Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official: LoI supporters are real fans

• 27-01-2009 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

LoI supporters have officially won the Soccer forum's long-running debate as to who are real football supporters, and who are not.
    The FAI, in preparing to launch loi.ie, describes League of Ireland football as 'REAL FOOTBALL' with 'REAL FANS'.
    rfrfdx7.png

The hard-won recognition from the sport's Irish governing body settles at last the long-running and sometimes heated dispute among boards.ie posters as to who is the 'most football' -- dedicated, match-going fans on the one hand, or barstooling Barclays Premiership dilettantes on the other.
    It is expected that the latter group will be vociferous in their objections to the FAI verdict. Informed observers say that already they are preparing a strategy based on claiming generations of family tradition of exclusively supporting British mainland clubs, or, alternatively, saying that they don't care what the FAI thinks.
    Asked to comment on the development, Boys in Green manager Giovanni Trapattoni turned to his assistant and said: 'What is this word loey?'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am humbled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Official: SectionF makes the same bland topic everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The downside of this is no LoI fan believes a word that the FAI ever says. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unearthly wrote: »

Ronaldo.

Kaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it might hold a bit of weight if it wasn't coming from the most incompetent organisation known to man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ntlbell wrote: »
    it might hold a bit of weight if it wasn't coming from the most incompetent organisation known to man

fás??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

stovelid wrote: »
    Ronaldo.

Kaka.

Just thank your lucky stars it isn't only about Ronaldo, bit of diversity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nice to see the FAI growing a pair of balls of late. Maybe someone in there reads the interweb and has finally grasped the mood of Irish football fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Trilla wrote: »
    fás??

I think FAS do an excellent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

LoI is many things, but it is never bland. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If the FAI are calling me a real fan, then I must at this point declare myself a fake fan.

fúck you fai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Points for effort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

SectionF wrote: »
    LoI supporters....

Stopped reading

The FAI, in preparing to launch loi.ie, describes League of Ireland football as 'REAL FOOTBALL' with 'REAL FANS'.

So which tabloid will run the story "Exclusive:FAI insults arseholes who dress up in leprechaun outfits and go to half a dozen games a year"? ;)

The LOI would really need to think about changing the domain name that's displayed when you click through the enter link, wouldn't they? :)

The LOI would really need to think about changing the domain name that's displayed when you click through the enter link, wouldn't they? :)

incompetent arseholes.

Presumably they will change it when the new website launches on March 2nd.

Des wrote: »
    incompetent arseholes.

Des loves Sunderland, FAI, Celtic and marmite.

Er, I think that's the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I thought Eircom weren't renewing their sponsorship? They'll have to change the domain name when it runs out. I really hate eircom. Putting your name everywhere sometimes isn't good for a company. I think every Ireland fan is fairly unhappy about their name on the "replica" jerseys.

• Advertisement

reported.
    Quint wrote: »
    I think every Ireland fan is fairly unhappy about their name on the "replica" jerseys.

not every Ireland fan ;)

Des wrote: »
    reported.

:(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Quint wrote: »
    I thought Eircom weren't renewing their sponsorship? They'll have to change the domain name when it runs out. I really hate eircom. Putting your name everywhere sometimes isn't good for a company. I think every Ireland fan is fairly unhappy about their name on the "replica" jerseys.

They're renewing it but to a lower extent afaik, they don't have the naming rights. Instead this season the League is comprised of several sponsors e.g. Newtalk, Umbro, Eircom and not sure of the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Marmite? News to me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think "real football, real fans" is a very ill-advised slogan.

Its likely to be more divisive amongst LOI and non-LOI fans rather than attracting new fans to the league (which should be the goal).

I think its interesting on here that you get LOI fans versus so called barstoolers stating their cases so vehemently and basically attacking and belittling each other a lot of the time. Why is it like that? We are all here because we love football and most of us (accept a small minority of closed minded people on both side) would love the LOI to succeed and be well supported and of high quality.

Like it or not the first step to attracting new fans to the league is improving its image amongst non-loi fans. Slogans insinuating if your not a LOI fan your not a real football fan are not only ridiculous, they are quite frankly off putting.

Babybing wrote: »
    Like it or not the first step to attracting new fans to the league is improving its image amongst non-loi fans.

Don't agree.

The only way forward is to make it attractive for kids, or parents bringing kids. The future fans. Maybe at a push to try and bring lapsed fans back into the fold.

Barring a situation where a local club does a sustained Rosenborg, there is very little chance of bringing life-long EPL/SPL fans to the LOI, no matter how much they claim that they stay away because only the bold league and its fans are mean to them.

You do get the odd convert, but fans have built life-long links and history with another league, and that's that. Factor in the Irish phenomenon where it's not accepted to simultaneously get behind your local, but like a foreign glamour, team, and I see little chance of anything changing, even if most fans would welcome converts to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hahaha thats gas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

To be honest, the only person who would support a LOI team constantly has the right to be called a real football fan. Some people just don't get what "real" means anymore:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

To be honest, the only person who would support a LOI team constantly has the right to be called a real football fan. Some people just don't get what "real" means anymore:rolleyes:

What if someone follows Real Madrid? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What if someone follows Real Madrid? :confused:

not allowed, only Fake Madrid fans, Real Madrid fans support LOI

Nice poppy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We didn't need a website to confirm that fact. LOI is going to be better next season folks so lets all support GUFC

I think "real football, real fans" is a very ill-advised slogan.

