Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

3.79 miles 34:38

Just a short one this morning as I've other commitments today, out around Roebuck Road, Fosters Avenue and UCD...

3.11 miles 27:39

Haven't updated in 30 hours, so where's my log? Bottom of page 4! Great to see so many on here keeping track of their exercise.

Anyway, no hot water in my London flat for the last week so I've cut my losses and moved into a hotel for a few days. Starting to get annoying at this stage. Have had a chesty cough for the last few days so decided to hit the dreadmill instead of going outside... Time was slow enough but HR was flying by the end, think it was combination of heat in the hotel gym and tightness breathing. Haven't sweat so much in ages, felt great!

3.42 miles 31:13

4x800m intervals with ~2:00 recovery

1. 3:42 (161)
    2. 3:38 (169)
    3. 3:33 (173)
    4. 3:31 (178)

First interval session in as long as I can remember... Didn't get out of work until 8pm and was going to sack it off for the night but copped myself on and headed to the treadmill in the hotel. Short session and no real problems. Be interesting to see what I could do on the track. Back to the apartment with cold water tomorrow and Arsenal on at 8pm so unlikely I'll head out.

Well I'm still alive, not been a good week for running...

Saturday 22/01/11 BHAA Eircom XC

1.99 miles 16:53

Only the second race I've ever DNF'd in. In hindsight I shouldn't have run this, had been sick for most of the week and had only run more than 5 miles once in the last month. Had a coughing fit just before pulling up, felt rubbish and decided enough was enough.

Friday 28/01/11

5.00 miles 46:39

Enjoyed this run despite the legs not feeling excellent. Was commuting again with the backpack on but barely noticed it. About 90 seconds faster than the same run two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

4.8 miles 45:49

Didn't enjoy one minute of this run. Starting off had major pains in one of my calves, jarred that leg last night stopping myself falling. Then had the lovely feeling of my lunch wanting to make a reappearance for the rest of the run, it didn't make a showing until after I got home. Stark difference from last night with fastest mile being 9:24 and slowest 9:48... Wasn't my day and more training required.

YTD: 48.18 miles

5.09 miles 41:23 - incl 2 miles tempo (~7:45/mile)

Real life got in the way on Sunday, too tired yesterday after only 4 hours sleep and up @ 5am. Wasn't pushed about going for a run this evening but figured I should head out for an easy 3 miles. Felt good heading down to the river so decided to change the route, extend the run and add a bit of speed. No problems at all, lets see how I feel tomorrow!

3.17 miles 27:42

A few early morning miles today, spent ages faffing about before I left the house at 6.50am so only really had time for 3 miles, enjoyable enough. Bit stiff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Is your name down for the full or half in Conn in April?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Just catching up on your log... so many logs to check in on!
    Glad to see you're back in the swing of things again. :)

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    Is your name down for the full or half in Conn in April?

Neither. No marathons for first half of year at least, was too much hassle trying to train for Dublin with all the travel... Wasn't particularly tempted by the half.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Just catching up on your log... so many logs to check in on!
    Glad to see you're back in the swing of things again. :)

Thanks K. Not really back in the swing of things just yet but trying to get there... Baby steps!

4.34 miles 37:24

Real life and the weather conspired to no running for three days... No interest in going out tonight but got my act together and enjoyed it once I got going. No problems at all, pace was decent enough and HR was lower than it's been for a while.

Have had an ache in my knee since I woke up on Sat, comes and goes but was definitely there during the day today. Decided to give it a short run and see how it felt, held together fine during the run, a little sore afterwards but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hey Mister, long time no talk, how's the IT Band holding up?

7.81 miles 1:11:49

Longest run of the year so far :) Kept the pace very slow - all miles slower than 9:00. A bit disappointed that the HR was still 159 but hey ho, never really get it much lower in any run...

Bailed on last night as by the time I got home I was getting hunger pangs and was feeling a little dizzy - no point in trying for 7+ miles when feeling like that. Might get up early and run again in the morning but unlikely, otherwise will try for a lunchtime/evening run on Friday before the race on Saturday morning.

YTD: 68.59 miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How many miles are you looking to do on sunday morning?

menoscemo wrote: »
    How many miles are you looking to do on sunday morning?

