Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

8.47 miles (13.64km) 1:12:42

Really great evening for a run. Picked up the pace over the last 3.5 miles and felt great. Overall pace was well ahead of PMP which is nice :) Won't be too many runs as fast as this between now and DCM...

It's been a few days so figured I'd post an update...

Hasn't been an ideal week by a long shot, Thursday was a planned day off. Friday I was shattered after work and meeting friends later that evening so had a nap instead of running. Saturday real life got in the way. Sunday was all set to go for 12 miles, went to watch the Novice XC and on my way home realised there was no way I'd be able for it... I've got a wisdom tooth coming through at the moment and it's been majorly affecting my sleep and mood. Think there might be a small infection in it too as it's started to swell a little. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it is.

On the plus side, I've found out that non-alcoholic Erdinger is actually drinkable :) The Becks non-alcoholic is rotten stuff, but at least it stops the weird looks and questioning when in the pub and not drinking... Looks like no alcohol for me for a while due to doctors orders, it's handy that it fits in with the marathon too. And no hangover at all this weekend despite drinking plenty of beer :D

Anyways, will get out today (originally typed something less committal, but going to do it), will decide on distance while I'm out, but prob somewhere around 10 miles.

11.93 miles (19.2km) 1:50:34

Yesterday's long run today, felt comfortable the whole way through - apart from nearly running into a few people cos I couldn't see them :D - a nice way to do the last half decent length long run before the big day.

Tuesday 13/10

5.58 miles (8.98km) 50:23

Taking it fairly easy, pretty warm yesterday evening compared to recently... Had planned on getting out tonight but don't think it's going to happen now because of a late meeting on the other side of the city and the Ireland game... Tomorrow looks like a no-go too. Will see about Friday as I'm travelling, but might try to fit 5 or 6 miles in at some point.

2.8 miles (4.51km) 22:36

Didn't enjoy this at all, chest was tight after having a cold all week, hopefully feel better tomorrow though...

• Advertisement

7.77 miles (12.51km) 1:08:46

Easy enough run around Wexford town this morning. Chest very tight still but I'm sure that'll clear up more over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

xebec wrote: »
    7.77 miles (12.51km) 1:08:46

Easy enough run around Wexford town this morning. Chest very tight still but I'm sure that'll clear up more over the next few days.

What time were you out at, we might have just missed each other, I was out from 9 - 11, nearly there now, I'm getting fairly excited

What time were you out at, we might have just missed each other, I was out from 9 - 11, nearly there now, I'm getting fairly excited

Well, when I say morning it was more like 12:30 starting... If we'd passed I woulda given you a shout - would have recognised you from some of the racepix365 pics... Hopefully see you on marathon day :cool:

3.54 miles (5.7km) 32:30

Really nice short run, took it very easy on purpose and it still ended up being pretty much PMP...

Unplanned night off tonight, was gonna do somewhere around 4 miles but a combination of the really crappy weather and being on my feet all day recruiting grads meant I took the easy option...

No running tomorrow either, off to UL for a presentation in the evening before coming back to Dublin tomorrow night... Should be relaxing afternoon and evening spent on the train/in taxis/in a car back.

• Advertisement

Hi xebec, we're nearly there, any miles now are just junk miles really, how are you feeling about the big day?

Ah I know, it's just miles to keep the legs ticking over. Nothing fast and nothing long... Will stick in 2-3 miles on Friday and that should be it for the weekend...

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. Starting to get excited, but also quite nervous. Have let some of the people in work know that I'm running it - wanted some sponsorship off them - so that's not helping the nerves! Keeping it fairly low key though :)

On that note, if anyone is feeling generous and wants to donate some money towards the three great educational charities I'm raising money for then PM me and I'll send you a link. I think there's something like 50 people running for the charity and for everything we raise to €50k it's gonna be matched by another fund, so €100k is the target...

Good luck xebec, might see ya there

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck man, I hope everything goes well for you :)

2.5 miles (4km)

Just an easy trot to turn the legs over and remind them that they have a small bit of running to do tomorrow... Left the watch at home so totally ran by feel, feck it was windy out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck Xebec!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Xebec. I'll look out for ya. Have you got a boards singlet or are you running incognito?

