Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another radiator problem

Options
  • 27-01-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

So I have a problem with one of my radiators. Basically I can't get it to heat up properly. It's in the largest and coldest room of the house so it's a bit of a problem. When i first found the problem i noticed that it was cold on the bottom and hot on top. Not knowing alot about radiators other than to bleed them for air i tried this to no avail. After a bit of reading i realised it was probably a sludge in radiator problem. Some of the other radiators had this but mostly just minor problems. I drained nearly all the water from the feed tank and added a desclaer/sludge remover. However, although most of the other radiators are now great, this one is worse than ever. It's a double and the back part won't heat at all. The front heats at top but after the heats been on a while it then goes cold even though all other radiators are really hot and it's lock shield vale is fully opened (turned completely anti-clockwise). Any one any ideas what could try. Realise the system could need balancing as other lock shield valves were nearly all full but turned these down but no use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Does it have a manual valve or a thermostatic valve ?
    Also try turning off the other rads and see if the water will push through that rad.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

JamesM wrote: »
    Does it have a manual valve or a thermostatic valve ?
    Also try turning off the other rads and see if the water will push through that rad.
    Jim.

They are all on manual valves. I closed a bit some of the lock shield valves on some of the radiators last night as they seemed to be all fully open and some of the radiators were piping hot. This seems to have helped the cold radiator a bit so was thinking alright of turning off a couple of radiators and seeing if that helps as well. Thanks for suggestion. Will also try to balance the radiators properly at w'end when i get a chance to buy a couple of thermometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If turning off all the others pushes the water through that rad, then you know that it is not blocked. Then you can try balancing the system. Also make sure that the circulating pump is on the fast speed.
    Jim.

Advertisement