Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

11.24 miles (18.08km) 1:43:23

I had a brainwave today: I finish work early on Fridays, why not do my long run today?! Even though it took some convincing to get myself out when I got home, I'm so glad I did. Really enjoyed the run this evening, despite the wind... Felt great, took it at a pace that I was comfortable at (which was faster than I had planned) and didn't have to stop once. Was surprised how quiet the park was today considering how nice an evening it was - only saw 3 other runners over the first 4 miles!

Running my long run today means that my weekend is completely freed up... Means that I can see a few friends tomorrow night and not have to worry about a long run on Sunday morning so I can enjoy a few drinks :)

On another note, picked up a new pair of Kayano's in the sales today for €99, more than 1/3 off :D Will have to wear them in over the next few weeks...

*Waves hands*

I'm still around, had a bit of a rough weekend so didn't make it out for a run... Finally starting to feel better today and planning on doing a few miles only to realise the Lions game is on this evening - oh well... So I guess plan for the rest of the week will be about 6 miles tomorrow evening, then maybe 4 miles on Friday and then rest before the half on Sunday... But the best laid plans don't often work out for me...

I'm in a foul mood... Was off work sick yesterday so no run, chest is still bloody tight today so it's reaching the point where I have to consider giving the half marathon a miss. Really annoyed as I was so looking forward to doing it and actually felt like my preparation was half decent this time.

Oh well, health comes first I guess, will prob leave the decision till Sat... At least I've a week off next week to look forward to :)

Saturday 27th

roughly 2.5 miles - ~21 minutes

This was a test run to see if I was anywhere near well enough to run the half today - it didn't feel comfortable at all so I made the (correct) decision to pull out of the race... Will try to get back on schedule this week, chest is still sore and tight but getting better.

4.77 miles (7.67km) 41:49

Time to get back on track and begin some marathon training... Tough run this morning, found the heat tough as well as still having a tight chest and coughing up crap all the time. Bit further than my schedule has lined up for today, but the mileage is a bit low for me at the moment anyway... This week is going to be a bit hit and miss as I'm on holidays, but I'm going to try to fit in some running whenever I can.

• Advertisement

Monday 06/07

5.53 miles (8.91km) 45:10

Found it tough in the wind and rain! Think I've lost some of my fitness with the breaks that I've had, but just gotta keep plodding along...

7.34 miles (11.82km) 61:34

OK run tonight, didn't enjoy the wind again but not too much I can do about that... Picked up the pace a bit in the middle for about 2 miles, but found it very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

xebec wrote: »
    4.77 miles (7.67km) 41:49

Time to get back on track and begin some marathon training... Tough run this morning, found the heat tough as well as still having a tight chest and coughing up crap all the time. Bit further than my schedule has lined up for today, but the mileage is a bit low for me at the moment anyway... This week is going to be a bit hit and miss as I'm on holidays, but I'm going to try to fit in some running whenever I can.

Hey xebec, when you say marathon training, are you talking about dcm in October. Doing it myself for first time this year. Best of luck with the training.

Hey xebec, when you say marathon training, are you talking about dcm in October. Doing it myself for first time this year. Best of luck with the training.

Hey OI, yeah, DCM is an unsure goal at the moment. Just working my way through a plan and seeing how I get on... Wexford was my first half marathon, but have no problem with that kind of distance now so was hoping to keep pushing onwards to 26 miles :)

3.8 miles (6.1km) 30:37

• Advertisement

Cancelled my long run last night as I was absolutely wrecked - hadn't slept right for nights, switched offices during the day and was late finishing work - was the right decision in the end as I feel much better today... Off surfing for the weekend and leaving the runners at home, time for some drunken debauchery :D

Back training on Monday or Tuesday with nothing too heavy next week before the race on Saturday.

3.54 miles (5.7km) 29:28

Just a short one latish this evening, chest really tight after a weekend of over-doing it... That'll clear up by the weekend though so shouldn't be any problems :)

6.21 miles (10km) 53:12

Felt much better this evening than on Monday, was a gorgeous evening for a run.

3.8 miles (6.1km) 35:08

Went for a short easy run this evening just to loosen up as I missed my run last night. Just went by feeling and tried to take it as easy as possible, felt extremely comfortable the whole way and in the end it turned out to be just 3 seconds outside my PMP which deffo surprised me! Looking forward to the morning now, hopefully I'll do ok!