Best of luck Xebec. I'll look out for ya. Have you got a boards singlet or are you running incognito?

I'll be in a yellow & black charity singlet, will make sure to come and find you and Amadeus as I'm hoping to stick with 4 hour pace...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

:) so how long did you stay with behind the black balloons for? all the way I hope!!
    Every water station I kept dropping back a bit further but I could still see them up to clonskeagh - found it tough going there. Managed 4.04.40 chip time myself- so am defo going back to find that 4.41 min next year.
    I hope you got the time you were looking for and thanks for introducing me to some of the other boardsies it was lovely to put faces to names!
    Looking forward to a few nice beers now:D
    Well done today!

Jenfer wrote: »
    :) so how long did you stay with behind the black balloons for? all the way I hope!!
    Every water station I kept dropping back a bit further but I could still see them up to clonskeagh - found it tough going there. Managed 4.04.40 chip time myself- so am defo going back to find that 4.41 min next year.
    I hope you got the time you were looking for and thanks for introducing me to some of the other boardsies it was lovely to put faces to names!
    Looking forward to a few nice beers now:D
    Well done today!

Hey Jenfer, was great to meet you today :) Race didn't really go as planned... Was with the balloons to 8 miles, but between miles 7 & 8 I knew I was in trouble - without giving TMI I needed a pitstop which lasted a few minutes. After that I decided to go with plan B, which was - this is my first marathon, going to take my time and enjoy it!

Had an absolute ball coming around, chatting to loads of people and high-fiving kids. Pace died right off but I didn't care, the atmosphere was bringing me along. Pink balloons passed me at about 19 miles which was a little disappointing, but just let them go. Found it tough over the last few miles, very sore knee for last two in particular, but with a bit of run-walk I made it the whole way round and soaked up the noise of the crowd.

This race plan meant that I didn't feel too bad at the end, unlike osnola ivax and Menoscemo afterwards with a big smile on my face, they weren't feeling quite as good as me...

Got home about an hour ago after a big steak and chips lunch, heading out to meet some friends for drinks tonight but nothing too crazy - prob stick to the non-alcoholic beers as I'm loving the no hangovers that I've had over the last 3 weeks :)

To everyone I met today - it was a pleasure!! Hopefully see you again sometime soon :) Haven't had a chance to check other's logs yet, but I hope you all got the time you were looking for - or enjoyed the race!

Jenfer - you'll get that 4:41 no bother next time!!

• Advertisement

26.6 miles (42.2km) 4:42:28

See report in post above. Absolutely thrilled to have finished my first marathon despite the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats xebec! Onwards and upwards.

Sorry xebec, it just occured to me I forgot to mention you aswell, thanks for holding my tops and the chat, it was a great help, see you in Wexford fella

well done today, sounds like you had right laugh

3.94 miles (6.35km) 37:06

Back to it today, really nice run this evening taking it easy.

Now to make plans for next goal...

6.92 miles (11.13km) 1:05:54

Cold out this evening but it was a nice evening for a run. One of my knees has been feeling a bit weak since the marathon and tonight there was a twinge in a tendon on the back of the knee a few times, not painful, more annoying. This worked itself out a bit over the run and finished by upping the pace for the last mile, the last quarter mile is the fastest I've run in months. Gonna take it relatively easy for the next week before looking at maybe building in some speedwork for shorter distances.

5.42 miles (8.72km) 46:04

First time out in over a week. Knee still giving me a bit of trouble, sore now... Ah well, Croke Park for the afternoon...

Friday 04/12/09

3.03 miles (4.88km)

Having real problems with motivation at the moment. Finally got my ass into gear on Friday and went out for a short run without my watch... Really enjoyed it so going to do a few more of these this week.

Christmas parties hit with a vengeance this week, with the first two of four company parties on Thursday and Friday...

3.67 miles (5.91km)

3.82 miles (6.14km)

Losing track of the number of times I've tried to get back into it now... Been seriously lacking motivation. Finally thought I was going to get back when I got sick over Christmas. Tonight was the first night when I thought the paths would be ok for running, in general it was. Feels good to have been out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi xebec, having the same motivational problems but tonight was a lovely night for running, welcome back

Advertisement