Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running along the road to nowhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Tuesday 05/01

3.82 miles (6.14km)

Got out last night as I knew what was ahead today, really glad I did. No way I was risking running this evening, walking home from work was bad enough, particularly crossing the roads in the city centre. Prob not out tomorrow either, have an appointment with my consultant in the afternoon and knowing him it could be evening time before I get home!

Have gotten a few runs in over the last week...

From what I remember:

4.2 miles

5.8 miles

3.95 miles (6.35km) 35:54
    - this was tonight, really enjoyed it even though it was pretty slow...

Have decided to be brave and give my first XC race since I was 14 a go tomorrow... Need some motivation to get back into things and hopefully this'll be a kick start :) Wish me luck!!

BHAA Eircom XC

5 miles (8.05km) 42:42

Delighted with that!! Really enjoyed the race today, conditions were perfect and the course wasn't too tough which deffo helped... Even happy with the way I took the race, settled in at a steady pace behind one runner for the first two laps, picked him off a third of the way through the last and managed to reel in a few others towards the end.

Read on here that someone's Garmin measured the course slightly long, so very pleasantly surprised with time too. Bring on Raheny next week, not really in shape for a new PB (39:00) but I'll give it socks anyway...

4.11 miles (6.62km) 38:30

Very slow this evening... Had a strange problem. Bottom of calf/achilles was very tight at start of run so purposely took it easy, didn't cause any major problems once I had warmed up a bit, think it was caused by me putting my foot in a hole during the XC on Sat. What was weird though was that I started losing the feeling in the same foot during the run, to the point where it was numb at the end... I don't think the shoe was too tight and cutting off circulation, but it's something I'll have to watch in future. Cleared up pretty quickly once the run was over.

On a positive note, it's great to see so many training logs here :)

[rant]
    I'm fed up.

Haven't been out since Monday, had a sniffle last Sunday/Monday which turned into a full blown flu followed by chest infection. I've had 3 full or partial days off work since then which means instead of finishing up on my current project on Friday I have to go back there next week. Ironically, had to leave the bar where mine and others leaving drinks were being held after an hour, not even the free bar could keep me there! (Although I'm off drink at the mo too which didn't help...)

And to top off a crappy week, I'm not going to be able to race Raheny tomorrow - if I'll be able to run it at all. Had been really looking forward to this despite my lack of training and it's more than a bit annoying!
    [/rant]

• Advertisement

5.4 miles (8.7km) 49:00

Really nice run, never felt too tough and distance wasn't a problem.

3.69 miles (5.94km) 30:49

First time I've gone running during my lunch break, not sure how much I like it but it was necessary today as have an event on this evening... Definitely didn't appreciate the wind, in my face on the way out, seemed to be in my face on the way back around the look too! Pace was reasonable but it felt like hard work.

BHAA NCF Cross Country, Swords

5 miles (8.05km) 43:07

Despite it being a flatter course than the eircom race a few weeks ago I definitely found this tougher. The ground was much softer because of the rain earlier in the week and before the start. Was fun having obstacles on the course (bails of hay) and the short trips through the woods and down and up the river bank definitely didn't help matters timewise! Once again glad to have finished. Dropped back a few places from people I finished with two weeks ago, but still managed to pick off three places on the final lap which is good.

YTD 44.79 miles (72.08km)

7.12 miles (11.46km) 70:09

Had real trouble finding the motivation to get out today. Eventually told myself to HTFU, put on my gear and went out the door... Typically, I really enjoyed the run! Little bit shorter than I was aiming for but that was because I didn't have a route pre-planned.

First reasonable week of running this week. Starting a new project in work tomorrow so just have to hope I can still find the time to get out - story is that the hours on the project are mental...

4.12 miles (6.62km) 38:31

That was tough, not sure why. Possibly because of the cold.

• Advertisement

5.71 miles (9.2km) 53:33

Still pretty slow going but more comfortable than last night. Really didn't want to go out tonight but managed to convince myself to put on the gear and at least try...

3.82 miles (6.15km) 34:16

Much easier going tonight. Again thought about not going out, working later and having to run afterwards is going to be hard to get used to, but made the right decision :)

9.48 miles (15.26km) 1:29:21

Longest run of the year! Really happy with today's run :)

5.15 miles (8.28km) 46:12

Actually made it out this evening, for once though I'm not sure how good an idea it was. Sore.

4.20 miles (6.76km) 38:39

Slow slow slow. And a bit cold too.

7.55 miles (12.15km) 1:05:19

Great run!! Felt really good and way faster than anything I've done lately... Considering this was supposed to be a LSR (well 6 miles of a LSR) the pace was a bit crazy, but held myself back to 9min/mile for the first 4 miles and then gave myself a bit more freedom for the rest to finish up with an average of 8:39/mile.

