Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog allergic to collars

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

She seems to be allergic to collars. The first one she had was never loosened when she was a pup(previous owner) and cut at neck, so the collar was off her until that healed. She never had a problem with putting on the collars, she'd let you do it. During a walk one day she just slumped down in the grass, I just thought she was tired because I'd been out with them for hours (mainly in another house). When I brought her inside she was scratching her face on everything, her whole face had swollen up, it was driving her demented. The vet said it was an allergic reaction.

We tried to figure out what she was allergic to and it seems it's collars. She now runs away when we try to put them on her and after a short walk the collar gos from too loose to too tight because her neck swells. It's not just one collar, any collar that would fit her(she's tiny) this seems to happen no matter what material it is made from. The next step is to buy a harness to go around her chest, hopefully that wont be as bad.

I'm just wondering, has anybody else ever heard of this, it seems really odd that a dog would be allergic to collars.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

That's strange, especially seeing as it happens with collars made from different materials. Could the dog's reaction be psychological because of her bad experience as a pup - you know that way people can get nervous reactions - can that happen? Hope the harness works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

She was fine with putting on collars until her face swelled. She never had them on for long because she couldn't be outside for long, we all thought she was going to die because of a lung infection so no one would let her out for long. In fact the night her face swelled was the longest walk she had after that she would run if she saw a collar in anybodies hand.

As well as that psychological reaction when it's on you can see that her face and neck has swelled up. The only type of collar that wasn't tried on her was a leather one, can't find any that would fit her (there are some cats that are bigger than her).

She's a very strange little pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 diamomddennis

have you tried a choke-chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

"Mary's" in Donegal have cheap leather collars...all sizes..

Some people; that must have been so painful for her. Poor wee thing.

Sounds scary indeed. If it is allergy to a substance, then a body harness will be the same?

If it is psycholgical/trauma, than a body harness may well work ; our rescued collie is traumatised by the sight of a lead, because she was left tied to a large weight 24/7. She just cowers and lies flat. She is fine wearing a collar because she cannot see it; but she "loses" them often even so.

We think often about a bidy harness, but she is well encloses here with a good gate and space to run so it is not needful.

These things run very deep indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are they nylon collars? One of my dogs can only wear leather collars because the material ones make her itch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement