Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Refusal....?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I'm with pernament tsb and I'm a taking a gap year before and college and am working somewhat more than part time in a petrol station and I got refused for a laser card.......?

I haven't an overdraft and I use the account often enough so why should I be refused for one ? They just said they're wasn't enough money going through the account, where as my friend who's with BOI got one sent to her in the mail without even asking !

Should I just move to another bank ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

In my experience, PTSB are not really a "student" bank. For example, I have a credit card with PTSB that I've had for a number of years now. Because I was a student when I first applied for it, however, I had to get my parents to go as guarantor on it, and jump through absolutely loads of hoops to get it. At the same time, I had friends living hand to mouth on overdrafts and credit cards from AIB and BOI.

While I've always thought it makes sense to build up an amount of history with a particular bank, if you're looking to do some student friendly banking, I'd recommend opening another account with BOI or AIB. They will offer you services that PTSB simply won't, such as student loans, credit cards, overdrafts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The post office have a maesto card, I think you can almost be sure to get one. Also as above try BOI or AIB. I heard PTSB are a little harder to get a laser card from. You could try Ulster or Halifax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

BOI seem to be sending everyone with an ATM card, a laser card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

heymcflyx wrote: »
    The post office have a maesto card, I think you can almost be sure to get one.

Postbank, as opposed to the Post Office - but yes, they do guarantee a Maestro card if you successfully open an account.

Downside, it's Maestro with no Laser functionality (some stores such as Aldi/Lidl can be funny about accepting it) and has no cashback functionality yet, and can't be used for internet purchases.

Apparently they're working on the cash-back and cardholder not-present functionality, but don't seem to be in any hurry to get it running - which is a shame. They'd have a reasonably attractive product if it wasn't for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Thanks for the comments :)

But today I walked into AIB in town with my passport and PSTB bil opened an account, and i'm getting a debit card straight away ! I asked about credit cards and they said I would have to wait a year before i get one but when i go to college in september i'll get one like that :P

And straight after i went down to PSTB to close my account, and stupidly had an AIB brochure in my hand :) oh well sucks for them

and on PSTB not being a student bank it's true, i was looking at their student benefits and the best they have is a personalised card.........but i'm not a student, i'm a working man =p

Oh well problem solved, still would like to know why I couldn't get a laser in PSTB though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Bring photo id, a utility bill and 10euro into halifax and you will get a visa debit laser card within 10 days........no fuss or messing.

I just dont understand how backward some banks are regarding stuff like this..........a friend of mine applied for a debit card over the phone at boi and they told him he couldnt have one. The following day he went into a branch and asked to get one and they refused. He then pointed out to cashier "let me get this right, you have given me 2mil euro in loans but you will not give me a debit card?" lol................the cashier disappeared for 30 seconds, came back and told him one was in the post........honestly, can you get more incompetent?.......actually, scratch that, nothing surprises me these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

BOI refused me a laser card even tho a large enuff amount was deposited in my amount monthly, they also refused me a 100 euro overdraft when i was really stuck on a leap month

Seems theres no regard for loyal customers ( been with them 15 years )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

daithijjj wrote: »
    Bring photo id, a utility bill and 10euro into halifax and you will get a visa debit laser card within 10 days........no fuss or messing.

I just dont understand how backward some banks are regarding stuff like this..........a friend of mine applied for a debit card over the phone at boi and they told him he couldnt have one. The following day he went into a branch and asked to get one and they refused. He then pointed out to cashier "let me get this right, you have given me 2mil euro in loans but you will not give me a debit card?" lol................the cashier disappeared for 30 seconds, came back and told him one was in the post........honestly, can you get more incompetent?.......actually, scratch that, nothing surprises me these days.

amazing =p i always wondered if they'd give me a laser card if i threatened to move banks but never tried cause today was the first time i went in for about a month or so

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    amazing =p i always wondered if they'd give me a laser card if i threatened to move banks but never tried cause today was the first time i went in for about a month or so

I had an acc with PTSB for 13 years, moved to england for a few years, kept the account. Moved back, went in and asked for a debit card (had 20k to deposit), didnt even need an overdraft.........."sorry sir". I said fine, close this account, went to halifax who i never had dealings with and had one in 7 days.

It still gives me a good laugh that my mate couldnt get a debit card despite having 5 mortgages with boi..........8/9 k going into his account per month and couldnt get a card to buy milk and bread at tesco :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

dobsdave wrote: »
    BOI seem to be sending everyone with an ATM card, a laser card.

They're doing away with Cirrus cards, it's going to be a choice of either plain ATM or Laser card, so everyone who has a Cirrus card is getting a Laser card sent out in the post with a letter explaining why. The Cirrus cards won't work from 6th feb onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 dizzybridie

Apparently PTSB just don't do laser cards to student a/cs unless you upgrade to an ordinary current account. You should ask them what time of one you have. They do a quick credit check on you and see will u have decent amt going into your a/c. As for the BOI guy, am quite sure his a/c is obv all over the place if he was refused a laser or his credit rating is poor. He wld prob find there'd be no way he'd get approval on any of those big mortgages now if he was going in.

Dont be silly dizzybridie...........he was approved another 5Ok for an extension 3 weeks after that...........incompetence is not unusual.

Advertisement