Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Is The Best Alien?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Had a chance to do some classic re-viewing of Alien recently and wanted to see which film people taught was the best, and why. For me its gotta be Aliens, because James Cameron makes the film his own, and despite how good Ridley Scott's first film is there is nothing like more than one Alien (and for that matter a nest of Aliens) to creep you out!

Other highlights for me include the Dog Alien in Alien3 and, although I feel it wasn't a great film, Alien Reserection still did more for me than Paul WS Anderson's crappy Alien Vs. Predator adaptation. It was just like pissing the series name up against a wall, and taking what fans had been wishing for for years, and destroying the feel of it. The 2nd film was marginally better, because it re introduced that idea of suprise/suspense (like you get in the kitchen scene from the first Jurassic Park with the raptors and the children) and it also had some interesting and comical scenes - the young kid who got a "facehugger" in the films opening few minutes

The Best Alien Film? 27 votes

Alien
    0% 0 votes
    Aliens
    18% 5 votes
    Alien 3
    70% 19 votes
    Alien Reserection
    0% 0 votes
    Alien vs. Predator
    7% 2 votes
    Alien vs. Predator Requiem
    3% 1 vote

Comments

For me, it'll always be Aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Book: Alien
    Film: Aliens

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Aliens' for me. I've seen the movie countless times, both in its original form (as an ITV movie, including lines like: "I say we go in there and blow the whole goddamn nest") and in the director's cut version. I have it once on VHS and twice on DVD. In fact I have been able to quote nearly every line in the thing, such is my love for this movie, starting right off with "Bio read outs are all in the green, looks like she's alive.""Ahh, there goes our salvage guys".

On another note: Who the hell voted for Alien: Resurrection? I consider that movie an abominiation. In fact I love the Alien trilogy, because I do not consider there to be a fourth entry in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

Alien - the first one. A masterpiece. Aliens was a bit too action-y for me. The first one was more of a brooding suspense film. Hard to believe it was made in the 70's !

I thought the third one was very good aswell - despite getting panned by critics, but I agree with you ixoy - the series ended there ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I remember reading that James Cameron wanted to do a new Alien movie with Arnold Swartzenegger involved. That would have been briliant. Instead the studio went for Alien vs Preator :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This is rather interesting news that I haven't heard before....

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22405

Its an interview with Cameron in which he talks about the much fabled "Aliens 5" that people want to see...Yeah. Ridley and I talked about doing another ALIEN film and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th ALIEN film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, "We've got this really good script for ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I got pretty upset. I said, "You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind." Because to me, that was FRANKENSTEIN MEETS WEREWOLF. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.

On December 5th 2008 though Sigourney Weaver hinted in an interview with MTV that she and Ridley Scott are working on an Alien spinoff film which will focus on the chronicles of Ellen Ripley rather than the Aliens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Game over, man! Game over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

for me, it'll always be a tie between the first two. both compleatley different and both utterly brilliant. Aghhh! it's too hard to choose! oh, and everything that came after Aliens was ****, especially the third one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

The aliens from 2.Dunno about the Ripley spinoff thing,got kinda sick of her by the end of alien 4.Bring on the colonial marines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

ixoy wrote: »
    'Aliens' for me. I've seen the movie countless times, both in its original form (as an ITV movie, including lines like: "I say we go in there and blow the whole goddamn nest")

LOL - loved the dubbed over itv version. "What the Fun are we supposed to do now? Game over man."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Hudson: That's it man, game over man, game over!

Advertisement