Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Ballycotton 10 2011

10.04 1:24:11

Lack of preparation shows... Had a great time though!! Set myself a (semi) realistic goal of 85 minutes for this race, wasn't sure it was there but gave it a go anyway.

Perfect day for running in Ballycotton, no wind to speak of and nice and cool. Not so good for hanging around though, bloody freeing before the start. Met up with Emer and KC which passed the 90 minutes or so that we were hanging around.

First two miles were very slow, first dodging around slower runners and second because of a pit-stop and then dodging around many of the same runners :rolleyes: After that settled in at just under 8:15 a mile and felt reasonably comfortable up to 5 miles. 6th mile I found tough for some reason but still managed to hold on at 8:14. Mile 7 was much more comfortable, at 8:05. Mile 8 was a little slow because of a water stop, despite running for a few years I still haven't mastered the art of drinking out of a cup on the move. Mile 9 was a case of slowing the pace and digging in, the steepest part of the hill, got through it in 8:52 without feeling too much effect. Final mile was the fastest of the race despite it being on a slight up slope the whole way, was really maxing out for 8:02 with HR maxing out at 192!

Finishing time 1:24:11 and very happy, first time I've enjoyed a run or race in a long time. Now time to lose a lot of weight and get back into some consistent training (my weekly average so far this year is about 13 miles). Target is going to be either Kildare or Wexford half marathons during May.

2nd March

3.2 miles 28:02
    - somehow missed logging this run...

7th March

3.6 miles 32:57

Very easy recovery run, think the Garmin messed up a bit and measured this long, pace was more like 10:00/mile...

YTD: 121.29 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

xebec wrote: »
    My build up for what? Have no real plans yet... Was thinking about Wexford half a week later, but Kildare might suit better depending on holiday plans and stuff. Should really make a decision though, having a goal will make it a lot easier to get out on the roads!!

Was thinking Wexford myself but then saw it's the weekend of the Heineken Cup Final, will make do with Enniscorthy in June instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done on Ballycotton xebec. I agree with the cups of water, I find they impossible to drink from.

I had looked at the Wexford half too, but since found out that there's plans for a debut one in Co. Waterford on 15th May, so I'll do that instead, and then make the Stawberry Half the end of June a target for PB.

Hope you continue to enjoy the running again :)

I'm laid up with an infection in my foot :( Never playing 5-a-side again, always get hurt or end up damaging myself in some way...

On the plus side, work's international health insurance meant that I didn't have to pay the £65 doctor's fee in London today and got the meds free too :D

• Advertisement

4.07 miles 34:43

Been a while. Between the infection and work no running done for the last two weeks. Lack of exercise really affecting my mood. Work seems like it's only going to get worse, so will be back to the 6am runs soon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Been a while. Between the infection and work no running done for the last two weeks. Lack of exercise really affecting my mood. Work seems like it's only going to get worse, so will be back to the 6am runs soon I think.

good stuff, so important to get exercise and fresh air, particularly if you are under pressure. I feel like I'm going mad if I'm not getting fresh air in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Glad that you're back running again. Didn't see you with your camera on Sunday at the 5k, was more than likely busy concentrating on keeping my exploding lungs in check. :rolleyes::)

3.27 miles 28:58

Easy one tonight, another attempt at getting back into it I guess...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

another attempt at getting back into it I guess...

You'd better start trying feckin' harder, I'm not carrying you around Limerick :pac:

• Advertisement

You'd better start trying feckin' harder, I'm not carrying you around Limerick :pac:

Still about 5 weeks to go, but going to have to make a call on it this weekend... I've gotten fat and unfit so you might have to carry me around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi xebec, you can join myself and xavis back slapping group motivational group, we're in the same boat, a bit of weight put on and just getting back in to it, but we going to do great things
    one for all and all for one :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi xebec, you can join myself and xavis back slapping group motivational group, we're in the same boat, a bit of weight put on and just getting back in to it, but we going to do great things

Sounds good to me, any bit of extra motivation we can give each other will be a help!

