Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated players

• 27-01-2009 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Who do you think are some of the most underrated players in the PL?

I think Jagielka at Everton is quite underrated, Schwarzer (sp?), Jaskelainin (sp?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Define 'underrated'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Everton back line aside from Lescott
    Darren Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Define 'underrated'.

underrate
    Verb
    B]-rating[/B], [B]-rated[/B to not be aware or take account of the full abilities or potential of

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Darren Fletcher

/thread

[edit/
    snap, Frisbee! :) ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dirk Kuyt and Ji Sung Park are both underrated, if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Steve Sidwell and Stillian Petrov also get honourable mentions

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Bacary Sagna- Every time I've watched him this season he's been quality

Leon Osman- Has he even been capped for england?

Mgoraf wrote: »
    underrate
    Verb
    B]-rating[/B], [B]-rated[/B to not be aware or take account of the full abilities or potential of

I meant in football terms.

As in - "X didn't get any bonus points in the Fantasy Football this week but scored so he's clearly underrated" or "I've watched <insert club> on 10 occassions and every time X has been one of the best players on the park".

There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

I meant in football terms.

As in - "X didn't get any bonus points in the Fantasy Football this week but scored so he's clearly underrated" or "I've watched <insert club> on 10 occassions and every time X has been one of the best players on the park".

There's a difference.

The latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lionel Messi - I know he's being lavished with praise, but its still not enough. :)

Michael Carrick (and i'm a Liverpool fan)
    Scott Parker
    Danny Murphy to an extent. Has done a fine job as Fulham captain this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Fletcher has a good engine and tries hard. No technical ability, but not good enough for United.

I think the most underrated are:

Carlton Cole
    Steed Malbranque
    Nigel Reo Coker
    Wes Brown

...and

Steven Pienaar is criminally underrated.

EDIT:Forgot Samba at Blackburn. He's quality.

Steven Pienaar is criminally underrated.

Aye, agree on this one alright. He's such a hard worker on the pitch.

Well in that case you're looking at players like -

Tony Hibbert
    Leon Osman
    Aaron Hughes
    Sam Ricketts
    Gary Cahill
    Mark Noble
    Sanli Tuncay
    Maynor Figueroa
    Ryan Shawcross
    Boaz Myhill
    Andy Griffin
    Stephen Warnock
    Paul Robinson (WBA)
    Richard Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Carvalho, well, he's much better than Terry IMO, but Terry gets more praise as being teh bestest cb in da wurld, or something.

Well in that case you're looking at players like -

Tony Hibbert

Anthony James Hibbert.
    He is the most no-nonsense full back in the Premiership. I'm almost sure he colours in any coloured parts of his boots with black permanent marker just to make sure he doesn't look like a pansy in front of his mates (all of whom are Dockers)

Carvalho, well, he's much better than Terry IMO, but Terry gets more praise as being teh bestest cb in da wurld, or something.

24ozyhs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Adrian Mutu

Ben Arfa. He's an absolute twat (apparently), but he's potentially world-class. Similar style of player to Ronaldo.

I reckon he will go for massive money very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Ben Arfa. He's an absolute twat (apparently), but he's potentially world-class. Similar style of player to Ronaldo.

I reckon he will go for massive money very soon.

Poor mans Ronaldo imo

Poor mans Ronaldo imo

Ronaldo's and poor mans Ronaldo right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Wayne Bridge. Still sad he left us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

underrated?

tim howard
    phil neville
    mikel arteta
    leon osman
    darren fletcher
    john o shea
    Antonio Valencia
    Denilson
    Paul Robinson (not the GK!)
    Ji Sung Park
    Sanli Tuncay
    Ricardo Carvalho

the reality is this list could go on and on and on as there is really so many players in the league now who dont get the recognition they deserve for one reason or another

now about Ben Arfa, his attitude really stinks, and despite people thinking he would go for (and his club repeatedly saying) at least 35-40million he was sold to Marseille on the cheap, he isnt exactly setting the poor French league alight either so i cant see him going going to one of the big teams anytime soon......seems like a classic example of a player thinking they made it before tey had, not too unlike our own little man, Nani!! although im encouraged by his last couple of games, before he got the knock, seemed to be improving again

sorry to go off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Actually just one for this and thats

Paul Robinson(the goakeeper) magnificent for us this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Dirk Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I know he gets a bit of praise but nowhere near enough. Michael Carrick when he has been playing this season has been the driving force behind united. He just controls the game from the middle of the pitch effortlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Brad Friedel...one of the reasons for Villa's success this season, and maybe one of the reasons why Blackburn are where they are now.

