Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-google search?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Pre-amble;
    1. I do not claim to have in depth knowledge of search engines.
    2. I do not press to put down google or anyone else.
    3. Msn, yahoo, ask, altavista... = none are not here for your enjoyment, it's a money game.

Please do tell me (with facts) if I'm wrong but;
    Google has now been around for a long long time, originally getting usage due to their quick loading page an inovative spider based search.
    The search info & selection inputted into their page has and will always remain their property.
    The lag in information gathering will always leave any other search engine at odds to compete.
    Google could concievable block/black list any, page/code/text... without any independent regulator body knowing (let alone caring).
    I hope not to sound too dramatic but; with maybe over 80% of traffic going through google, and the majority of info being on the web- Google rules the world???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Maille wrote: »
    Pre-amble;
    1. I do not claim to have in depth knowledge of search engines.
    2. I do not press to put down google or anyone else.
    3. Msn, yahoo, ask, altavista... = none are not here for your enjoyment, it's a money game.

Please do tell me (with facts) if I'm wrong but;
    Google has now been around for a long long time, originally getting usage due to their quick loading page an inovative spider based search.
    The search info & selection inputted into their page has and will always remain their property.
    The lag in information gathering will always leave any other search engine at odds to compete.
    Google could concievable block/black list any, page/code/text... without any independent regulator body knowing (let alone caring).
    I hope not to sound too dramatic but; with maybe over 80% of traffic going through google, and the majority of info being on the web- Google rules the world???

And your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Maille wrote: »

Google are a private company and can distort or censor their content as they see fit. They are not subject to regulatory scrutiny in such matters. Why should they be? If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to use them. However their good name is somewhat dependent on them being seen 'to do no evil' (their motto).

In their own business interests they already have seen fit to censor result in China and possibly other places as these places are huge markets. As a private company their primary obligation is to their investors and they simply have to bow to China's demands or lose revenues.

Google censors itself for China
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4645596.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Maille

RangeR wrote: »
    And your point?

look at the google adds you specifically get.
    Should there but better international regulation of tracking cookies?
    i know the data storage time google has been cut from 2036, but with increasing realtime tracking and rapidly changing interests why does every internet user need to be tracked?
    I know you can go to lenghts to disable the tracking but the wider population has little or no knowledge of this.
    Just because google say they do no harm is it true? perception can be different to reality.

I don't want to run down google, they have done great things in making the web more accessible, it's the lack of competition that is worring.
    Why don't they publish their "filters" for search results, or at least a verbal discription of their ranking system?
    do sites that imposed google analytics get a better rank etc...

with android, google voice and no doubt a linux based OS in the medium term they are begining to achieve virtually what virgin tried to in reality in the uk, single brand total service.
    the beauty is they make it all free so that you buy what they tell you to

Advertisement