This week was supposed to be a cut-back week, but not to the extent that it has been. This has been almost totally down to work. When not leaving the office till after 9pm and facing an hour on Dublin Bus to get home, running isn't the highest priority! However went on a little shopping trip yesterday and picked myself up a backpack fit for running with, so the plan now is to run home one or two nights a week instead of sitting on the bus.

My other purchase yesterday was a new pair of runners. Hopped on the treadmill in Elvery's (had to buy there, vouchers) and had gait analysis done for the first time. Turns out I've been wearing the wrong type of shoe for years, so it's bye-bye Kayano's and hello Nimbus. Had a look at the video myself and agreed with the guy in the store that my foot-strike is very neutral with a very slight pronation on the right ankle, so hopefully these more neutral shoes will do the trick. If tonight is anything to go by they seem like they're the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good going Xebec. You haven't mentioned what your next target is? Bring on the the evening daylight. Wouldn't mind getting a few runs into work too, but it's around 15 miles, so would need to figure out some way to get back (not well served by public transport).

You haven't mentioned what your next target is? Bring on the the evening daylight. Wouldn't mind getting a few runs into work too, but it's around 15 miles, so would need to figure out some way to get back (not well served by public transport).

Have been keeping a bit quiet about the goal as it may all fall apart depending on work - looks like there's a lot of 7 day weeks ahead! But if all goes to plan I'm looking at doing Cork full - despite robinph's best attempts to convince me how stupid it was to run a marathon in June!

I haven't tried the running commute before, logistics being the main problem. Gonna try running home for a while and see how it goes. The direct route is less than 3.5 miles but handy enough to make that longer and keep it interesting...

4.1 miles (6.6km)

Jees that was horrible weather tonight. First run with the backpack tonight, found it tough going and the wind and rain didn't help... If the wind had been coming from the west I wouldn't have made it home and woulda been hopping on the Luas after about 2 miles!

6.48 miles (10.43km) 1:02:59

Another run home with the backpack tonight, indirect route around by the Grand Canal to add on the miles. Brought the watch tonight to see how slow I am with the bag - and the answer is slow!

• Advertisement

11.03 miles (17.75km) 1:41:22

Nice run in Phoenix Park today... Tough going against the wind but apart from that it was fine. The duathlon series was on today but I didn't see much of it.

Haven't been out since the run home because real life has gotten in the way, hopefully no issues like that this week.

4.1 miles (6.6km) 38:18

Handy enough tonight with the backpack on again... Just had a feed of pasta with a tomato based sauce and I'm still hungry but have nothing in the flat - must resist temptation of local shop for crap!

On a side note, had a little bit of knee pain after the long run on Sunday. It's worrying cos apparently the type of pain is typical of cartilage damage, but it was only there when climbing stairs or flexing my knee a lot. Little bit tender after 4 miles tonight so just gonna take it reasonable easy for the rest of the week. Hope it's just adjusting to the new runners and not any real damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Could be related to the extra weight of the backpack. Might be worth your while taking a break from the backpack running.

Could be related to the extra weight of the backpack. Might be worth your while taking a break from the backpack running.

Yep, it could be part of the reason, strange that it showed up on a long run without the backpack though... Unfortunately very soon it'll be running with the backpack or no midweek running cos work is going to be very busy for while so trying to get used to it. Making extra effort to keep the bag light which definitely help tonight compared to my first outings last week.

If it keeps being a problem will try switching back to the Kayano's when running with the backpack and see if that helps at all.

6.48 miles (10.43km) 57:58

Great run home with the backpack this evening. Five minutes faster than last week is fairly impressive :) And no knee pain as of yet which is a nice bonus...

12.04 miles (19.38km) 1:50:42

What a day!! Not a cloud in the sky and only a light breeze meant perfect day for LSR. Phoenix Park was crazy busy, not a huge amount of runners out (well apart from those in the National XC) but lots of people in general... Felt really good the whole way through and didn't feel like I was fading towards the end, finally getting a decent level of fitness up.

YTD: 136.17 miles (219.14km)

BHAA NCF Floodlight Challenge

~3.6 miles (~5.8km) 29:17

Tough race but very happy I did it :) No run tonight as knees are a little sore and had a function after work...

St Patricks Festival Road Race

3.11 miles (5km) 24:11

Wasn't feeling so good today. Appetite has been very low for a while and had little to eat over last few days. Would have like to have gone a bit faster but reasonably happy all things considered...

8.88 miles (14.3km) 1:20:44

Managed to blag the day off work by doing 13 hours yesterday :) Really glad I did cos it was a lovely day to get out for a run!

• Advertisement

BHAA NUI & AIB Cross Country, Maynooth

4 miles (6.44km) 32:20 (watch time) 31:59 (website)

Another very enjoyable XC race today, last one of the season. Went out faster than usual and found myself losing places for the first few laps, but I think I finished in a better position than I would have had it been more controlled. Had a fun race with one man over the last lap, kicked with about 500m to go and left him trailing :) Happy with the overall pace and a good round-off to my first XC season in 11 years!

Advertisement