I heard a few people here say Dirk Kuyt :eek:...C'MON...I'm a Pool fan but the lad is no good...he's a square peg in a round hole on the right wing and he can't play up front either...which is what he was bought for in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The majority of these so called underrated players are playing for English Premier League clubs earning a fortune and are well rated by their own fans and others.

Tim Howard - how more highly rated can you get, he's the US first choice keeper?

Tony Hibbert - good tackler, very poor distribution.

etc..,

Someone please mention a real underrated player as I can't think of any but any listed above certainly aren't. I suppose being underrated by the most knowledgeable football fans on the Internet is the key here :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The majority of these so called underrated players are playing for English Premier League clubs earning a fortune and are well rated by their own fans and others.

Tim Howard - how more highly rated can you get, he's the US first choice keeper?

etc..,

Someone please mention a real underrated player as I can't think of any but any listed above certainly aren't. I suppose being underrated by the most knowledgeable football fans on the Internet is the key here :rolleyes:
    Well the one I mentioned above is back to his very best imo, that being Paul Robinson the goalkeeper.

From your own club, a guy I have rated for a long time is Phil Jagielka.

etc..,

Ahhhh my apologies, I should have said 'underrated in Premiership terms' just to be correct for you. Oh look - I can use a rolleyes too - :rolleyes:

Someone like Hibbert IS underrated. He has been playing for a top 6 Premiership club for the past 9 years yet has not received an international call up. The likes of Glen Johnson are on a par with Hibbert yet have gotten caps. That to me means Hibbert is underrated, in international terms at the very, very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Conor McMahon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

etc..,

Just because you hold a different opinion, it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

Carrick for example. Some United fans still think he is nothing more than a water carrier. Some think he is vital to United. Doesn't make the England team and how many opposition fans think he should make the england team?

Fletcher is still an target of hate from some United fans, others think his game has improved massively over the last 2 years and that he has become a very important player in the United squad.

There will always be people who do give credit to players where it is due and do not underrate players - but just because some people do rate a guy, it doesn't mean he isn't underrated by a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SWAR wrote: »
    Brad Friedel...one of the reasons for Villa's success this season, and maybe one of the reasons why Blackburn are where they are now.

I heard a few people here say Dirk Kuyt :eek:...C'MON...I'm a Pool fan but the lad is no good...he's a square peg in a round hole on the right wing and he can't play up front either...which is what he was bought for in the first place.

There's no way that Friedel is underrated. He gets praise all the time and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

etc..,

Someone thinks highly of themself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

etc..,

Je$us, all we wanted was who you thought was underrated. We didn't ask for your life story!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

SWAR wrote: »
    I heard a few people here say Dirk Kuyt :eek:...C'MON...I'm a Pool fan but the lad is no good...he's a square peg in a round hole on the right wing and he can't play up front either...which is what he was bought for in the first place

Underrated are these players that get no mention while they are at a club. As soon as they leave people start to notice what they are missing out on.
    Kuyt will be one of those players.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Underrated are these players that get no mention while they are at a club. As soon as they leave people start to notice what they are missing out on.
    Makalele - underrated massively by the powers at Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As already sais but Pienaar imo is the most underrated in the Premiership, such a hard worker and technically good on the ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

Came across a poll similar to this thread a few days ago.

Leon Osman was the runaway leader.

delspeed78 wrote: »
    Came across a poll similar to this thread a few days ago.

Leon Osman was the runaway leader.

so he loses cause he is massively rated then...

Just because you hold a different opinion, it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

Carrick for example. Some United fans still think he is nothing more than a water carrier. Some think he is vital to United. Doesn't make the England team and how many opposition fans think he should make the england team?

