Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Donaghas is to buy back the Ivory.

Options
  • 27-01-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I heard rumors from a good source that the Ivory in Dalkey is being sold back to the previous owners the McDonagh family. The current owners / leaser's have run into liquidation. That was my local for about 10 years during the 80ies. :)

I hope they bring it back to the way it was and leave it that way. :D

mcdonaghs.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I hope they bring it back to the way it was and leave it that way. :D

It's not all that bad as it is. Modernish without trying too hard (if you know what I mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It's not all that bad as it is. Modernish without trying too hard (if you know what I mean).
    I have only been in the place once since the change over. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was ok as either... bit more trendy as Ivory but I wonder how much they are buying it back for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I like it as it is, but it didn't look like it was making much money. It's a shame actually as I have always found the service in there to be very good. Great for people like me who decide to treat the family to a bite to eat conveniently timed to coincide with a live football match! I wonder if Dalkey is over subscribed when it comes to watering holes?

I like it as it is, but it didn't look like it was making much money. It's a shame actually as I have always found the service in there to be very good. Great for people like me who decide to treat the family to a bite to eat conveniently timed to coincide with a live football match! I wonder if Dalkey is over subscribed when it comes to watering holes?
    Dalkey has priced its self out of the market as with any other drinking town, I haven't been out in Dalkey for a pint in over two years yet when I'm in Dublin I live only 2 miles away. I was shocked two years ago when I decided to go out on New Years Eve for a pint. the town was empty, compared to its heyday back in the 80ies. 90ies.

I Believe Mack's was bought back at a fraction of the price (From a reliable source that was talking to Freda recently). If they could pass this on to the regulars in the way of a resonable priced pint they may attract some of their former regulars back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Hopefully it'll be brought back to what it was. I've been living in Dalkey for a while now and it's the only pub I wouldn't drink in. No atmosphere, full of knackers and just not pleasant overall IMO.

Used to be climbing pub too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hopefully it'll be brought back to what it was. I've been living in Dalkey for a while now and it's the only pub I wouldn't drink in. No atmosphere, full of knackers and just not pleasant overall IMO.

as opposed to no atmosphere, over priced and full of wannabe D4 types like all the other pubs in Dalkey:D

I usually only go in there during the day, before the ferengi come out:)

Fitzgeralds FTW:cool:

Used to be a great bikers pub in the 80ies,{EDIT}

Lets not say stuff like that without proof - Agent Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Don't know how they ever expected to make money from it when they treated people who should have been their target market, ie me, locals in early 20's, like **** back in their hayday. So long Ivory.

Ugh just realised this was my 1,000th post. what a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

as opposed to no atmosphere, over priced and full of wannabe D4 types like all the other pubs in Dalkey:D

Fitzgeralds FTW:cool:

Agree with you on Fitzgeralds. The only pub I would drink in Dalkey is "The Kings Inn" across from the chipper, none of the D4 heads, none of the trendy wendys :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement