Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with crap Lecturers?

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

I've had my third lecture by this guy and he is just really really bad. He goes off on tangents and it is really hard to concentrate on anything he is saying. He gives us out hard copies of his notes and they are written the way he gives the lectures. :confused:

I was thinking of asking him what is covered in the course and teaching myself. It's a part time course so it would be doable. But our attendance is noted so I'll have to go to class. I came out of the class extremely frustrated and I spoke during the break to others and they felt the same way.

Any suggestions on how to concentrate or make sense of his mess????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Question him again and again. If you don't understand something, don't let it go.

There is nothing more frustrating for a lecturer than a class who sit there like sheep not taking anything in but not saying anything. Make sure he knows there is a problem, so that if you have to take it further, it won't come as a surprise.

Also consider talking to the course co-ordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thanks for the reply.

He's going off on tangents and it's very hard to follow what he's talking about. And skips from one thing to another. The subject he's teaching I did in the Leaving Cert so I should know what he's on about but I just don't! I loved learning about this subject in school but my head is melted in his class. I'm normally not afraid of asking questions (sometimes I ask too many :o) but I'd be afraid he'd ramble on and still not understand.

He's the head of the course. :(

I think I'll ask him what is covered on the course and then work on it myself with books and the internet. At the moment he's teaching the cell which is easy enough but I'm totally confused. Maybe he's used to speaking about such complex things that the basic topics are hard for him to express?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fitz12

He might be the head of the course but he still has a boss the head of the department go to this person and discuss it with them. If he is anything like any of my lecturers he will take the criticism and try improving himself. At the end of the day students getting bad grades reflects badly on him. Jut talk to him about it he probably try change the way he dose it.

Advertisement