Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HARDCORE gaming bb in mind. advice

Options
  • 27-01-2009 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

this is a topic with gaming specially in mind!
    any advice put it in

hello all.right 2009 is here. and things are getting worse.
    im a hardcreo gamer. i play 17+ hours a day. in teams on css/quakeLIVE and cod5/4. i compete at the highest level. and unfortunatly im thihkning of giving my lifestyle up dat i love so much BECOS!,,, i cant get a decent inet connection..u guys are my last hope .my DETAILS

im from tullamore.co offaly. which is in the midlands. a half hour from portlaoise area.
    currently i have a 7meg connection from eircom installed with there phoneline... and i get an avarage 20/30 ping during the day and at nite 600+ ... and at weekend. 700+.
    today i got icecomms installed... during the day i get ...50 with alot of spiking from 50 to 300. and then at nite... 200+dats on ther 4mb gamer package.

im looking for advice on the best bband company at any price!..with GAMING totally in mind..PING RATIO bein a key factor here.
    NOTE I CANT GET upc in my area...so wats your advice...i NEED an avarage of 20-50 ping CONSTANT. even at peak times. upload and dload speed dont mnatter to me..i have 2 routers. a netopia(eircom) and a trendnet router. fopr wireless.(ice)and will be happy to provcide any other details.. im not looking for a list of providers here.. im looking for the mother!. the gaming provider of 2008.. any1 in my area or with any knowledge of my area and bband services. plz help ! any1 with advice about the conections i already have. feel free also..

my ADVICE for ppl in my area..
    for gaming.. stay away from eircom at all costs. and altho ice are better. NOT FOR GAMING!!!...
    so as i get rid of eircom with no contract obligations and i get rid of ice becos its still in 20 day trial period.. whos next on my target list for best gaming provider.(iv also tryd o2 and they were terribad altogehter..as EXPECTED.
    ty for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

breezor wrote: »
    this is a topic with gaming specially in mind!
    any advice put it in

hello all.right 2009 is here. and things are getting worse.
    im a hardcreo gamer. i play 17+ hours a day. in teams on css/quakeLIVE and cod5/4. i compete at the highest level. and unfortunatly im thihkning of giving my lifestyle up dat i love so much BECOS!,,, i cant get a decent inet connection..u guys are my last hope .my DETAILS

im from tullamore.co offaly. which is in the midlands. a half hour from portlaoise area.
    currently i have a 7meg connection from eircom installed with there phoneline... and i get an avarage 20/30 ping during the day and at nite 600+ ... and at weekend. 700+.
    today i got icecomms installed... during the day i get ...50 with alot of spiking from 50 to 300. and then at nite... 200+dats on ther 4mb gamer package.

im looking for advice on the best bband company at any price!..with GAMING totally in mind..PING RATIO bein a key factor here.
    NOTE I CANT GET upc in my area...so wats your advice...i NEED an avarage of 20-50 ping CONSTANT. even at peak times. upload and dload speed dont mnatter to me..i have 2 routers. a netopia(eircom) and a trendnet router. fopr wireless.(ice)and will be happy to provcide any other details.. im not looking for a list of providers here.. im looking for the mother!. the gaming provider of 2008.. any1 in my area or with any knowledge of my area and bband services. plz help ! any1 with advice about the conections i already have. feel free also..

my ADVICE for ppl in my area..
    for gaming.. stay away from eircom at all costs. and altho ice are better. NOT FOR GAMING!!!...
    so as i get rid of eircom with no contract obligations and i get rid of ice becos its still in 20 day trial period.. whos next on my target list for best gaming provider.(iv also tryd o2 and they were terribad altogehter..as EXPECTED.
    ty for reading

Texting abbreviates the brain sir.