Not much by your standards, still only getting back into it... Prob around 10-12, but that will include 2.5 from mine up to the papal cross - prob wasn't worth me suggesting it at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

xebec wrote: »
    Not much by your standards, still only getting back into it... Prob around 10-12, but that will include 2.5 from mine up to the papal cross - prob wasn't worth me suggesting it at all...

Won't be able to meet by the papal cross since the race goes around that point 3 times. That's why I suggested the zoo.

Text you on saturday evening anyway, any miles with company are better than miles alone. I'll probably be out for 10-12 as well.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Won't be able to meet by the papal cross since the race goes around that point 3 times. That's why I suggested the zoo.

Text you on saturday evening anyway, any miles with company are better than miles alone. I'll probably be out for 10-12 as well.

Hadn't made it onto that thread when you posted here, 10am at the zoo road sounds good, will confirm on Sat...

2.50 miles 22:09

Short one tonight just to turn the legs over before the XC race tomorrow... HR higher than I'd like but no point in worrying.

• Advertisement

BHAA North County Farmers Cross Country, Balheary Park, Swords

4.83 miles 40:44

Total: 7.02 miles ~1:03:30

Great day for a race in Balheary. Lovely flat course (apart from the hay bales) and conditions underfoot were much better than in previous years. Aim was to keep the pace reasonably hard but at an effort level which I knew I could sustain. Average HR was 178 so working pretty hard...

3.11 miles 26:03

Short session tonight. Much faster than planned but felt pretty good... Didn't get out on Sunday due to an excessive Valentine's night out on Saturday, must rectify that this weekend.

Operation Transformation 5k

3.12 miles 37:53

Just accompanying a friend on her first race. Nice little jog but barely broke a sweat. Average HR was 138 - this is around the pace I should be doing my recovery runs?! Not going to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's the next big goal xebec? just taking it handy for a while, or have you something big lined up?

What's the next big goal xebec? just taking it handy for a while, or have you something big lined up?

Taking it overly handy at the moment. Heading down to Ballycotton in two weeks, not going to blow any records out of the water but hoping to have fun. Apart from that nothing major planned, hopefully a few half marathons around May/June time.

Have no intention of doing a marathon in first half of the year, flying two days a week and running long distance aren't really compatible, especially while also trying to have time for others. May be back for Dublin and there's talk of doing a slow one in Waterford with a few others in November...

All set for South Africa?

Wednesday 23rd

5.01 miles 41:58

Nice run along the river in London. HR way too high...

Friday 25th

5.00 miles 44:41

Tough tough tough. Finally got into my stride over last two miles but didn't really enjoy any of it. Confidence is low.

10.10 miles 1:35:03

Brass monkeys over here tonight and seriously considered not going out, but tights and long sleeve top put on and it was out the door for a short 3 miles or so. Was feeling good at the turn home point so decided to keep going, and keep going, and keep going... After 5 miles I realised it was time to turn around and head home, that's when I realised why it was so easy, the icy cold wind was at my back and now it was in my face the whole way home. Knuckled down and the time passed quickly enough, longest run of the year so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

10.10 miles 1:35:03

Brass monkeys over here tonight and seriously considered not going out, but tights and long sleeve top put on and it was out the door for a short 3 miles or so. Was feeling good at the turn home point so decided to keep going, and keep going, and keep going... After 5 miles I realised it was time to turn around and head home, that's when I realised why it was so easy, the icy cold wind was at my back and now it was in my face the whole way home. Knuckled down and the time passed quickly enough, longest run of the year so far :D

The Kildare half and full is on 15th May. Should suit your build up and is not too tough a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

After 5 miles I realised it was time to turn around and head home, that's when I realised why it was so easy, the icy cold wind was at my back and now it was in my face the whole way home.

I've done that so many times and still haven't learnt from it. Striding out without a care in the world, then turn around to be hit in the face with a brick wall. I must pay more attention to trees bending over in the same direction I'm running in and realise why newspapers and bags are passing me by. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The Kildare half and full is on 15th May. Should suit your build up and is not too tough a course.

My build up for what? Have no real plans yet... Was thinking about Wexford half a week later, but Kildare might suit better depending on holiday plans and stuff. Should really make a decision though, having a goal will make it a lot easier to get out on the roads!!

Advertisement