Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC problem

• 27-01-2009 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

My internet and TV connection went mental on me today and I'm not happy.

I try logging on to the internet and it asks me to give a SID or username and a password.

I've tried every combination I can think of but I've no idea what my SID or username is and the only password I ever signed up was the security password on my internet connection and that doesn't seem to do anything with all the possible usernames I can think of.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

(I'm currently feeding off a neighbour while trying to figure this problem out.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I rang UPC when I was about to reset our Wireless Router (we forgot the password so had to reset...) but before doing that I rang them to ask for our UPC Username & Password as I didn't know them. Turns out there isn't such a thing with UPC so if you have to enter a Username & Password it looks like your UPC Modem is having problems.

Of course I could be COMPLETELY wrong here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Your modem has probably been switched off, Ring 1908 tomorrow and ask for it to be checked out. SID and password are for installers/techs installing/swapping a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I've tried plugging it out and turning it off for a while but it's been useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

redcrew wrote: »
    My internet and TV connection went mental on me today and I'm not happy.

I try logging on to the internet and it asks me to give a SID or username and a password.

I've tried every combination I can think of but I've no idea what my SID or username is and the only password I ever signed up was the security password on my internet connection and that doesn't seem to do anything with all the possible usernames I can think of.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

(I'm currently feeding off a neighbour while trying to figure this problem out.)

If both your tv and bb are gone its probably an issue with your account ie. bill issue. If you have an email address with upc that is your ssid username and the password is the same as your email one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

I don't have an email address with UPC and the bill is paid... I'll sort it in the morning...as for now, I'm annoyed :-/ but I'll live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Had the same issue.
    They cancelled my account.
    Had to get a new modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

my bill was due on the 22nd of jan, i got cut off a 10:30pm on the 21st. i paid the bill and i got connection again. looks like its an automated system thats 1 hr ahead . some idiot in the home office doesnt understand there is such things as timezones

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dbpackers

Just switched my phone to UPC and got a new Modem (already a TV/Broadband subscriber). Wired up the new modem and got the same SID login screen. Switched back to the old modem and everything is rosy again, so its not my account, it's the modem.

Will call them this afternoon to see what the issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I was in the same boat as you (added phone on to existing Broadband). Turned out, that despite being sent the new SA modem, my phone was provisioned on my existing Cisco pile of crap (just had to switch back from bridge mode). A phone call (20+mins on hold) got it sorted out quickly, and i even got them to provision the SA modem instead of the Cisco one. Happy days.

So, the phone might work on your existing modem. If not, a quick phone call should sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is there nothing in the documentation that came with the replacement modem to tell you to call them?

there is no username or password for you to enter and your line is tried to the mac address of the modem/router that's connected to it. as DingDong says, the SID and password are for installers/techs installing/swapping a modem and they normally have to call UPC themselves to get a new device provisioned when they install one or swap one out. you should be able to have support guide you through the process though easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 dbpackers

cgarvey wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as you (added phone on to existing Broadband). Turned out, that despite being sent the new SA modem, my phone was provisioned on my existing Cisco pile of crap (just had to switch back from bridge mode). A phone call (20+mins on hold) got it sorted out quickly, and i even got them to provision the SA modem instead of the Cisco one. Happy days.

So, the phone might work on your existing modem. If not, a quick phone call should sort it out.

Yep. That's what it was. Old modem still provisioned. They sorted it out over the phone, although he did have to give me the SID and password as he couldn't get it working from his end. Once I got through that screen it never came back again.

Next thing on my list is to call them to get the phone working. No dial tone, nothing happens when I make a call or when I call the temporary number. Not an issue for now as my old wired connection is still active, but it'll need to be sorted soon.

On a related note, I never considered it before now but I'm going to have to leave the modem on permanently now. I used always switch that stuff off at night. The new modem doesn't get as hot as the old one, but all the plugs are tucked away behind the TV in a multiblock tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dbpackers wrote: »
    On a related note, I never considered it before now but I'm going to have to leave the modem on permanently now. I used always switch that stuff off at night. The new modem doesn't get as hot as the old one, but all the plugs are tucked away behind the TV in a multiblock tower.
    i haven't had mine off for more than a few minutes since i got it in November 2008 and its been grand.

mind you, i'm a hoar for not turning stuff off.

i have a giant 7 bay NAS, a PC & a nettop that are on 24/7 and various other yokes that are on and off throughout the day.

no wonder the wife keeps moaning about the electricity bill! :eek:

Advertisement