Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated players

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Bacary Sagna- Every time I've watched him this season he's been quality

Leon Osman- Has he even been capped for england?
    If he made PFA team of the year, he's not under rated imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Quint wrote: »
    If he made PFA team of the year, he's not under rated imho.

Indeed. Same goes for Friedel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Abdoulaye Faye a solid dependable centre half, Habib Beye also a good right back but some people rate him so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ballack - no way

and Nasri, thats a joke lads he's been very good this season and has got his fair share of plaudits for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Trilla wrote: »
    Underratted FC
    -Fletcher
    Bullard---Arteta
    Park-
    Kuyt

Bellamy

Bullard and Arteta are both very highly rated and I honestly don't know of anyone who doesn't give them the credit they deserve.

Bellamy, I'm somewhat baffled. He averages about 7 goals a season in all competitions. For a top level striker who is 30 thats poor in my opinion. I think his rating is where it should be. No where!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PHB wrote: »
    Michael Carrick
    John O'Shea
    Park
    Well not by me anyways
    Daniel Agger
    Yossi Benayoun
    Both are overrated no underrated imo
    Carvalho (easily the 2nd best defender in the league after Ferdinand, maybe better than him)
    Vidic and Laursen are miles ahead in this category. I think Uniteds record since Rio got injured proves that point, and its not the first time either, I remember them missing him and Gary Neville and somebody else, O'Shea, Silvestre, Brown and Phil Neville had eight games without conceding a goal in the league iirc
    Michael Ballack

Sami Nasri (it seems :))

I would have said Darren Fletcher, but I think people are starting to come around to him.
    Its simple with Ballack, the same as England really, you cannot play Lampard and Ballack in the one side, they negate each other.

Fletcher is not underrated anymore, he was in the past but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fletcher, he's a very good player and most people think he's crap.He's a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

titan18 wrote: »
    Fletcher, he's a very good player and most people think he's crap.He's a legend.

Yeah ok slow down on the sensationalism. Why do people proclaim mediocrity as legendary? Maldini is a legend, Raul is a legend, Scholes is a legend. Darren Fletcher maybe a legend at Cherry Orchard level but certainly not at United! Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

iregk wrote: »
    Yeah ok slow down on the sensationalism. Why do people proclaim mediocrity as legendary? Maldini is a legend, Raul is a legend, Scholes is a legend. Darren Fletcher maybe a legend at Cheery Orchard level but certainly not at United! Come on.

boards, now your nitpickin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Reina.

Barely mentioned when it comes to 'best keeper in Premiership' not to mind 'best in world' debates. Why not? I think he's well up there. Then again, I'm happy enough with this, 'best in the world' and 'future England keeper' tags seem to be a bit of a jinx - cue injury or massive howlers with subsequent loss of confidence and form, e.g. Cech, James, Carson, Kirkland, Robinson etc. etc.

Reina.

Barely mentioned when it comes to 'best keeper in Premiership' not to mind 'best in world' debates. Why not? I think he's well up there. Then again, I'm happy enough with this, 'best in the world' and 'future England keeper' tags seem to be a bit of a jinx - cue injury or massive howlers with subsequent loss of confidence and form, e.g. Cech, James, Carson, Kirkland, Robinson etc. etc.

Remind me how many of them Golden Gloves things he's won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Paul Konchesky. Always liked him, never gets mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Remind me how many of them Golden Gloves things he's won?

Fair enough then, if he's winning awards I should probably not say he's under rated (but that is a most clean sheets award as opposed to a vote for best keeper, but then perhaps he's won some of them as well so I'll shut up:)).

Where I was coming from is more forums like this and TV pundits where praise is piled on to the likes of Cech, VDS and Given, but not as often to Reina.

edit - perhaps I just over rate him - I think he's best in Premiership and right up there with the so called best in the world casillas and buffon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Osman - Everton
    Flech - Man Utd
    Sagna - Arse
    Turner - Hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gary Cahill
    Steve Sidwell
    Emmanuel Pogatetz (dirty f****r i agree though)
    Steed Malbranque

Until very recently Phil Jagielka was fiercely underrated, it's getting better though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jaaskelainen and Friedel are underrated keepers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I think Cattermole is a good player. He always gets stuck in anytime i've seen Wigan play. Scharner must be good too if he can play alongside Titus Bramble and still manage to keep some clean sheets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The unit of Marquez, Puyol, Abidal and Alves...but particularly Marquez.

Royston Drenthe too

don't laugh....

but titus bramble has been a bit of a colossus this season. It ain't all down to scharner i'll tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think Robbie Keane is EXTREMELY underrated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dfx- wrote: »
    The unit of Marquez, Puyol, Abidal and Alves...but particularly Marquez.

Royston Drenthe too

I Love Marquez. Was astonishingly brilliant for Mexico in the last world cup as well, was all over the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Very good call on Marquez. Barca's best defender I reckon, and one of the best in the Liga.

titan18 wrote: »
    Jaaskelainen and Friedel are underrated keepers imo.

Again, i fail to see how they're underrated. They get plaudits all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

SlickRic wrote: »
    don't laugh....

but titus bramble has been a bit of a colossus this season. It ain't all down to scharner i'll tell you that.

Titus has always been a colossus :pac:
    I love the way Giles refers to defensive mistakes as Brambelesque, its 1 of the few names he can actually remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Marquez for sure, he had a terrible season two years ago and injury ruled him out of most of last years. But in 05-06 and now this year he is proving to be one of the best in the world imo. Thorougly underrated.

Gonzalo Higuain has been incredibly underrated this year too, I hear people orgasming over Pato just because he is Brazilian and is the next 'Ronaldo'. But Gonzalo Higuain has 13 goals and 3 assists in 20 games this year, and is only 21.

Gonzalo Rodríguez and Godin for Villareal are both imo underrated. As well as Fernandes for Valencia. I've always liked Gavilan, Mahammdou Diarra, Asenjo, Saldado, and Rodolfo Bodipo.

Finally, I think the most underrated player in all of La Liga (from people outside of Spain) is Freddy Kanoute. I think he is one of the most complete strikers in the world, his first touch, dribbling, strength, finishing, crossing, and all around general footballing intelligence is up there with the best. I think he is a better version of Wayne Rooney, and the only striker in the world in his style that is better is Ibrahimovic. If he could last longer than 3/4 of a season then I think I'd put him up there with Eto'o, Villa, Torres, Ibrahimovic and C.Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

luke young

the chap has been immense for us this season

wouldnt be surprised to see him in the england squad soon

Helix wrote: »
    luke young

There was talk about that in the Guardian today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    Finally, I think the most underrated player in all of La Liga (from people outside of Spain) is Freddy Kanoute. I think he is one of the most complete strikers in the world, his first touch, dribbling, strength, finishing, crossing, and all around general footballing intelligence is up there with the best. I think he is a better version of Wayne Rooney, and the only striker in the world in his style that is better is Ibrahimovic. If he could last longer than 3/4 of a season then I think I'd put him up there with Eto'o, Villa, Torres, Ibrahimovic and C.Ronaldo.

I've always been a big fan of Kanoute. Great player

monkey9 wrote: »
    There was talk about that in the Guardian today

definitely not surprising. hes been an absolute rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

luke young

I think he'll have to start playing in his natural position of RB before he's considered. But he has been our best signing of last summer IMO

Petrov is also an unsung hero, does a job similiar to what Didi Hamann used do at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Nihat, Llorente.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Nihat

Me and my friends love him so much that taking the average ratedness of him on a global scale, he can't be considered overrated. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh, actually I think Wayne Rooney is underrated by most people. For me, he is at the core of United, without him United just aren't anyway near as good, and is imo up there with the best forwards in the world. I think he is by any definition world class. Most people think he's just very good, so I'd put him as underrated.