7x400m with 400m recovery @ ~7.20 pace

4.04 miles 38:18

First early morning run in a long time, have work function tonight so was the only chance I have today. Wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting! Pace for all was around 7:20, although Garmin messed up a few times calculating the distance - tall buildings are no good for intervals... Even knocked out the last interval in 6:42 pace :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle wrote: »

Funny you should mention that. He is one of the ones on my Cork marathon rectruits hitlist. But he rejected me for last years. :(

Just catching up on a few runs over the weekend...

Friday 1st April

3.25 miles 29:22

Sunday 3rd April

12.50 miles 1:59:18

Nice run on Sunday with the group... Probably shouldn't have gone as I was starting to feel sick on Sat night, but still enjoyed the run. Only problem now is that I'm laid up on my sickbed in London, oh well, hopefully back to work and training tomorrow...

3.72 miles 30:48

Easy enough one tonight, Garmin playing tricks so don't think the distance was quite that far. Gorgeous evening down by the river tonight, very hot though - around 20 degrees this afternoon apparently...

6.25 miles 51:29 incl 40mins tempo (~5 miles)

Tough tough tough. Another warm day here by the Thames... Flying tomorrow night then unsure what to do over weekend. One option is to run long on Sat and give the race a go on Sun, other is to take it easy on Sat and then try to build a long run around the GIR (maybe 4 up to the race, the race, then another 4 after), decisions...

Been a while since I've been running, even longer since I've posted on here... Was very sick for a couple of weeks, a week on holiday and a few weeks of no motivation have led to a piss poor running record and putting on some (more) weight... Back to it I guess, have signed up to the marathon series for a little motivation.

3.43 miles 31:42

4 miles on Sat and another 8.5 or so already this week, hoping for some consistency, starting to have fun again but the fitness is slow coming back...

5.26 miles 49:21 tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

welcome back, best of luck with the dublin training.

Hit 4 runs total last week included 8.5 miles LSR (target 8) so in line with the HH Novice 2 plan. Two runs so far this week with plans for two more over the weekend.

3.53 miles 29:00 JP Morgan Chase Challenge, Battersea Park, London 06/07/11

Was good to get back racing this week. Just went out to see how I'd get on, no pressure but with a sub-30 in the back of my mind, so very pleased with the result. HR was through the roof so couldn't have given it any more (182 avg, 193 max). Course was pretty, but very warm evening and overcrowding meant a bit of time off the potential. Great t-shirts to be had too, one from work and the race one was asics which should be similar to the one for the race series this summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

will we see you at the 5 mile?

RayCun wrote: »
    will we see you at the 5 mile?

You will indeed. The London race was a good judge of where I'm at, so think 42 mins will be the target for the 5 mile - bit different from the sub-37 last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Good to see you getting out there again, keep it going and you will be back below that 40 mark very soon, seems to remember you running well early in hte year of little training to.

9.22 miles 1:28:23

Finally got out for my long run this evening, real life as usual getting in the way... To be honest I'm finding the long runs quite hard even at this distance but will keep plugging away and hope it gets easier as fitness comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

9.22 miles 1:28:23

Finally got out for my long run this evening, real life as usual getting in the way... To be honest I'm finding the long runs quite hard even at this distance but will keep plugging away and hope it gets easier as fitness comes back.

That's a good time/distance on Saturday. It's good that you've signed up for the marathon series, it will give you motivation for sure.

jcsmum wrote: »
    That's a good time/distance on Saturday. It's good that you've signed up for the marathon series, it will give you motivation for sure.

Cheers K, actually looking forward to the race now that I know where I'm at and what to expect... Things can only go up from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just catching up on your log xebec, glad to see you back at it. Hope the injury stays away this time...mine too!

• Advertisement

3.5 miles 30:50

Actually found this reasonably easy this evening. Time was right but distance was wrong, watch was messing up and stopping for a euromillions ticket didn't help when the watch went into powersave mode! Tried a bit of variation in the route this evening which meant lots of covered spaces and going under bridges. Tomorrow and Thursday's runs are going to be a struggle to get in, work function and flying means early mornings if I can manage it...

Advertisement