Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potterton 50L Boiler Pressure

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a Potterton 50L Gas Boiler.
    Recently the radiators seemed to be getting airlocked a lot.

Tonight I went to look for a pressure gauge and found what you see in the attached image. Having read here about using a valve to top up the system, I turned the knob directly above the gauge in the picture (pressureGauge.jpg).

This actually started draining the system, with water coming out of the pipe to the left, I hadn't seen the pipe was just open near the ground.

The pipe with the gauge comes out from the top of the Boiler. (see pics of boiler,gauge2,gaugeplumbing)

There's a second pipe coming from the top of the boiler with a small black cap like the one near the gauge. No idea what it does. Anyone make a guess about what I could do to get the pressure in the system back up?

There is a very small cyclinder below the boiler, about 4 litre volume maybe, thinking this has something to do with the pressure. It is never warm so don't know what it does

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

it looks like there is some old gb pipe work still in the system , so i think there is a built up of sludge etc and this is blocking the flow if the the valves are more than 12/15 years old you should get them changed , and ideally get rid of the gb, pm me if you need help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I would guess that the small black cap you speak of is a Schraeder valve that is used for topping up the system. Needs a water hose from the main connected to it. If you unscrew the black cap, and if it is the right valve, it will have a small pin sticking up into the threaded top (like on a car tyre).
    The red cylinder is the pressure pot. It has a diaphragm inside it and should have air above the diaphragm and water below it. There should be Schraeder valve on it too, to which a car pump can be connected to restore the air pressure. Find the valve on it and push down the pin. If no air comes out you need to pump it up. If water comes out then the diaphragm is faulty and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If water started coming out an open pipe, then, it's almost certain, the knob you turned is just a safety valve, which will release if the pressure goes too high. I don't see anywhere in the photos for filling the system. The fill valve may be in the hotpress. I don't think that there is any GB in the system. I see 1 dirty pipe, but I think that it is copper.
    Jim.

Advertisement