Oh, actually I think Wayne Rooney is underrated by most people. For me, he is at the core of United, without him United just aren't anyway near as good, and is imo up there with the best forwards in the world. I think he is by any definition world class. Most people think he's just very good, so I'd put him as underrated.

i was waiting for rooney to come up.

he is underrated by the general footballing fan, but also terribly overrated by utd fans imo.

his true worth lies somewhere between the two.

Wasn't there some kind of stat that we hadn't lost when he played?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

eZe^ wrote: »
    Marquez for sure, he had a terrible season two years ago and injury ruled him out of most of last years. But in 05-06 and now this year he is proving to be one of the best in the world imo. Thorougly underrated.

Thoroughly under-rated because of the "They can't defend" pundit affliction, I think. It's almost worthy of a drinking game when it gets mentioned..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Warnock and Nelson at Blackburn.

Richardson at Sunderland

Davies at Bolton

Tuncay at Boro

Park Ji Sung at Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't believe anyone mentioned Tim Cahill of Everton yet. A very impressive strike rate for a midfielder.

Jaaskelinen has been a great goalkeeper in the Premiership over the years without getting much attention.

I think West Ham's Mark Noble is also another good player.

wouldnt have classed cahill as underrated at all

hes very very highly rated from waht i can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

wouldnt have classed cahill as underrated at all

hes very very highly rated from waht i can see

I think he could stand to get a bit more attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

not read any of the thread but Michael Carrick. liverpool fans totally dismiss him but he is a super super player. i think on his game, is united most important player. he pulls the strings and i hope he gets his place on the prem team of the year this year. you dont win 2 leagues and a CL with a bad CM and he has been the main stay with scholes injured alot and hargo and ando rotating.

i wouldnt swap him for any player in his position, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    not read any of the thread but Michael Carrick. liverpool fans totally dismiss him but he is a super super player. i think on his game, is united most important player. he pulls the strings and i hope he gets his place on the prem team of the year this year. you dont win 2 leagues and a CL with a bad CM and he has been the main stay with scholes injured alot and hargo and ando rotating.

i wouldnt swap him for any player in his position, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

my problem with carrick is he doesnt want the ball when closely marked and can disappear out of a game, Scholes on the other hand always wants the ball and is clever enough to elude a marker and still control a game. Carrick cant do that, he can play some great passes but only when given the time he will never be mentioned in the same breath as Scholes Xavi etc:

Carrick is definitely underrated actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Warnock and Nelson at Blackburn.

Richardson at Sunderland

Davies at Bolton

Tuncay at Boro

Park Ji Sung at Man Utd
    I'd have to disagree on Warnock, he has had some horrific games this season, but then again they were all under Ince but still at this stage he needs to prove himself again. He played well last season. And Ryan Nelsen I'd agree with, a bit short on pace but overall a fine denfender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

im split on park to be honest. work rate fantastic but missing final quality. the fact he started both semis last year and missed the 18 man squad in moscow sums up, he can do a job in certain games, but is set up for the counter.

however, have to say, hes been superb lately. and fergie loves him. he has defo done more than sell shirts anyway for sure :)

• Advertisement

luke young

But sure Young already has England caps so he quite clearly is rated at international level.

He may be unsung, but he certainly isn't 'underrated'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But sure Young already has England caps so he quite clearly is rated at international level.

He may be unsung, but he certainly isn't 'underrated'.

I think Xavi is annoyed that the entire Man city squad is over-rated and a flop right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya i agree with Park Si Yung - constantly seems to be slated but always plays the really big matches and does a fine job.

Essentially the most underrated players are players that you only miss them when they are gone eg Carsley,Makelele etc..

Of the current crop Mikel of Chelsea is one that springs to mind.

astrofool wrote: »
    I think Xavi is annoyed that the entire Man city squad is over-rated and a flop right now :)

Really? Like who?

Advertisement