Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

14/08

2.51 miles (4.05km) 21:20

Just an easy shake down before the run in the morning, needed to loosen the legs out a bit. Was very warm and heavy out there...

10 miles (16.1km) 1:25:11

Tough day at the office... Wasn't feeling the best after not sleeping well last night due to personal reasons and a scary event which involved the Gardai on my way home. Oh well, stuck with it. Did about 41 for first 5 miles but by that time I was psychologically out of it. Pity I didn't beat 85 minutes, but happy enough and it's a new PB cos I haven't raced this distance before :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gotta love those guaranteed PBs! You'll definitely go sub-85 next time, hopefully sub-80 :)

5.58 miles (8.98km) 47:29

Back to a full week of training this week hopefully after a relatively poor week last week... Enjoyed tonights run despite my legs feeling absolutely horrible when I started out. The lack of freshness was very obvious the whole way through with my feet being much heavier and making much more noise than usual, but got through it very well. Plenty of distance tonight, especially considering I was trying to squeeze the run in between events I wanted to watch the the World Championships and the Arsenal match...

Just read HM's report on the Connemara 100, she's a real inspiration as to what someone can do with the right mindset and a bit of motivation! Also thoroughly enjoying some of the performances at the Worlds, in particular Olive Loughnane and Jess Ennis. They're all great reminders of why I enjoy running and athletics!

6.21 miles 10km 56:45

Horrible run this evening. Was originally planning about 7.5 miles, but cut it back. At 2.5 miles in after reaching the top of Kyber Road I felt like turning around and walking home, felt cold and shaky, but struggled on and decided that seeing as the worst was over I'd keep going another bit. Felt a good bit better by the end of the run, but body is feeling like a croc at the moment. It's fairly frustrating as I'm not physically tired, but there's a few things that are holding me back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hope you are alright mate, nothing too serious I hope.

Hope you are alright mate, nothing too serious I hope.

Ah, nothing too bad, just a few bits and pieces that don't feel right at the moment, nothing running related though... Prob the worst is an infected cut I have on one of my knees which is only starting to heal now two weeks after it happened. That didn't bother me at all until the 10 miler, but after the race I completely reopened it to get it properly clean and it's been sore since :rolleyes: Oh well, at least it's healing now and the infection is finally clearing up.

You still planning on doing the Kilmore 10k? I'm thinking of coming down home for it, would be a nice change to do another race in Wexford :)

Yeah, definitiely gonna run kilmore, it's only a stones throw away so no excuse and it fits in well with my programme. Might see ya there then.

7.36 miles (11.85km) 61:39

Bit of a faster workout this afternoon, felt good most of the way around. Actually looking forward to long run tomorrow...

5.58 miles (8.98km) 50:00

After a couple of weeks that have felt like life has thrown everything bad it can at me I finally got back out for a run... TBH it would have helped me get through the last while if I had kept running but I just couldn't get the motivation up, hopefully now that I've been out once that'll sort itself out and I can get some good training in.

Happy enough with tonight's run, purposefully took it easy but felt pretty comfortable at the same time.

• Advertisement

7.95 miles (12.8km) 68:45

Tough but very enjoyable run this evening. Legs were very tired but that's to be expected after a while off. Made it through and still had enough energy to put on a bit of pace over the last .5 mile.

Tomorrow's plan is for a relatively short (around 2 - 3 miles) and very slow run with a friend who doesn't run very often. Don't expect it to be any fast than about 11 minute miles so it'll be the same as a day off for me...

09/09/09

~2.5 miles (~4km) 26:30

Very slow and enjoyable run with a friend yesterday evening, barely broke a sweat while she was working hard! :)

8.34 miles (13.42km) 68:59

Tough enough run in the afternoon sun around hilly Wexford...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice day for xebec. Keep it going. Whereabouts in Wexford are you?

Nice day for xebec. Keep it going. Whereabouts in Wexford are you?

Cheers SJ. Was nice alright, good to get the motivation back and start enjoying it again. Folks live in Wexford town, not really that hilly but just seems so much more than Phoenix Park where I normally train... Anyways, plan is for a LSR in the morning, let's see how that goes...

15.94 miles (25.65km) 2:29:27

Longest run ever :) Gorgeous evening for a LSR, sun shining and nice sea breeze... Felt very comfortable throughout.

xebec wrote: »
    Cheers SJ. Was nice alright, good to get the motivation back and start enjoying it again. Folks live in Wexford town, not really that hilly but just seems so much more than Phoenix Park where I normally train... Anyways, plan is for a LSR in the morning, let's see how that goes...

tis hilly enough I reckon, partiularly whiterock hill and sinnotts town lane, and have you ever run from rosslare roundabout to whitford, it's about two miles of drag, awful but great at the same time.

tis hilly enough I reckon, partiularly whiterock hill and sinnotts town lane, and have you ever run from rosslare roundabout to whitford, it's about two miles of drag, awful but great at the same time.

