Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest Flop Signing Of The Season So Far

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Based on a grand total of zero appearances since his move :rolleyes:

Ah Xavi you don't have to be mystic meg to see that it will end in tears. FOUR :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Based on a grand total of zero appearances since his move :rolleyes:

how many goals has he got? eh, eh?

how many assists? eh, eh?

He's done nothing of note and you knows it.

how many goals has he got? eh, eh?

how many assists? eh, eh?

He's done nothing of note and you knows it.

See Xavi the stats back it up. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bellamy's gonna bang in goals and I for one can't wait.

Oddly enough I watched that european Game that Jo was unbelieable in, he went straight into my fantasty football team that weekend, so I guess he was my worse signing.

Chimbonda I suppose was the worse signing, a true mercenary of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Robbie Keane 18 League appearances, 5 goals

Dmitar Berbatov 19 League appearances, 5 goals

Who cost more? Stats say Berbatov is worse than Keane.

Love these stats.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

WOW

A month or two is a long time
    If this thread was done 4/5weeks back . I'd expect to see Berbatov's name all over it.

I would have to agree with some of ye and say Robbie Keane.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This thread is ridiculous.

When I saw the thread title before clicking in I just knew it was a wolf in sheeps clothing hatchet job on Robbie Keane.

*sigh*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eagle eye wrote: »
    Robbie Keane 18 League appearances, 5 goals

Dmitar Berbatov 19 League appearances, 5 goals

Who cost more? Stats say Berbatov is worse than Keane.

Love these stats.:D

Berbatov: 23 (21+2) 10 7
    Keane: 27 (23+4) 7 5

I'd say Berbatovs stats look better to be honest...never would have guessed that he had less starts than Keane though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

NGog > Robbie Keane

Fhhhhhhhhhaxct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

spockety wrote: »

When I saw the thread title before clicking in I just knew it was a wolf in sheeps clothing hatchet job on Robbie Keane.

*sigh*.

Indeed, follow that up with the OP's *mystical* look Nasri et-al, and you have the bucket of poo that this thread is....

spockety wrote: »

*sigh*.

Would you prefer the title was changed to "Apart From Robbie Keane...Who is the biggest flop of the season."

Not everyone said Keane, get over yourself for half an hour Spockety, the world is not after you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's only 4 months in, I'd be wary to write off people that quickly. Especially people who have always performed better after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Boggles wrote: »
    Not everyone said Keane, get over yourself for half an hour Spockety, the world is not after you.

Ah but a large part of it is.

For Spurs: David Bentley

In general: Has to be Jo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

For Arsenal: Gallas

Overall. Robbie Keane, big hype and the usual crash, then again i havent heard anything about Jo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

jank wrote: »
    For Arsenal: Galas

Huh?? he was a couple of years ago.

Ye jo is up there very little retuen for 19 mill (correct me if im wrong)

I cannot understand for the life of me how so many people are saying Robbie Keane, he is a proven premiership performer for a good few years now.
    He was captain of spuds, he is captain of Ireland and because he only scores 5 league goals, Kuyt has the same amount but with 5 more games, you all jump on his back and say he is the biggest flop of the season.
    I really don't get where you are coming from unless you just started watching football this season, in which case I suppose an unknown player costing 20 mill would be a slight dissapointment, but you have to put a lot of what has happened down to the man who bought him and the style of football the manager has his team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I cannot understand for the life of me how so many people are saying Robbie Keane, he is a proven premiership performer for a good few years now.
    He was captain of spuds, he is captain of Ireland and because he only scores 5 league goals, Kuyt has the same amount but with 5 more games, you all jump on his back and say he is the biggest flop of the season.
    I really don't get where you are coming from unless you just started watching football this season, in which case I suppose an unknown player costing 20 mill would be a slight dissapointment, but you have to put a lot of what has happened down to the man who bought him and the style of football the manager has his team play.

Emmmm the thread title says "Biggest Flop Signing Of The Season So Far" so by saying all the great things he's done prior to this season you are just in fact strengthening the case against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Emmmm the thread title says "Biggest Flop Signing Of The Season So Far" so by saying all the great things he's done prior to this season you are just in fact strengthening the case against him.

my sentiments exactly tbh

he has a proven track record prior to this transfer, so you would have to say that this transfer so far is a flop, the most expensive and over hyped one of the season, which, if im not mistaken is roughly what this thread is supposed to be about??

im not into the whole Keane bashing thing, its just a simple fact that he has underperformed, and you can say what you want about it, out of the 34 games the pool have played so far, he has played in 27, starting 23 of them..... its not exacly as if he gets no playing time now is it

but you have to put a lot of what has happened down to the man who bought him and the style of football the manager has his team play.

