Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME ripping off irish consumers

Options
  • 27-01-2009 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I think nearly everyone who games knows of the store GAME but i bet they didnt know that GAME are charging us nearly 50% more than in the UK.

Surely this cannot be legal.

Ill give you an example F.E.A.R 2 is coming out in 3 weeks time and i bet you its gonna cost us irish 60EUR

But in the UK the game costs 30GBP and at the current exchange rate that is equal too 31 euros.

Robbing C**TS

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sleezyandy wrote: »

How exactly could this possibly be in any way, shape, or form be illegal? Don't get me wrong I hate it too but it's not illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sleezyandy

yeah true saying its illigal is a bit much but still if they valued their customers they would hardly do something as ****ty as this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Differing overheads such as rent, rates, taxes, minimum wage in both economies, as well as a higher VAT rate and additional costs in Ireland result in price discrepancies.

At the moment, the discrepancies are more pronounced because of the currently weak sterling.

At the end of the day, different countries, different economies, different costs, different prices. You wouldn't believe how cheap a beer is in south-east Asia, but I don't expect my local publican to match them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sleezyandy

Lets become vigilanties and fix em!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Lets become vigilanties and fix em!!!!

*Grabs pitchford* Yeah burn it to the ground! Somebody light my pitchfork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

1) Grab picket sign
    2) Stand outside of GAME
    3) ????
    4) profit! freeze to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

A brilliant idea would be to buy the game online in that case, instead or ranting and raving on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ill give you an example F.E.A.R 2 is coming out in 3 weeks time and i bet you its gonna cost us irish 60EUR

But in the UK the game costs 30GBP and at the current exchange rate that is equal too 31 euros.
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    A brilliant idea would be to buy the game online in that case, instead or ranting and raving on an internet forum.

I'm actually planning on buying FEAR2 off Play.com tonight, I hear they will have it at my door on the day or the day after release.

If more people did this GAME would lose business and be forced to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Is it odd that i almost feel bad for importing most electronics etc from the UK now? EVERYTHING is so much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i'd say the culture thingy is the problem too!!there are still many people buy it from GAME!!or so i heard gamestop is worse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'm actually planning on buying FEAR2 off Play.com tonight, I hear they will have it at my door on the day or the day after release.

Was gonna do that but they're a lot more expensive than the hut and/or sendit so i'll be avoiding play for this preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have bought all my games from game.co.uk for months now.
    Only 3 sterling delivery to Ireland too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

GAME are charging us nearly 50% more than in the UK.

Robbing C**TS

Isn't that more like almost 100% dearer?

I know there are many factors to take into account, and a direct currency conversion can't be expected, but a lot of things are getting exposed. I had to laugh at a Sky Sports advert on TV for the upcoming WWE Royal Rumble. Its Pay-Per-View, and its along the lines of 15GBP in the UK, but it costs us Irish over 21EUR. Now that is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I think nearly everyone who games knows of the store GAME but i bet they didnt know that GAME are charging us nearly 50% more than in the UK.

Robbing C**TS
    Fizman wrote: »
    Isn't that more like almost 100% dearer?

Yes, almost. And it's also 100% made up.

So aside from thinking the price for everything should be the same in every country, and comparing actual prices against made up prices, using a made up exchange rate, the OP has failed to even do that properly.

Seriously, is this a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

You 'hear' they will have it on your door??

Were you in direct contact with them regarding this? Play.com are pretty bad (from my own experience and from reading several posts on here) when it comes to having games on your doorstep for release day. Be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am glad someone mentioned the differences in rent, VAT, minimum wages and other overheads.

No doubt there is still a discrepency but it is nowhere near what it looks on the face of it.

There are also many examples where firms had bought stock a few months back when the rate was not so favourable to the Euro and simply can't afford to sell them at the new rate (a case of better to sell none than sell 1 at a loss).

PLAY will never have anything at an Irish door at the release date EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Fizman wrote: »
    You 'hear' they will have it on your door??

Were you in direct contact with them regarding this? Play.com are pretty bad (from my own experience and from reading several posts on here) when it comes to having games on your doorstep for release day. Be warned!

I pre-ordered GTA 4 from Play.com and got it over a week after the release date. Given i only saved about a fiver it was'nt really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you live in the UK. Even then I don't think they can deliver on that promise. To Ireland? Absolutely no way. On average, for me, it takes about a week. You get games faster from Canada (videogamesplus.ca) than you do Play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Oh look, The Hut has it for super cheap, whats the delivery time like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Robbing C**TS

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    F.E.A.R 2 is coming out in 3 weeks time; you think you may have guessed what GAME may charge in Ireland. You know what F.E.A.R 2 costs in the UK, although it isn't released yet.
    You're speculating wildly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

yeah true saying its illigal is a bit much but still if they valued their customers they would hardly do something as ****ty as this

But they haven't done it?
    OK, on reflection... troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Some decent prices mentioned; I'll add that Asda has F.E.A.R 2 for a competitive price with free delivery to Ireland. [Link]

Like the others say - don't depend on Play.com for fast delivery. Dunno where offers the fastest delivery - heard shopto.net was good (on message boards) but that might have been a shill (it was a message board :D).
    goodlad wrote: »
    I have bought all my games from game.co.uk for months now.
    Only 3 sterling delivery to Ireland too :D

£3 stg is, pretty much, the most expensive delivery charge I've seen for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Differing overheads such as rent, rates, taxes, minimum wage in both economies, as well as a higher VAT rate and additional costs in Ireland result in price discrepancies.