Having said your ping could also be high due to your PC as well. I take it that all spyware has been removed? Also, I suffered the same problem for a year. Turned out the Council was upgrading the phone lines throughout my area and so the ping was spiking constantly. You could have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 breezor

also plz note this...
    the area that im in ..
    http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?...=49&region=683

the town im in
    http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=3&country=49&region=683&city=24936

ice are leading providers.

so maybe im doing somethin wrong.?
    any advice on wireless settings for gaming. throw them my way. atm everythin is at default with all firewalls off (i think)
    so wat could make a difference for this,, im in view with the mass..
    new router?...
    opening ALL ports?
    etc.. ANY HELPS IS WELL APPRECIEATED TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.. THE PERSON TO SOLVE IT GETS A BIG SLOPPY KISS FROM MY MAM!!!

and no thats not the prob cos ice is wireless satelite antennas.
    also spyware = removed and registry cleaned.. this is on two different computers.

and its only on peak times. which clues contention. but honestly.. contention shouldnt be killing me like this. i should have 20 ms. and contention should bring it to maybe 70? NOT 300 ! :(

this is at NORMAL hours....

398411430.png

398411845.png

398412213.png

and at peak time

398342154.png
    398206615.png
    my deal is the gaming packagae. details below.
    im a PC gamer.
    http://www.icebroadband.com/dev/content/view/15/37/

so wat u think? fault of my own? i couldnt be happier with the service off peak time. its peak time. and maybe the lag spikes is annoying be i can deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

breezor wrote: »
    any advice on wireless settings for gaming. throw them my way.

You're kidding me right ? You claim to be a "H4RDC0R3" gamer, yet you use a wireless connection ?

Secondly, you say you should be getting a steady 20 ms ping times ? There is no way in hell thats going to happen. Ok, maybe once in a blue moon when the three suns of omicron persei 8 are perfectly alligned with a nort-northwest intersteller breeze. But for all intents and purposes you'll be looking at high 20's at the VERY best. Unless you play on the SMART or Digiweb servers exlusively, otherwise its not going to happen man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Should have went with the owld lower Eircom package, it might have sorted your ping problems somewhat, 7.6meg is nutoriously laggy. Icecomms for gaming?

20ms ping? Wow. All ping times are dependant on distance and your line quality, a ping of 60-80 in most FPS' should be well sufficient and if you cry out for less, well... your just not putting your all into it. Just ask the good folks here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Not really Nick. The OP is right about that one thing. To play at a competitive level online in an FPS you need at least a 20-40 ping constant, without fluctuations.

If you live in the sticks, I would get the 3mb eircom connection which has low interleaving.
    The 7.6mb is stacked with interleaving unless you complain about it, and even then your line may not actually be capable of running 7.6 with the interleaving set to low so you're back to square one.

ICE is a complete no brainer, get it uninstalled. It's probably the worst ISP you could choose for gaming. I can't honestly believe you picked that with gaming in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Could it be possible that the 1Mb package will have better pings due to having the lowest interleave? Not sure how this would work at peak times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

try a different speed test website. That site never gives me correct results !

398549885.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

1) Check if Smart are available in your area, if they are go with them, they have excellent latency and the admins over on the Smart forums will tune your line for best performance for you.

2) If not Smart, check if Magnet is available, but it is unlikely.

3) If you can get UPC, it would be worth trying, but it may or may not be great, depending how many other people have it in your area.

4) Definitely drop from Eircom 7mb to their 3mb product. Eircoms 7mb product has a high ping on purpose (due to high interleaving), so that they can get to 7mb.

The 7mb product is suitable for downloaders, not gamers.

5) Move to somewhere with better options, Smart in particular.

17+ hours, dude, you need to get out more, smell the roses, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Ok he's stated that he can't get UPC & i'd imagine Magnet & probably Smart are also out.

Therefore i'd suggest either Eircom 3mb or BT 3mb. Probably worth checking BT out as they might have less subscribers in your area = less congestion at peak times.

Oh & if you want to lower young ping further ditch the wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

( Pr0 gAYmEr )

If you cant get cable or fibre your stuck with DSL until eircom sort out the portlaois exchange

Digiweb Metro is a possibility, not sure if its available in your area though, usually wireless is pretty crap for gaming, but iv seen excellent ping times/stability on certain metro households.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I would give some advice on which ISP to use as i am a gamer too.