I think that bit is very important as well. Gerard has 9 goals in the league, nobody else as Liverpool has more than 5 league goals including Torres. And Torres has played 11 so its not like he is doing anything special either. Basically he has scored as many goals as any other forward at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

but you have to put a lot of what has happened down to the man who bought him and the style of football the manager has his team play.

I think that bit is very important as well. Gerard has 9 goals in the league, nobody else as Liverpool has more than 5 league goals including Torres. And Torres has played 11 so its not like he is doing anything special either. Basically he has scored as many goals as any other forward at Liverpool.

which is not good enough, for either of them, although torres can use injury as an excuse and im sure he will still oush 15+ by the end if he stays fit, you just cant see the same happening for Keane this season unfortunately, if he gets his head down, trains hard im sure he has a future, he just needs more time to find his feet there i guess, and i hope its the case, for irish sakes anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

jasonorr wrote: »
    Berbatov: 23 (21+2) 10 7
    Keane: 27 (23+4) 7 5

I'd say Berbatovs stats look better to be honest...never would have guessed that he had less starts than Keane though!

This is why I don't bother getting involved in these arguments.

The perception is that AF has stuck with Berbatov and supported him until he came good. The perception is that Keane has been completely let down by Rafa and not given enough chances to prove his quality.

Then when facts are presented that contradicts a posters perception of the topic, they then argue complete bull**** as they aren't big enough to admit that they got it wrong.

SAF never dropped Berba this season just for the record, he was injured and he didnt play in a couple of league cup games, he has been a consistent starter when fit though in fairness

but pool fans cant say that Keane isnt getting a fair crack though, he has played some part in all but 7 of the pools games this season, no excuse for not playing better, maybe not belting goals in every week, but his performances are not up to scratch from what im told ( might of course be wrong, dont watch pool games a whole lot)

This is why I don't bother getting involved in these arguments.

The perception is that AF has stuck with Berbatov and supported him until he came good. The perception is that Keane has been completely let down by Rafa and not given enough chances to prove his quality.

Then when facts are presented that contradicts a posters perception of the topic, they then argue complete bull**** as they aren't big enough to admit that they got it wrong.
    I'm not running down Berbatov either. I just put that up for fun, there was a smiley at the end of it. He has only hit form in the last month or so, but he finally did hit form.
    You can perceive what you like. I said that he took time to settle in, he started playing well and then he gets dropped, he comes back in, gets dropped again, has another good spell and gets dropped again last weekend. That has to affect the mans confidence. Dirk Kuyt was a striker when he came to Liverpool, somebody else explained it nicely, square peg in a round hole, its the same with Keane, he is playing a role thats not usual for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote: »
    SAF never dropped Berba this season just for the record, he was injured and he didnt play in a couple of league cup games, he has been a consistent starter when fit though in fairness

but pool fans cant say that Keane isnt getting a fair crack though, he has played some part in all but 7 of the pools games this season, no excuse for not playing better, maybe not belting goals in every week, but his performances are not up to scratch from what im told ( might of course be wrong, dont watch pool games a whole lot)

his performances were excellent when he & Torres got a bit of a run together.

the game when they tore Everton a new arsehole for example.

i dont doubt that he could and will forge a great partnership with torres if given the time, in fact i said something to that effect in the Robbie Keane thread i believe, but i just dont see it happening this season as its too far gone, torres wont be 100% for another couple of weeks with getting back up to match speed and that, and with the likely confidence issues Keane will have not to mention whatever slight he feels has been throw his way by Benitez it will be next season before we see if the Keane Torres partnership will work as it was expected

i hope he gets his head down and sticks out this rough patch, fights for his place and proves alot of people wrong.......it can only benefit Ireland i feel and thats all that matters to me in relation to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think Rafa has just realised he cant play up top on his own-i expect when Torres is fit for Robbie to be reintroduced back into the fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Des basically summed up my opinion on Robbie Keane a few days ago;
    because he was bought in to play in his best role, as a support striker. The striker he was bought to support has been injured for the majority of this season.

For this very reason I'm going to reserve judgement on Keane's debut season in the red shirt until the season is over.

The only thing that *possibly* has me disappointed in regards to Robbie is that he is letting himself get down due to Rafa's rotation of him (Rafa's been around long enough, Robbie should have known the deal) and the media coverage on him. In both instances, Keane should really know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Keane hasn't been a flop. Oh Jesus H Christ.

