Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit paid, now mind changed.

• 26-01-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭

I have a deposit of €3k paid on a Lexus is220d 07. Now I am after reading some poor reviews of the car regarding reliability and fuel economy, which I should have checked beforehand but I didn't. Should I expect a negative response from the salesman tomorrow regarding the return of some of the deposit if I tell him I am not proceeding with the sale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Have you signed anything yet?

If you have, then the car is yours whether you like it or not.

I am not sure how it works with retail, but if someone gives me money against a car, and it is ordered, then i consider that car to belong to that person.

I would say that that salesman wont like it at all, in fact i'd be surprised if you get your deposit back.

Dont know how anyone else feels about it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Absolutely.

When did you intend to collect it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

You will probably get it back but I bet he makes it hard work for you. you changed your mind and its not the end of the world but pity the salesman. How much work did he just do for nothing. PS Im suprised to hear bad reports about the IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I'd get a lot more opinions on the car - it's fairly normal to make a commitment to a purchase, any purchase, and then suddenly feel worried. Every negative thing you hear tends to outweigh the good points tenfold. But I wouldn't let that sway me.

As far as the deposit goes, the point of it is to secure the deal and show your commitment. The dealer won't sell to someone else as you have claimed you'll buy it and given him 3k of the price. On the other hand, if you bail out, he gets the 3k. He might be decent and give you some back, but that depends on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The salesman won't be impressed at all but if you push hard enough you'll get it back. This sort of behaviour is rife at the moment - deals are being cancelled regularly. The most common reason is job loss/redundancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just bear in mind he will be stuck with that car, i'd bet that he wont give up the deposit too easy.

As far as im concerned, the IS is a great car, great car to drive, lots of poke in 4th and 5th gear for overtaking, comfortable to be in. Fuel economy is ok to IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are a great car and great service from lexus dealers too which is important. Ive heard of them having a appetite for brake discs and also some problem with the diesels needing cleaning due to carbon buildup in the engine?? but fab car overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

buy it, take it, and if you arent fully convinced, sell it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks for the replies lads. I wasn't happy with the 'What Car' readers reviews though. I'll let ye know how I get on.http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=2249

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I can't see why yot wouldn't get your full deposit back if the car was already in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

finbarrk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads. I wasn't happy with the 'What Car' readers reviews though. I'll let ye know how I get on.http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT=2249
    finbarrk wrote: »

Bear in mind that a lot of people use places like the above to vent about things they are not happy with. For every bad report you can be sure there are many, many happy owners out there who don't post about this at the risk of sounding like a smug g*t.

There are risks with every car and if you were to go on owner forums for other makes and models you would probably feel the same about another car afterwards.

I spoke to the salesman and he has reassured me that in the unlikely event of any problems the car would be collected from me and I would have a replacement while the fault is being repaired so I am going to take the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

You'll be fine.

Its always the angry and bitter ones that leave their comments on internet forums.........except for boards.ie of course :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/driver_power_2007/archive/?group=class&cat=compact_executive

In '07, the Auto Express Driver Power survey put the IS as "best in class".

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Lexus/IS/2005/Sedan/ratings

JD Power ranks it pretty highly too.

Enjoy the car, don't look back!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I would have loved an IS, I thought it was a great looking car, really nice and comfortable to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭secman

There are usually only a handfull of reports on any car and they tend to be the Monday morning one in a million car that everything seems to go wrong with it. If you read up all the rants you would find it hard to find a car you would want to buy !

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Best of luck with the new motor OP... Lovely car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

€3000 deposit?! I'd be thinking €100 max - a deposit is a deposit after all.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Best of luck with the new motor OP... Lovely car.
    +1, very few Lexus owners are unhappy with their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

From what I have heard the IS is pretty far from a bad car. Infact I would love one myself lol.

Best of luck with it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I'd say that keeping the deposit by the salesman wouldn't be 100% legal.
    After all there was no sale, so what do you think - how he's supposed to document that income?

Advertisement