Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card for the unemployed?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:01pm

I'm with Ulster Bank and have over €20K in savings accounts with them. I rang today about getting a credit card and was told because I'm unemployed I probably would be rejected. I have been out of work a good while though.

Is there anywhere that will give me a card? I've been using Wirecard and 3V but both are bit of a pain. I only want the card for online purchases.

I did some searching here and found out about the Halifax Visa debit card and have applied for it today. But I'm bracing myself for rejection because of my lack of employment. Do I have any other credit card options? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I don't see why you would be refused Visa debit card. Transactions will fail on these cards unless you have credit on them, won't they?

I'm not sure if any of the intermediary companies on the net take laser (moneybookers and the like), but may be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Have you tried Capital one ? .They sometimes will give new applicants a small balance account CC to start them off with and see how they manage .Then after a period of keeping on top of payments , might increase spending / balance power .Not sure if being unemployed will affect your application but your savings might swing the balance in your favor .No harm trying .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Halifax dont base approval on employment anymore. If you supplied bank stats it will be based on this. If you just supplied ID+address+pps, it will be based on ICB. When they first brought out the current account you had to be a good bank customer, but they laxed on the rules since first starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

A lot of shopping centres are doing Mastercard gift cards now which can be used online just like the real thing. I've used a couple and had no problems online.

Might be an easy short term solution for you.

Advertisement