Irish Runner 5 Mile Challenge

5 miles (8.05km) 39:17

Really nice day for a run, two miles in I was on course for sub-38 but lost it a little on the way home. Thought that this was a PB for me, but just checked my result from last year and I'm 17secs slower, oh well, I'm still delighted to have broken 40 minutes!

Great running xebec, nice to get in in under 40 mins.

Definitely be on for a long run next time you are about, send me a pm.

9.76 miles (15.71km) 1:28:53

After much debating whether or not to go out today I'm glad I did. A little bit of cramping but that was mainly due to dehydration from beer last night, got caught in one heavy shower but sheltered from the worst of it. Bring on next week...

21/07/09

3.5 miles (5.64km) 29:**

Didn't enjoy this at all, don't know the exact time as other watch is at home... Just gotta keep plodding...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You have to have a few bad days, just to make the good days feel good.
    When's the next race, is it the Adidas 10 mile?

You have to have a few bad days, just to make the good days feel good.
    When's the next race, is it the Adidas 10 mile?

That's very true, the good days always feel so much better when you've stuck out the bad ones...

That's the plan at the moment, although I might throw in something shorter for a bit of fun in between.

• Advertisement

6.21 miles (10km) 54:09

Felt much better today, even with the downpour about 5 minutes into the run :) Had to force myself out, but glad I did.

Total for year: 287.31 miles (462.38km)

3.95 miles (6.36km) 32:22

Nice run this evening... Was thinking about switching the 6 miler tomorrow with today's workout, but realised the London GP was on so stuck with the shorter run. It's the weekend :)

6.21 miles (10km) 53:30

12.12 miles (19.5km) 1:54:04

Postponed my long run till today because I was way too tired yesterday... (and maybe a little hungover) Long runs midweek aren't ideal cos it meant it was well after 9 before I got dinner, but oh well. The run went fine till about 10 miles, but the last 2 were slow and painful! Haven't been this sore after a run in a long time, but glad to have gotten through it! Tomorrow is deffo a day off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Seeing lots of people postponing long runs until-thought I was the only one that was too hungover to run on Sunday :o

Well done on the long run, its going well for you anyway!

xebec wrote: »
    12.12 miles (19.5km) 1:54:04

Postponed my long run till today because I was way too tired yesterday... (and maybe a little hungover) Long runs midweek aren't ideal cos it meant it was well after 9 before I got dinner, but oh well. The run went fine till about 10 miles, but the last 2 were slow and painful! Haven't been this sore after a run in a long time, but glad to have gotten through it! Tomorrow is deffo a day off!!!

I did 12 last Thursday and same thing, first 10 - flying, then the legs became very heavy and sore and I fairly struggled on the last mile. I felt like I recovered quite quickly though after the run.

5.57 miles (8.96km) 46:59

After a week of movies, flat-hunting, friends visiting from London, trips to Croke Park and no running I finally got back out on the pavements this evening. This was one of the most enjoyable and comfortable runs I've had in ages despite it being windy... A few slight pains at the start but they worked themselves out pretty quickly. Hopefully a full week of training ahead...

7.35 miles (11.83km) 1:02:41

Nice day in the Park, a little warm but plenty of breeze to keep cool. Didn't run up Military Road today, so luckily missed the dead body...

5.52 miles (8.89km) 45:50

Run around Wexford this evening. Wasn't feeling the best all day which I mainly attribute to changing the dosage of my meds, gotta live with that for the next while though unfortunately. Felt good when I got out for the run though, was worried about going too fast in the first half, but by the second half I was happy to keep up the pace and do a decent pace workout - for me at least :)

• Advertisement

13.77 miles (22.16km) 2:10:12

Longest run ever!! Had a bit of a crazy weekend which meant that the long run got pushed out to Monday again - despite me swearing two weeks ago that I'd try to avoid long runs on weekdays... Was tough to get myself out there, but I think I enjoyed it and there was definitely satisfaction at completing the distance. Going to be a quiet week running-wise as have a dinner on Thursday and am planning to take it easy before the 10 mile race on Saturday.

Advertisement