We paid too much for him no doubt but he has contributed loads.

One poster gave a pretty weak list of reasons as to why Nasri isn't a flop, I could do a similar one for Keane.

Scored on his hom CL Debut against PSV.
    Set up the crucial opening goal in the Mersetside Derby.
    Match-winning performance and goals against West Brom.
    Crucial assist for Gerrard in the Boro win.
    Absolutely crucial (and brilliant) goal against Arsenal.
    Match winning display and goals against Bolton.
    Important goal away to Athletico Madrid.
    Excellent assist for N'Gog away to PSV.

This is all at a pinch by the way, a bit more research could defo bring up more. Add to this the fact Rafa has played him irratically and Torres has missed much of the season and I feel you find FLOP is a very harsh word.

God we have a propensity to single out the players from the big teams. Surely there are players who signed for their clubs and contributed a helluva lot less than the above.

thats also my issue, the apparent reaction from Keane to rafa selection policy

if torres has stayed fit this season i really dont think we would be having these threads tbh, but **** happens, you have to do your job as a pro, get your head down and keep working hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

For Liverpool: Dossena

How anyone can say Keane has been worse than him is merely just jumping on a bandwagon. Keane has not set the world alight, and there have been circumstances which have contributed to that which have been mentioned in this and other threads. (I still believe he could've done better). Dossena on the other hand has been a donkey so far. Lack of pace, strength or positional sense to cope with the PL at the moment. The Hull game against Mendy must still give him and Rafa nightmares.

Overall: Bentley

It's probably Dossena, but just to pick on a different player I'll pick the Beckham wannabe. As much as I dislike 'Arry I remember reading somewhere and agreeing with comments he had saying that he needs to get back to doing what made him great at Ewood Park. His work rate sucks, he thinks he can just stand there and spray balls about. There's more to PL football than that, and deep down he's got to know that. But at the moment, he seems to think he's better than that.

I'll qualify all this by saying he could still be a huge success if he gets his a$$ in gear.

noodler wrote: »
    One poster gave a pretty weak list of reasons as to why Nasri isn't a flop, I could do a similar one for Keane

Nasri is in his first season at a new club and in a new country, he's a midfielder and only 3 of our strikers have scored more than him. He's a very good player and passer of the ball and I've been delighted with how quickly he's settled in at the club. It's ridiculous that his name is being mentioned in this thread, have people even watched him play this season???

Yup and out of the game for large periods would be one of my criticisms. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is a flop either, I was just highlighting the overkill of the Keane bandwagon.

Yup and out of the game for large periods would be one of my criticisms. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is a flop either, I was just highlighting the overkill of the Keane bandwagon.

It's his first season and he's done better than I could have hoped for and is constantly improved whereas Keane hasn't met expectations at all, no comparison to be made there!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

For Your Favourite Team: Dimitar Berbatov (Too lazy for my liking) How he geta a game before Tevez I don't know!

Overall: Dead heat between Jo and Robbie Keane

It's his first season and he's done better than I could have hoped for and is constantly improved whereas Keane hasn't met expectations at all, no comparison to be made there!

Laughable post to be honest.

Your expectations of Nasri must have been rock bottom to begin with then if he has done better than you could possibly have hoped for.

Don't you worry about people's expectations, just look at exactly what each has contributed and you will find the only real difference is their price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I'm not running down Berbatov either. I just put that up for fun, there was a smiley at the end of it. He has only hit form in the last month or so, but he finally did hit form.
    You can perceive what you like. I said that he took time to settle in, he started playing well and then he gets dropped, he comes back in, gets dropped again, has another good spell and gets dropped again last weekend. That has to affect the mans confidence. Dirk Kuyt was a striker when he came to Liverpool, somebody else explained it nicely, square peg in a round hole, its the same with Keane, he is playing a role thats not usual for him.

Em ok, my post wasn't aimed at you if thats what you were thinking posting?!?!

Laughable post to be honest.

Your expectations of Nasri must have been rock bottom to begin with then if he has done better than you could possibly have hoped for.

Don't you worry about people's expectations, just look at exactly what each has contributed and you will find the only real difference is their price tag.

Right, we'll just leave it at that as your comments are ridiculous...ciao!

Right, we'll just leave it at that as your comments are ridiculous...ciao!

Aye, the last bastion for a man that has ran out of counterpoints.