I avoid Whiterock Hill like the plague! Also try to avoid the ring road a bit cos I don't find it the safest spot to run, but might give that drag a go sometime soon...

Pity that my weekend in Wex coincided with your weekend in college, otherwise I woulda given you a shout for a run... Maybe next time :)

8.15 miles (13.11km) 1:16:55

It's been a crazy week, mainly with work but also my 25th bday thrown in the middle of it so training fell apart.

Today's plan was for 18 miles LSR, obviously from the above it didn't go to plan... Got cold and started shivering between 7 and 8 miles so decided to call it a day. Only starting to warm up now and the last thing I want is to get sick so think I made the right decision. Not going to worry about it too much, it's going to be a crazy week in work again this week but will try to do as much as I can...

6.21 miles (10km) 49:01

Well that was unexpected... That's the fastest I've run 10k, ever. After a crappy run on Sunday was just going out to put in the miles tonight. Felt really good, pace was fast and just kept going. Really happy :)

It's going to be a bad week for training, work is mental and I've already been warned that it could be late finishing up over the next two days - Thursday could run into early Friday morning... Looking forward to the half marathon though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff xebec. Had you run sub 50 before? Good luck with the half mara on Sun!

littlebug wrote: »
    Good stuff xebec. Had you run sub 50 before? Good luck with the half mara on Sun!

Cheers, my 10k PB is 50:38, back near when I started running... Obviously this isn't a PB, but still a nice confidence boost :D

13.1 miles (21.1km) 1:54:49

Absolutely delighted with yesterdays run! Knocked over 10 minutes off my previous HM time :)

It was made all the better by the fact that the week's preparation was less than perfect... Worked 32 hours on Wed & Thurs, then had a work night out on Friday - where I managed to stay sober until about 10pm but it went downhill from there.

As for the race itself, it felt great. First mile was just under 9 minutes which was pretty much on target and every mile after that was virtually identical time. Never felt under too uncomfortable - apart from a while going up Khyber Road - and by the time we reached the top of Upper Glen I knew that sub-2 was well within reach for the first time. At 12 miles I realised that 1:55 was actually within my grasp as long as I kept the same pace, nearly lost it over that mile but upped the pace over the last quarter mile and got through with 11 seconds to spare.

No running today, still shattered after the week, watched the Grand Prix with the intention of heading out for 8 miles this afternoon/evening, but then fell asleep on the couch. Felt so groggy after that that I decided that it wouldn't be worth the effort and that a good night's sleep and back out tomorrow would be a much more sensible idea. Onwards and upwards :)

Congrats on the great run xebec.

10.39 miles (16.71km) 1:34:48

Glad I got out for a run tonight, thought work was going to get in the way again but the planned dinner got postponed. This was tough because of the wind and rain making it chilly out, but actually really enjoyed it and had no problem making it around. Had forgotten how much I like running in the dark, need to get the nighttime gear out of the wardrobe soon...

5.4 miles (8.69km) 43:39

After much procrastinating I finally got off my arse and went out today. Original plan was to do closer to 10 miles, but the only way I could convince myself to do anything was by shortening it a bit. Glad I did, didn't enjoy this at all, have had a bit of a cold all week and my chest was very tight. Wasn't helped by the wind, but at least there was some sunshine out there this evening.

A bit apprehensive about tomorrow's 20 miler, but I'll just get out and do it and see how it goes...

18.63 miles (29.97km) 2:57:09

Up very early this morning to watch the Grand Prix in Suzuka... Out on the roads shortly after 8am. Didn't enjoy one minute of this. Was supposed to be 20 miles but was going so badly I cut it short, but it still counts as a long run and the last one before DCM so at least that element of training is over. Bit nervous about the marathon now, but I'm sure I'll be fine on the day. Really wasn't my day/week today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done on battling through. All systems go for the marathon now...maybe you can join up with the novice group for drinks afterwards?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done on battling through. All systems go for the marathon now...maybe you can join up with the novice group for drinks afterwards?

Yep, deffo planning on showing up in the Conrad for one or two... I actually recognise OI from around Wexford - although I haven't told him that yet - but it'd be great to meet some more boardsies :)

Think I've another thing on the same day for the charity I'm fundraising for, but boards is definitely the priority! Oh and on that, if anyone wants to throw a few quid my way for some very worthwhile educational charities just give me a shout...

• Advertisement

5.58 miles (8.98km) 48:54

Nice evening for a run, not pushing it too hard. Bit chilly, first time putting on my jacket since April but gotta get used to it with the winter ahead :)

Advertisement