At the moment, the discrepancies are more pronounced because of the currently weak sterling.

At the end of the day, different countries, different economies, different costs, different prices. You wouldn't believe how cheap a beer is in south-east Asia, but I don't expect my local publican to match them.

I read this excuse a lot on these kind of threads and i am getting a wee bit tired of it.
    For sure there is not much wrong with what you say. rents are probably higher and so are the wages here in IRL
    But back in the time when the exchange rate was £1,00=€1,50 the costs you are talking about were higher in IRL too.
    So why was it that back then i did pay exactly €15 for something that in the UK would cost £10? In other words not a cent more because of higher rent/wages.
    The logic would be that if now £1 = €1,10 i should pay €11 for something that costs 10 in the UK.

No, now all of a sudden i have to pay €13,50 because of higher rent/wages.

I might be overlooking something but... i dont know. it just feels like being ripped off.

Well you just don't understand the economics of the situation. Thats all.

The exchange rate is an anomaly. Forget about that for a moment.

We live in a country with 4m people. The UK market is massively larger. The economies of scale in the UK dictate that firms can sell more at a lower cost.

When the firm makes the move to Ireland it has to put up with higher VAT rates, higher rents, a much higher minimum wage (thats if they only use the minimum wage) and a much smaller market of 4million people. Obviously the company is going to be hard pushed to make a comparable turnover in the same market.

I think people get confused by the access to NI. It is another country, deal with it. Whether you like it or not it is akin to comparing prices to any other part of the UK.

All that being said however, and with all the different extra costs involved in the ROI taken into consideration, prices are still a bit higher down here. Again, just nothing like face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Damnit Genghiz - do you want it cheap or do you want it now? You can't always have both.

Sadly the Noodler makes a lot of sense with the Economies of Scale argument. Though I cant recall if thats what it was called - had something to do with a Home Market somethingsomething.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I was in Game in Northern Ireland this month and the games seemed only marginally cheaper up there. January sales where on both sides of the border so that could of distorted the pricing though.

Granted overheads, wages, vat etc are different but its difficult to see how that accounts for all of such massive differences in prices in general.

its frustrating as well that online shops don't keep up to date with the current exchange rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

noodler wrote: »
    Well you just don't understand the economics of the situation. Thats all.

The exchange rate is an anomaly. Forget about that for a moment.

We live in a country with 4m people. The UK market is massively larger. The economies of scale in the UK dictate that firms can sell more at a lower cost.

When the firm makes the move to Ireland it has to put up with higher VAT rates, higher rents, a much higher minimum wage (thats if they only use the minimum wage) and a much smaller market of 4million people. Obviously the company is going to be hard pushed to make a comparable turnover in the same market.

I think people get confused by the access to NI. It is another country, deal with it. Whether you like it or not it is akin to comparing prices to any other part of the UK.

All that being said however, and with all the different extra costs involved in the ROI taken into consideration, prices are still a bit higher down here. Again, just nothing like face value.

I do know i shouldnt just take the exchange rate in mind.
    Maybe i should have added 1 thing in my post. The fact that i had only the shops in mind that are displaying £ and € on their price tags in the Irish and UK shops.
    My post was more with that than with specifically Game in mind.

I guess you noticed numerous complaints about that fact, shops still displaying tags with £10/€15.
    And for those shops your arguments shouldn't count as i tried to explain in my first post.
    Shops that never used double currency tagging i can not really blame for having me pay more here that in the UK.

I don't see your point?

The shops are British based and can't be arsed making a seperate price tag for their stock so do it that way in order to have stock that can be easily transferred North or South.

The British price is still cheaper for the reasons stated above. Its not meant to reflect the exchange rate.

Furthermore, many businesses bought stock a few months ago at a different rate and can't afford (or are unwilling) to take such huge losses on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this isnt just GAME you know? go look at your other game shops too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Surprised no one has linked to this yet...Forfás published a study at the end of last year comparing the cost of doing business in the North with the cost of doing business in the Republic.

A summary of the report by the Tánaiste:
    while we accept that the cost environment in Ireland is a contributory factor to higher retail prices, it does not explain North-South price differences of the magnitude that continue to exist

Full report - http://www.forfas.ie/publications/2008/title,2623,en.php

Basically, operating costs (VAT, rent, minimum wage etc) do not account for the differences in price.

Advertisement