Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great Ireland Run 2009

6.2 miles (10km) 54:44

A great day out today. Decided that, considering the poor training recently and the half-marathon in Wexford in two weeks, the best way to take this race was to try to go at planned marathon pace and see how I was doing for Wexford. The time was pretty much what I was aiming for and I was very comfortable for most of it. So, despite being just over 4 minutes slower than last year, I am very happy with how today went :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff xebec
    you must be delighted especially as you said yourself your recent training has been a bit haphazard.
    but this run puts you firmly back on course for a very good crack at the half marathon.
    well done

SUNGOD wrote: »
    great stuff xebec
    you must be delighted especially as you said yourself your recent training has been a bit haphazard.
    but this run puts you firmly back on course for a very good crack at the half marathon.
    well done

Cheers SUNGOD. It definitely gave me a much needed confidence boost. Main priority for the half is still to finish, but hopefully I'll come close to beating 2 hours...

7.91 miles (12.73 km) 1:13:06 - really enjoyed this run this evening. Had only planned on doing about 5 miles, when I left home decided to up it to 6 and then when I reached the turn for home point I still felt pretty good so just kept going...

3.27 miles (5.27km) 28:14 - didn't enjoy this at all, legs were very tired for some reason... Had to cut it short due to time constraints, but there was a few times I was going to cut it even shorter...

• Advertisement

3.95 miles (6.35km) 33:31

It's been a tough weekend. Picked up a chest infection at the end of last week and have been finding it hard to breath ever since. Think that was part of the reason why I didn't enjoy the short run last Wed... Today was the first time I've felt close to being able to get out, it went ok, there was lots of energy in my legs but my chest wasn't even remotely happy... Oh well, still going to give the half a go this weekend, but it's definitely going to be a nice slow run and make sure I finish.

Need to pick a summer goal and see if I can get things to go any better for me. Not feeling particularly well motivated at the moment.

Wexford Half Marathon

2:04:54 13.1 miles (21.1km)

Well after what has been pretty horrific training over the last few weeks I was nervous about today. There was no need to be as I thoroughly enjoyed it!! (Well apart from a few of the steepest bits...)

Was a fantastic morning for a race. The sun was bright and not too hot, with a gentle breeze for most of the course to keep us cool. The race was fantastically organised, I've no complaints at all about it. The start was on time, the course was excellently marshalled and there were plenty of water stations.

As regards my time, had an idea that sub-2 would have been amazing, but knew from about 13k that the time was out the window. I'm delighted just to have finished, and the time is very respectable :)

The course was relatively easy going, just two serious steep parts between 7k-8k and 9k-10k which slowed me down significantly... From 8k-9k was lovely, with a nice long downhill section and from 11k on it was almost completely either flat or downhill which made the going from there on pretty easy.

Looking forward to running this again next year, hopefully there'll be a bigger crowd. All in all, a fantastic event for the first time being run...

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention I met krusty clown with about 5k to go, he was hobbling along when I noticed his boards singlet (which looks great!) and said hi, hope you're not too disappointed krusty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff xebec well done

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats on finishing your first half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

xebec wrote: »
    Edit: Oops, forgot to mention I met krusty clown with about 5k to go, he was hobbling along when I noticed his boards singlet (which looks great!) and said hi, hope you're not too disappointed krusty!!
    Hi xebec, congrats on your great run. It was great meeting you if only briefly! No, I wasn't really disappointed, as I made the conscious decision to stop running before I really gave myself a serious injury. Wexford was never a big race in my calendar and Edinburgh is far more important, and I still managed to enjoy the day. Time to find another half, so you can go sub 2 hours!

• Advertisement

Decided to take the week off, will get going again tomorrow... Not totally sure what next race will be, but probably the Docklands Run in May.

Here's what I looked like 11 miles into last weeks race:

DPP_Wexford%20Half%20Mar%236350FA.jpg

6.1 miles (9.82km) 50:20 - back into things today, not too long but fast enough... Felt horrible for the first 4km, but really picked up the pace towards the end.

Cooper Test

2.49km 12:00 (1.55 miles)

Very short session tonight, did the Cooper Test to set a baseline for Le Cheile's progress thread. Really enjoyed running a bit quicker and the legs definitely had more in them, my chest held me back a bit though...

Did about 30 mins of stretching afterwards, first time in ages that I've given proper time for stretching and it feels great!

Tomorrow is tag rugby, so no running...

After what was a very lazy weekend, back to some exercise...

Tuesday 5/5

3.95 miles (6.35km) 34:28

Was very windy and didn't particularly enjoy this run... Glad I made it around though.

Next race I think will be the Docklands run in two weeks...

No training tonight due to work meeting and event.

3.95 miles (6.35km) 33:36

Was windier tonight than the last time I did this, and this was the slower direction of the loop, so very pleasantly surprised to knock almost a minute off the time without trying too hard...