But i'm not going to help someone who sits at a pc for 17 hours a day playing games. Come on, thats way too long. You need to get outside mate.

Maybe not having good internet will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 fran)))

Texting abbreviates the brain sir.

Solid Gold.

At the moment Ireland's broadband situation isn't looking good.
    If you are expecting pings of 20ish you will be pulling your hair out unless you can get magnet. I'm currently amongst the many many gamers suffering from the attrocious eircom latencies. (7 and 3 meg both included on that one) My mate is with ICE and isn't having any fun either.
    If you can get digiweb there might be a chance of fairly good ping. I have a friend on the metro wireless who is gettin pings of around the low 30 mark. Then again - in Ireland it really is going to be luck of the draw for the forseeable future.

Also, like others have pointed out - 17+ hours isn't gonna do you any good. Your brain will eventually just shrivel up and die. Get some air into you.

oatesy my lifestyle is my lifestyle. believe it or not i also have a girlfriend tongue.gif . www.bebo.com/deejaysqueeky just in case u dont believe me tongue.gif

anyway. some1 slated me for (not bein hardcore ) becos i got wireless... m8. i ALSO have dsl . if u 'red' the posts properly.eircom dsl AND ice wireless.
    and neither are doin anything for me. and some1 said som,ething about the wireless router... i have the netopia router m8./ with the aireals plugged out and wireless switched off. but im bein told by many ppl that the router makes absolutly NO difference . for gaming. .. . . so ur suggestions are smart. and digiweb ? .. is that correct ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

breezor and Oatesy23.
    I don't see what hours of game play and bebo or facebook or any of those social networking sites have to do with this topic.

Nobody gives a crap about who's 1337 or any of the crap, if somebody wants to spend 23 hours a day playing the Sims or Wolrd of Warcraft thats their life to use it as they so wish.

No more text speak and stay on topic!
    You have a full keyboard so use it correctly.

If you can get it breezor you should go with Smart..."if" you can get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

ondafly wrote: »
    try a different speed test website. That site never gives me correct results !

398549885.png
    How the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

fran))) wrote: »
    Solid Gold.
    Your brain will eventually just shrivel up and die.
    Living where he's living its only a matter of time

i CAN get digiweb. dsl . or wirelesss? is dsl not on eircoms line ? .. . . . .
    but i CANT get smart. unfortunatly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

nuxxx wrote: »
    ( Pr0 gAYmEr )

If you cant get cable or fibre your stuck with DSL until eircom sort out the portlaois exchange

Digiweb Metro is a possibility, not sure if its available in your area though, usually wireless is pretty crap for gaming, but iv seen excellent ping times/stability on certain metro households.

yes

Majority of Metro masts now have much lower ping than dsl (bitstream).

I'm getting about 55ms to google.ie and 40ms to heanet.ie right now in Limerick on Metro. Off peak times is maybe 30ms

• Advertisement

yes but its ON peak times is my proib. off peak im already gettin 20ms.

i dont beliefve it.. ice wireless broadband is holding its own at 59ms On PEAK . AMAZING.. who,d a thunk it! altho occasionly jumping to 100 its coming down instantly ! thats respectable to keep me goin till eircom pull there stockings up!!!! yay

never mind. spoke to soon,,..

wait its bak!!! sigh madness

cancelled ice and ALL going well work is underway for eircom , and is rumoured to be fixed tonite. so i ll cross myfingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I don't know how you can be happy with a 60 ping if you're playing as competitively as you say you are.

I pissed and moaned for ages until I got my ping down to what it should be, 20-30, on eircom 7.6mb.

The only connections in Ireland that are being eircom are from one of two of the wireless ISP's and you only will get a better ping if you're living seriously close to their mast(s).

NTL/UPC can match the 20-30 of a good eircom line, but they've a tendancy to be erratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you're as serious as you say you are about gaming, I suggest you move out of Ireland.

UK, Netherlands or probably the United States would do. You'll find REAL ISPs there, not the crap that exists in Ireland

Advertisement