Fletcher is still an target of hate from some United fans, others think his game has improved massively over the last 2 years and that he has become a very important player in the United squad.

There will always be people who do give credit to players where it is due and do not underrate players - but just because some people do rate a guy, it doesn't mean he isn't underrated by a lot of people.
    I don't think you could call any United player underrated, I mean I've heard more about every player in the United squad than you hear about one player in most of the premiership squads, so they've been analysed up and down, forwards and backwards and almost everybody knows and has an opinion on all the regulars in the United squad. Same with Liverpool, Chelseas and Arsenal as well.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think you could call any United player underrated, I mean I've heard more about every player in the United squad than you hear about one player in most of the premiership squads, so they've been analysed up and down, forwards and backwards and almost everybody knows and has an opinion on all the regulars in the United squad. Same with Liverpool, Chelseas and Arsenal as well.

Loads of people discussing a player, and having an opinion on that player is not the same as rating the player, rightly or wrongly. Loads of people discuss John O'Shea and think he is little more than crap, i would still say he is underrated in that he does a brilliant job as a squad and utility player, and that any competing on as many fronts as United do need a player like O'Shea, like Phil Neville was for us too.

Up until last season I would say Flamini was underrated at Arsenal. the job Gilberto did went unnoticed by lots until he lost form.

Loads of people discussing a player, and having an opinion on that player is not the same as rating the player, rightly or wrongly. Loads of people discuss John O'Shea and think he is little more than crap, i would still say he is underrated in that he does a brilliant job as a squad and utility player, and that any competing on as many fronts as United do need a player like O'Shea, like Phil Neville was for us too.

Up until last season I would say Flamini was underrated at Arsenal. the job Gilberto did went unnoticed by lots until he lost form.
    Well I can only speak from a personal point of view I suppose, but I never underrated any of the players you mention above. Nor Michael Carrick for that matter. Although I suppose, I've maintained despite others disagreeing that for me Wayne Rooney was United's best player last season. Anyways thats a whole other argument.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I can only speak from a personal point of view I suppose, but I never underrated any of the players you mention above. Nor Michael Carrick for that matter. Although I suppose, I've maintained despite others disagreeing that for me Wayne Rooney was United's best player last season. Anyways thats a whole other argument.

then you are of the group of fans that do recognise the contribution and importance of certain players, doesn't mean everyone else is though. Think about how many times you may have had an argument over the virtues of players like Phil Neville, Carrick, O'Shea etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

O'Shea is criminally underrated by a lot of people. They dismiss him as crap. If only they thought about it logically. He has played about 300 times for a successful club, and capped 50 times for his country - yeah what a crap player.

I'm going to say Danny Murphy for this topic. Many people think he has been past it since leaving Liverpool, but I've seen Fulham a few times this season, and he has had a very good season, one of the key reasons for them having a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

inforfun wrote: »

Let's agree to disagree...he offers nothing going forward IMO, which is critical for a right winger...or is he a striker...or is he neither! Sure he works hard but that's not enough at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Ji Sung Park
    Sanli Tuncay
    Stephen Warnock
    Tony Hibbert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

as a united fan i think definatley john o'shea, i think he's really good ok brilliant but i think he's a great player to have and if he ever left we would really miss him, he gets an awful doing.. i think kuyt is underrated at liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Underratted FC

Kirkland

-P Neville----Jakeilka---Scharner---O Shea-

-Fletcher
    Bullard---Arteta
    Park-
    Kuyt

Bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If I was thinking about the majority of people on this board and their rating of players, I'd say the following are pretty underrated:

Michael Carrick
    John O'Shea
    Park

Daniel Agger
    Yossi Benayoun

Carvalho (easily the 2nd best defender in the league after Ferdinand, maybe better than him)
    Michael Ballack

Sami Nasri (it seems :))

I would have said Darren Fletcher, but I think people are starting to come around to him.

I'd take Bullard and Arteta out - I think both are massively rated.

Perhaps I massively underrate Bellamy.... don't think so though. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement