Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Weeks in New Zealand - South to North

Options
  • 27-01-2009 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    So I started a thread here for my trip through Thailand and the advice was class so now I'm starting one for NZ too.
    Me, my girlfriend and a couple we know are planning a trip through NZ at the end of June for roughly 3 weeks.
    We've all ready seen a few campers on apollo that seem pretty reasonable.
    I'm just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for me regarding what to see, what to avoid, what's cheap etc.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

In all honesty, I could take or leave the north island, especially considering it will be winter when you are there - the north island is the better island for beaches in the summer, but if your into skiing Ruapehu is class and Taupo would have a fair few activities that can be done in the winter like jet boating etc...
    As far as driving goes, its mainly flat farmland in the north island

The south island however, is a different kettle of fish altogether! Get the ferry over from wgtn to picton, drive down the west coast, go visit Punakaiki and the pancake rocks, franz josef and fox glacier, Wanaka and Queenstown! Personally from Queenstown I would head back up towards picton to Lake Tekapo, and up on to Christchurch but if you have the time you might want to head down to Invercargill, Dunedin and even Bluff, make sure to stop in Hokitika for the whale watching / dolphin swimming, Blenheim for the vineyards if you have the time and back to Picton!

Just a suggestion obviously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    So I started a thread here for my trip through Thailand and the advice was class so now I'm starting one for NZ too.
    Me, my girlfriend and a couple we know are planning a trip through NZ at the end of June for roughly 3 weeks.
    I'm just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for me regarding what to see, what to avoid, what's cheap etc.
    Gary

I only spent a week in New Zealand and it was just in the North Island I was. Avoid Auckland as there is not that much to do there apart from go up a really high building and look down.

Make sure you go to Rotura as its built on these cracks&steam rises from it all over the place making it smell like rotten eggs. Its a cool place though. Go to the Maori cultural park when you are there as that is cool as well.

When I get money I will go back and do the whole Island, north&south

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Cmol wrote: »
    In all honesty, I could take or leave the north island, especially considering it will be winter when you are there - the north island is the better island for beaches in the summer, but if your into skiing Ruapehu is class and Taupo would have a fair few activities that can be done in the winter like jet boating etc...
    As far as driving goes, its mainly flat farmland in the north island

The south island however, is a different kettle of fish altogether! Get the ferry over from wgtn to picton, drive down the west coast, go visit Punakaiki and the pancake rocks, franz josef and fox glacier, Wanaka and Queenstown! Personally from Queenstown I would head back up towards picton to Lake Tekapo, and up on to Christchurch but if you have the time you might want to head down to Invercargill, Dunedin and even Bluff, make sure to stop in Hokitika for the whale watching / dolphin swimming, Blenheim for the vineyards if you have the time and back to Picton!

Just a suggestion obviously ;)

That sounds class all right. thanks for the info!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In all honesty, I could take or leave the north island, especially considering it will be winter when you are there - the north island is the better island for beaches in the summer, but if your into skiing Ruapehu is class and Taupo

The skiing in both fields on Ruapehu was the best that I found last year on my travels around, although there are more separate ski fields in the South Island and probably more other activities as well.
    The south island however, is a different kettle of fish altogether!
    Agreed.
    Personally from Queenstown I would head back up towards picton to Lake Tekapo

Not agreed. ;)

Stewart Island is possibly worth a visit if you have the time, and the stomach for the passenger ferry across. I think it may have just been a very bad day when I went over.

Te Anau is definitely worth a visit though, glow worm caves, helicopter rides to land on top of a mountain and then take a day trip from there to Milford Sound. You can take trips to Milford from Queenstown instead, but it would be a very, very, very long bus ride and you'd go through Te Anau on the way anyway. Although the road to Milford is perfectly drivable yourself, if the weather is bad it is probably not the best idea in winter, and also in a camper unless you are very sure of how far you can get on a tank it's probably best to use someone else petrol as there is no stations after Te Anau, although the road signs actually claim otherwise. The trip on a cruise ship through the Sound is worth it in any weather though.
    jdscrubs wrote: »
    Avoid Auckland as there is not that much to do there apart from go up a really high building and look down.
    You should have done the jumping off the top of the tall building thing as well. It's the perfect way to wake you up after 30+ hours hanging around in airports and planes.
    jdscrubs wrote: »
    Make sure you go to Rotura as its built on these cracks&steam rises from it all over the place making it smell like rotten eggs. Its a cool place though. Go to the Maori cultural park when you are there as that is cool as well.
    I'd say that Rotorua is definitely worth a visit as well if your able to fit it into your tour. The whole town stinks, but a trip around the thermal springs and one of the cultural evening with the Hangi makes up for the smell.

Here is some pictures form my three weeks doing both islands last year:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spideog/sets/72157606958780461/

Jebus that looks class all right, nice one for the info Robin, think I've somethign to throw into the route planner now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Mst

We started in the North island but haven't been down south yet. Some of the people we met traveling seemed a bit disappointed by the North Island after coming from the South Island, maybe its better to do the North island first.
    Anyway definitely spend a few days in Rotorua, it was our highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Don't know how comfortable it would be to be in a camper van in winter but one way or the other you're definitely better off driving. If it seems like it would be too cold and miserable to sleep in a camper then just get a car instead and stay in hostels.

South Island:
    I didn't really like Queenstown as I found it to be full of boy racers with mullets but there's a lot of 'adventure' activities you can do there. Try to leave with some money!

Wanaka is a nice place and the cinema, Hotel Paradiso, is class. Puzzling World is worth a visit, especially if you get a little bit 'light headed' beforehand!

Go to Milford Sound if you think you can afford the time. Be aware that the weather will almost certainly be totally miserable. The drive is still spectacular in the rain but the view from the village is not. You'd really need to go on one of the cruises to get the most out of the trip.

The west coast is beautiful and the glaciers are worth a visit. Unfortunately, the weather here will also be fairly crap. I went for a guided walk on the Fox glacier which was cool.

The small towns in the northwest of the south island are pretty rubbish (Greymouth and Westport).

Barrytown knifemaking, just north of Greymouth, is a great day. You start from scratch with a piece of steel and forge it into your very own knifey. It's a fun day, the people who run it are sound and it's a nice change from the conveyor belt type activities you find a lot in NZ.

Punakaiaki (sp?) blowholes are pretty cool but only if you go when the sea is very rough. The nearby cavern is well worth a visit too.

Lakes Tekapo and Pukaki are gorgeous and worth a stop. If you're in a camper as you can stay right on lake Pukaki with stunning views of Mt. Cook. Mt Cook village has magnificent views. The DOC campsite there is overlooked by the hanging glaciers of Mt. Sefton and you can hear avalanches thundering down the slopes. These areas are also supposed to be the best place in the southern hemisphere to view the night sky.

I liked Christchurch but if you only have three weeks I'm not sure it's worth a stop.

Kaikoura, on the east coast, is definitely worth going to. Whale watching is big business here but I thought most of the activities were very overpriced. $140 for the whale watching itself! I'd also recommend the Penninsula Walkway if it's a nice day - easy walk, beautiful coastal scenery with lots of seals and a huge colony of noisy seagulls.

North Island:
    The Tongariro Alpine Crossing was possibly the best thing I did in NZ. It's a tough hike over spectacular volcanic terrain with steaming hills, emerald lakes etc. In winter though I think it would be a different proposition altogether. If you could take a guided walk and get stuck in with your crampons I think it would be well worth it.

Lake Taupo is one of the cheapest places to go skydiving in the world. It's an absolute must. Try to be first to jump out of the plane as you get the best views as you fly up.

Rotorua is class. Loads and loads to do and lots of steaming lakes and boiling mud. Also a good place to go trout fishing if you're into that.

I didn't like Auckland at all but probably didn't make enough of an effort to see the place.

Enjoy, NZ is a great country.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭niborm

Don't know how comfortable it would be to be in a camper van in winter but one way or the other you're definitely better off driving. If it seems like it would be too cold and miserable to sleep in a camper then just get a car instead and stay in hostels.

Having been there twice, once in a camper van, and once in a car staying in hostels, I would go for the latter every time - it's just a much nicer way to see the country. Also, the hostels in NZ are of a very high standard, and good value, especially if you compare them to the absolute sh1tholes on offer in Australia.

Outside of that, I'd recommend pretty much everything breadmonkey said and would add a couple of other things...

I thought the Otago peninsula was beautiful and further south, the Caitlins NP is god for walks and wildlife.

If you like surfing, go to Raglan on the north island. It's a stunning spot, even if you can't be bothered to surf, it's hypnotic watching the huge surf and top class surfers here. Only about 2 hours from here to Auckland airport, and so much nicer than that grim, grim city. Possibly being a bit harsh here, but the city centre is awful - I have heard the immediate suburbs around the centre are a lot nicer and offer good food.

This is great stuff lads, I reckon Lonely planet should get worried (mental note)

We might just get a camper van for heading around the south Island, we sometimes end up having hassle booking hostels and cancelling them if we want to stay somewhere for longer etc.

We also run: http://pmic.us/ so we have to be pretty careful about the hostels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It admitedly wasn't the middle of winter when I was there last year, but I had no problems with the warmth in the camper van during my trip. There are loads of campers hired out all year round though, so you'll find them well equiped for all weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

Hey Guys, reading this thread and some good advice. I'm heading to NZ in a couple of weeks myself and was wondering about camper van's - We were thinking of doing the south island in a campervan and busing it around the north, think this is a good idea?
    Also, do you get better walk in prices on the camper van's or better to book in advance?
    Thanks.

dsender wrote: »
    Hey Guys, reading this thread and some good advice. I'm heading to NZ in a couple of weeks myself and was wondering about camper van's - We were thinking of doing the south island in a campervan and busing it around the north, think this is a good idea?
    Also, do you get better walk in prices on the camper van's or better to book in advance?
    Thanks.

Any reason you want to do campervan and bus? I don't really see any real advantage or disadvantage in doing both besides the organisation. I would definitely recommend driving yourself as it gives you maximum flexibility and you can see stuff and go places that aren't possible with the buses. Either campervan or car/hostel, as mentioned previously.

I don't think you get a better rate for booking in advance. I don't know if you've looked into prices or what your budget is but you should be aware that renting a camper van is pricey enough, especially some of the bigger models. Additionally, you'll have to pay more for a decent insurance policy so don't forget to take that into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 harveykane

June should be off-season for the campers, so the prices should be a little more reasonable than normal.

I live in Auckland and I wouldn't bother coming here. It's just another city, and everything unique that New Zealand has to offer isn't in Auckland.

Getting a camper between islands isn't likely to be cheap, so check the pricing before you leave. Some rental companies let you pick up a camper in (say) Auckland, and drop it off in (say) Christchurch. Assuming your international flight arrives / leaves from Auckland, you will probably find it's cheaper to pick up your vehicle in Auckland, drop off your vehicle in Christchurch and fly back to Auckland.

The roads in the South Island are better - they have less traffic, and seem to be straighter and easier to drive.

The west coast of the South Island is really nice. Stay in Hokitika, then drive down the coast and check out the glaciers. Unfortunately, my memories of these as a kid were quite different to what I saw on my last visit - global warming is very real folks.
    Queenstown has lots to do, but only if you are rich. Everything costs money. It's beautiful and all, but if you want beautiful without all the expense, try Wanaka instead. The boat trips in the sounds are also worth doing, and I would also recommend the Lake Manapouri power station trip. Doing a fishing charter is a fun thing to do - these shouldn't be too hard to find, and we have always been spectacularly successful when you are with someone who knows the spots.

Also horse treks are a good way to enjoy the countryside. Not too pricey compared with the 'adventure' activities, and some of the places you go on horseback are spectacular.

Make sure you stop and enjoy some of the local produce on the way - that's part of the fun. If you feel like a thrill, try driving your camper to the Chard farm vineyard in Queenstown (I have seen people do it). There are some great orchards, cheese shops, delis and vineyards as you drive around the country, so make these part of your visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    Gary

Christ, fair play to you for being able to do this in the current economic environment. Thailand and now New Zealand.

For us with mortgages and families, this year will be about holding on to our jobs and if possible avoiding any more pay cuts so the old tent is coming out again.

Enjoy it because after you have kids, unless you are very secure, it wont be happening to often again I would say.

jimd2 wrote: »
    Christ, fair play to you for being able to do this in the current economic environment. Thailand and now New Zealand.

For us with mortgages and families, this year will be about holding on to our jobs and if possible avoiding any more pay cuts so the old tent is coming out again.

Enjoy it because after you have kids, unless you are very secure, it wont be happening to often again I would say.

eh, thanks for that....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

Lads, do ya reckon a toilet/shower is a necessity in the campervans?
    Any advice on what campervan to go for, do you need all the add-ons etc.
    We're a couple mid-twenties and will be renting for 3 weeks, thanks.

I had a toilet/ shower in my van, but it was never used except for if there was an urgent need to spend a penny when miles away from civilisation. If your staying in holiday parks every night then you'll find all of the facilities on site much better than what you'd have in the van. But if you plan on staing in any DoC sites at all, or just stopping on the side of some back road out of the way at all then you will be needing the in van facilities.

Buy getting a van with the toilet/ shower combo you will more likely be looking at slightly more space internally than one without though. It was a Jucy Chaser that I had for my trip.

dsender wrote: »
    Lads, do ya reckon a toilet/shower is a necessity in the campervans?
    Any advice on what campervan to go for, do you need all the add-ons etc.
    We're a couple mid-twenties and will be renting for 3 weeks, thanks.

As robinph said, it depends where you plan on sleeping at night. We were staying in random places pretty much every night and managed to get by without a shower or toilet! So not a necessity but will definitely make your life easier! If you're going to stay in campsites then I'd say just get a basic van.

I have to say though, I don't really see the point in a campervan if you're going to pay for accommodation every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

hi
    i spent 3 months travelling NZ and it still wasnt enough..depending on how long you plan to be there for, i would definetly recommnend to take a trip on the milford sound..it is just breathtaking down there. you can do an overnight cruise on it.. well worth the money. definetly go to queenstown and take a spin out to glenorchy(about half hour outside queenstown) OMG... that is all il say!!! :)

i didnt really like christchurch alot...its a good place to base yourself for a few days and then take smaller trips out to different places near by.there is just not a huge lot to see there...if the weather is good you should go up to the abel tasman national park and go kayaking on it. that is at top part of south island. well worth a visit!

if you venture to the north island you must MUST visit the coramandel peninsula and catherdral cove in particular. it is just stunning up there.. crystal clear water,white sandy beaches.. you get the drift!! again,preferrably if the weather is sunny!!!

i would give auckland and wellington a miss...again not a huge lot to see.. a city is a city at the end of the day.. no real caracther really.

things to do:
    a skydive with video is a must!! best places to do it is either in queenstown or lake taupo in north island. think its cheapest up there.

do the zorb ball in rotorua(halarious)

bungy in taupo

cruise on milford sound

quad bike riding in nelson up the mountains

anyways sorry about my spelling. its all over the place. im sure you will have a brill time what ever you do. new zealand is just one of those places that will stay with you for a long long time. hope my info was helpful
    have a great time :)

I have to say though, I don't really see the point in a campervan if you're going to pay for accommodation every night.

I think it can still work out slightly cheaper having a van than doing a car+motel'ish type option. But the biggest advantage of the van is that you never have to worry about packing the bags until your about to leave the country, and if you do find yourself somewhere unexpected or unable to find a bed for the night then you've already got a bed in the back anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement