though xebec. Did i mention that laughing is quite painful?

And i always though my username meant 'spring of horses'. :P

Laughed when i read that though xebec. Did i mention that laughing is quite painful?

Well a horse might have had a chance of winning that fight you picked today... Good job laughing isn't one of the prerequisites for Monday, otherwise you'd be ****ed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck Monday

2.24 miles 20:01

Last short trot before the morning - managed to avoid fighting with any vans! Can we have today's weather again tomorrow please? It was a gorgeous morning out there.

Bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes Xebec.

Can i just say that i left quite a dint on the van!

I'ld say that i might meet you on the road at some stage tomorrow. Still intend to go with the 3.30 group but no idea how long i will last at that pace. So if you see me, just follow in my wake as the road will be clear of vans at least. :D

Good hunting xebec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Have a good run tomorrow xebec, great win for the gunners today.

Dublin City Marathon 2010

26.44 miles 4:18:34

Have been mulling over writing this today, not sure how much I remember from the race to be honest but I'll put down whatever sticks out...

Arrived good and early, got changed and dropped my bag, and was up in the start pens shortly after 0830. Met the Wexican briefly and wished him luck before joining sarsfieldsrock for the last 15 minutes before the off.

First few miles were reasonably uneventful, slow to start and came to a complete stop at the bottom of Dawson St because of the crowds turning on to Nassau St. Only other point of note was that I was starving at around the three mile mark, this is usually a very bad sign meaning that I'm going to get light headed and lack energy but managed my nutrition pretty well I think. Into the Park and ran with RQ for a bit before setting out on my own again.

I had started about 30 seconds (roughly) behind the 3:45 pacers, I was in no rush to catch them but figured I'd be on them by the top of O'Connell St. Strangely, I never did catch them, the closest I got was about 20 yards behind them at 14 miles. All the same it was good to have a target ahead of me to and keeping them in sight helped to regulate the pace a bit.

No problems coming up the hill on St Laurences road, that hill nearly killed me last year! Through halfway in about 1:51, well on target still for 3:45 and feeling pretty good.

It was shortly after this that the dreaded knee problem started appearing again. I had no problems with the knee for the last six weeks so really hoped it was all behind me. The head started to go then, just wondering what the point was and if I was going to finish.

From there on it became quite a bit of run-walking, just trying to nurse the knee home. I couldn't run downhills at all but the uphills and flat I was able to run for reasonable amounts of time. Met my family at the 18 mile mark and told them that I was taking the Luas into town with them, they were having none of it. Stopped in the massage tent at the top of the hill in Milltown - the most painful massage I've ever had even though the guys was barely touching me!

The 4 hour balloons didn't pass me until the Clonskeagh Road - this is where the 4:30 balloons passed me last year so I knew it was an improvement! Introduced myself to christeb who promptly decided he was going to film me, didn't last too long with them and let them go on ahead.

On the run into town through Ballsbridge I met DigiJem and mrslow who were motoring along faster than me going to great times. Also saw JEmily but couldn't catch her to say hi. The crowds around the last mile were fantastic, seemed like a lot more than last year.

Was delighted to finish, the time is a 24 minute PB which obviously made the day a little better. I was pretty disappointed that the knee acted up again and it leaves me wondering if I should bother doing another one - but I'm sure I will!

Longer than expected, but it was a long race!!

YTD: 923.17 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Well done again, i don't think i noticed anyone until after the race i was so transfixed on getting home. Was lovely to see a friendly face at the end. Enjoy the post-marathon buzz.

Fair play for sticking with it after the injury flared up, finishing and getting the PB to boot. Great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So disappointed that your race didn't go to plan. Well done to keep going and doing a great time with an injury. :)

• Advertisement

Fair play for sticking with it after the injury flared up, finishing and getting the PB to boot. Great achievement.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    So disappointed that your race didn't go to plan. Well done to keep going and doing a great time with an injury. :)

Cheers guys! Still feeling positive about the whole marathon experience so it's all good :)

On a really nice note, I met a guy walking along Nassau St, got him to take out his earphones to enjoy the experience and dragged him running to the finish line. He found me on FB and sent a nice thank you message which was completely unnecessary but made my day :)

Advertisement