Go sign more 12m players for whom you have no expectations. That way EVERYONE exceeds your expectations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Nasri and keane have scored the same amount of goals (5) and have roughly the same goal per mins ratio which is the stat that everyone is looking at
    Nasri is a MIDFIELDER
    Keane is a STRIKER
    Nasri is also younger and less experienced in the Premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

For Liverpool: Dossena. What a waste of 8 million he was. Insua is a far more promising left back.

And anyone saying Keane get off the bandwagon. For some reason when Berba was doing sweet **** all and Keane was doing alright it was still all on Keane. And Benitez being his usual erratic self doesnt help. Ive never wanted a player to succeed more than Robbie at Liverpool now and put a nice middle finger up to all his critics (so called liverpool fans included).

Overall: David Bentley. I could of said Jo but to be honest I thought Bentley was an excellent player I even wanted Liverpool to sign him (still would instead of that donkey kuyt on the wing) But he seriously hasnt impressed.

Aye, the last bastion for a man that has ran out of counterpoints.

Go sign more 12m players for whom you have no expectations. That way EVERYONE exceeds your expectations!

Fine, I won't leave it at that...you really don't have a clue about football do you? Do you even watch any or just look up stats online and draw your conclusions from that? Have you failed to realise that Nasri is a midfielder and Keane is a striker and yet Nasri has scored as much as him. £6m is a significant difference in price in terms of the end product of both players. You do realise Keane has played in the Premier League before whereas Nasri hasn't? Nasri is just 21 whereas Keane is 28 so, there is a lot more to come from Nasri and not much more than what we've already seen (while at Spurs) from Keane.

Please, unless you have a decent argument, just crawl back into your cave and stop antagonising people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nicky shorey for the villa

hes been pretty shocking

Fine, I won't leave it at that...you really don't have a clue about football do you? Do you even watch any or just look up stats online and draw your conclusions from that? Have you failed to realise that Nasri is a midfielder and Keane is a striker and yet Nasri has scored as much as him. £6m is a significant difference in price in terms of the end product of both players. You do realise Keane has played in the Premier League before whereas Nasri hasn't? Nasri is just 21 whereas Keane is 28 so, there is a lot more to come from Nasri and not much more than what we've already seen (while at Spurs) from Keane.

Please, unless you have a decent argument, just crawl back into your cave and stop antagonising people!

Ah blindly boasting about Nasri exceeding your expectations? For 12m is 5 goals all you were expecting? I have seen Arsenal play often enough to notice his ability to go missing in games.

Keane has seven goals, Nasri has 5. Nasri has more assists but that is expected for a midfielder. Don't hide behind his age, Keane still had to face coming to a new club as well with brand new teammates and a manager that could drive any player insane.

Now if you want to go around the path of "Nasri contributes so much more than his stats show" route then go right ahead. People have been harking about Keane's workrate for most of the season.

If Keane gets mentioned as a possible candidate for flop of the season then Nasri wouldn't be very far behind. Fact is though, there are any number of better candidates. Jo being an ideal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hleb

Van Der Vaart

Cacares (not his fault though, just lack of playing time)

Flamini

Quaresma

Mancini

Dossena

Deegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ah blindly boasting about Nasri exceeding your expectations? For 12m is 5 goals all you were expecting? I have seen Arsenal play often enough to notice his ability to go missing in games.

Keane has seven goals, Nasri has 5. Nasri has more assists but that is expected for a midfielder. Don't hide behind his age, Keane still had to face coming to a new club as well with brand new teammates and a manager that could drive any player insane.

Now if you want to go around the path of "Nasri contributes so much more than his stats show" route then go right ahead. People have been harking about Keane's workrate for most of the season.

If Keane gets mentioned as a possible candidate for flop of the season then Nasri wouldn't be very far behind. Fact is though, there are any number of better candidates. Jo being an ideal one.

Keane has played in the Premiership for years, he's used to it at this stage.
    Nasri came form Ligue 1, which is a hugely different playing style.
    The fact that Keane cost £6m more, plays as a striker and only has two goals more is laughable if your trying to say Nasri is a flop.

Nasri>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Keane
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Hleb

Flamini

We'll gladly take them back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

My team: Shorey
    Overall: Jo/Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Frisbee wrote: »

We'll gladly take them back....

Sure, give us Van Persie or Clichy though. :pac:

Meh. Two goals against UTD are pretty much clouding your judgements of Nasri.

To proclaim Keane a flop and then argue Nasri doesn't even fall into consideration as a disappointing signing is a bit rich tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    Sure, give us Van Persie or Clichy though. :pac:

Get the boat.
    How about Silvestre and Bendtner?

• Advertisement
Advertisement