6 x 800m intervals (with 400m walk/jog in between)

Total Distance 4.97 miles (8km) ~47:30

Felt like giving a speed session a go tonight, think I'll try to do this a bit more often as it mixes things up nicely. Was reading about Yasso 800s on Amadeus' DCM coaching thread and it got me interested so gave them a go... Each interval was exactly 3:55, was ok at first but got much harder as it went on... Heartrate was flying by the last interval!

Seated Leg Press
    10 plates x10 x10

Seated Row
    8 plates x10 x10 x10

Standing Shoulder Press
    2x7kg x10 x10 x10

Bicep Curl
    2x7kg x10 x10 x10

Added some weights for a change, time to start building up the weight training again...

Wed 13/05

6.2 miles (10km) 55:00

Weather was absolutely horrible yesterday, cold easterly wind and rain... Probably reflects the slowish time...

Was considering doing a race at the Trinity Track event today, but there's no point considering how wet it is and that I would be running in trainers... Going to take a rest day instead, feeling sore after last three days and have a slight niggle in one of my muscles. Possibly a gym session tomorrow...

6.21 miles (10km) 53:16

It's been a week... Mainly due to illness, disappointed to have to skip the Docklands Run as I really enjoyed it last year.

Anyway, not sure if I enjoyed tonight... Had a bit of a niggle at the top of one of my groins and felt very flat-footed. But it's good to get out again and I'm sure I'll get a good night's sleep tonight...

Total since Jan: 152.72 miles (245.78km)
    Went back through my log to see how far I've gone, not as much as I'd like of course, but still it's a big enough number :)

6.21 miles (10km) 53:06

Very windy, tried to take it easy but still somehow managed a reasonable time... (For me at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Good to see you back Xebec...hope you're feeling better :)

• Advertisement

McConkey wrote: »
    Good to see you back Xebec...hope you're feeling better :)

Cheers McConkey, feeling much better thanks! Having a pretty tough time at work at the moment so finding it tough to get out there... Hopefully I can get a bit more committed to it which might help me forget about some of the work crap too...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Yeah I've been finding it a bit tougher lately too....I haven't been sticking to my schedule and so have missed days :(

I was off until 6 today but convinced myself to wait till after work at 9 in order to avoid the wind....of course I was late finishing work and didn't go :(

7.24 miles (11.65km) 63:21

Gorgeous evening for a run! Wind finally died and the temperature was perfect, absolutely beautiful in Phoenix Park...

4.61 miles (7.42km) 38:42

Horrible run today... Started well, the legs haven't felt so good in ages, but my lungs didn't want to go as fast as my legs did. Turns out bratwurst doesn't take as good coming back up as it does going down, esp after 3km... Decided to cut the whole thing short after that, was finally getting into it by the end but decided to cut my losses.

Was particularly worried about being dehydrated today as I spent the afternoon in town wandering around at the Mini Marathon and the festival in Docklands... Had been drinking plenty and didn't think it'd be an issue, but 2 minutes away from home and the headache started. Stopped for a sports drink on the way home and it seemed to do the trick...

Oh well, bring on tomorrow and hopefully a better day...

6.21 miles (10km) 53:30

Felt a bit better than yesterday, still not great even though it was another gorgeous evening for a run...

Tomorrow is supposed to be a gym session, but probably won't happen because of the Lions game :) Gotta keep my priorities straight!!

6.21 miles (10km) 55:22

Good bit slower than I've done this lap recently, but that was on purpose. Feel much better tonight than I've felt in a while, really been run down for a while. Glad to get out for a run in the sunshine :)

Thurs 11/06

6.84 miles (11km) 59:07

Great evening for a run, had to cut it shorter than I had planned due to other commitments, but really enjoyed it anyway.

10.13 miles (16.3km) 1:31:18 (think the watch was stopped for a few mins)

Decided to get my long run in today so that I can have a few drinks tonight... Out on a more hilly course than I'm used to around Wexford this morning, nice day for it apart from it being a bit breezey...

Took a rest day yesterday because I was travelling... Should be a shortish recovery run tomorrow if I can get my arse in gear :)

Edit: Total for year: 200.17 miles (322.14km) woot, broke a new barrier!

8.37 miles (13.48km) 1:10:51

Had to really push myself out the door this evening... Didn't sleep well and was wrecked after another crappy day at work, but am thrilled that I got out there!

Had only planned on doing about 6 miles, but it was such a nice evening and I felt so good that I just kept making it longer :) Pleasantly surprised at the time, felt very comfortable... And the extra mileage tonight means I can take it a little easier tomorrow, especially cos the forecast is for a hot day.

• Advertisement

5.57 miles (8.96km) 46:01

Had to really push myself out of the door tonight, really wasn't in the mood. Only convinced myself by making a plan to only do a short route of about 3 miles... Got out and wasn't feeling great, chest was tight and hated the wind in my face - but for some reason I decided to extend the run and I feel better now it's over...

Yesterday was supposed to be short and reasonably fast, but I decided not to go because of a late evening meeting and feeling like crap after it. I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow, first day of Arnott's sale so might pick up a new pair of runners and a few other bits on the way home.

Advertisement