Its likely to be more divisive amongst LOI and non-LOI fans rather than attracting new fans to the league (which should be the goal).

I think its interesting on here that you get LOI fans versus so called barstoolers stating their cases so vehemently and basically attacking and belittling each other a lot of the time. Why is it like that? We are all here because we love football and most of us (accept a small minority of closed minded people on both side) would love the LOI to succeed and be well supported and of high quality.

Like it or not the first step to attracting new fans to the league is improving its image amongst non-loi fans. Slogans insinuating if your not a LOI fan your not a real football fan are not only ridiculous, they are quite frankly off putting.

Well I never thought football fans were quite that sensitive. They don't make them like they used to!

I think it all hinges on the word 'real', and its literal meaning. It actually says nothing about EPL fans, except in the context of this forum's ongoing debate, wherein anything positive that's said about Irish football is interpreted as a slur.

Real here means just that... actually happening in real life. It happens to be the LoI's unique selling point.

It's true that mistaking television for real life is a common complaint these, but LoI and its fans are hardly to take the blame for that.

Don't agree.

The only way forward is to make it attractive for kids, or parents bringing kids. The future fans. Maybe at a push to try and bring lapsed fans back into the fold.

Barring a situation where a local club does a sustained Rosenborg, there is very little chance of bringing life-long EPL/SPL fans to the LOI, no matter how much they claim that they stay away because only the bold league and its fans are mean to them.

You do get the odd convert, but fans have built life-long links and history with another league, and that's that. Factor in the Irish phenomenon where it's not accepted to simultaneously get behind your local, but like a foreign glamour, team, and I see little chance of anything changing, even if most fans would welcome converts to games.

Oh dont get me wrong, I agree that targeting younger fans is a must and is the only way forward. A massive push is needed here. Professional players should get involved in initiatives in schools by making appearances or doing mini training sessions with the kids, free tickets should be given on a larger scale and admission prices for kids need to be cut. Also they could run a league for young players at half time during games giving local schoolchildren a chance to play at the games. but raising the leagues profile amongst non fans is all part of that.

I also think you wrong on the "Irish phenomenon" issue. Its simply human nature that you want to see things performed at the highest level. Its only natural people will take interest in the English game given the huge sums of money, the fact most of the international team play there and the average quality of the player. People like the English game is completely fair and understandable imo. As for simultaneously supporting a LOI team...I dont think the majority have a problem with that. The issue with people is the quality of product on offer and, rightly or wrongly,most people now see the League in an negative light.

This is unfortunate, but until it is acknowledged and something is done about that it will feed through to future generations and the League will always struggle.

Bottom line is, for me what the FAI need to do is:

-Get players more involved in school initiatives
    -Organise short schoolboy 5-a-side games at half time
    -Give greater concessions to school children
    -Aggressively promote a family friendly image for the league
    -Promote the league as a viable alternative to a trip to the cinema or a night in the pub. At the end of the day, people go to football for entertainment.

• Advertisement

Well I never thought football fans were quite that sensitive. They don't make them like they used to!

I think it all hinges on the word 'real', and its literal meaning. It actually says nothing about EPL fans, except in the context of this forum's ongoing debate, wherein anything positive that's said about Irish football is interpreted as a slur.

Real here means just that... actually happening in real life. It happens to be the LoI's unique selling point.

It's true that mistaking television for real life is a common complaint these, but LoI and its fans are hardly to take the blame for that.

Dont go on the defensive SectionF. Im not being sensitive. I couldnt care less,from a personal point of view, if their new slogan was "Babybing is a barstooler and a fake football fan, come to LOI". It just so happens I would genuinely love to see this country have a a League with high quality football, healthy clubs and packed stadiums.

Id love to see that. The only point I was making is that this slogan is not the best way to achieve that imo. OK, we can debate semantics all night, but a lot of people will interpret it the way I did and that cant help the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

-Get players more involved in school initiatives
    -Organise short schoolboy 5-a-side games at half time
    -Give greater concessions to school children
    -Aggressively promote a family friendly image for the league
    -Promote the league as a viable alternative to a trip to the cinema or a night in the pub. At the end of the day, people go to football for entertainment.

I know Pats do that every week :confused: and nearly sure Bohs and Rovers do most if not all that every week and a bit more.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I know Pats do that every week :confused: and nearly sure Bohs and Rovers do most if not all that every week and a bit more.

Do what every week?

Its been a while since I've been to Richmond but I have never seen schoolboys at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Real football real fans. Simply bull**** that statement. Are they real fans cos they decide to settle and watch a lower quality standard of Football. Are they real fans cos they go watch some 35 yr old brickie still tryin to live his dream and truly believes he'll get the call from Fergie for the Cup Final.

LoI is crap simple as, so to refer to the majority of people who dont follow it as not real football fans is insulting and to be honest ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Iang87 wrote: »
    Real football real fans. Simply bull**** that statement. Are they real fans cos they decide to settle and watch a lower quality standard of Football. Are they real fans cos they go watch some 35 yr old brickie still tryin to live his dream and truly believes he'll get the call from Fergie for the Cup Final.

LoI is crap simple as, so to refer to the majority of people who dont follow it as not real football fans is insulting and to be honest ridiculous

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Someone better hire Alicia Silverstone cause you're clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It won't get any better if people are talking it down and putting people off going to the matches. This league is truly ****ed if we keep this snobby "Irish Clubs Are ****e" attitude up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

DSB wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Someone better hire Alicia Silverstone cause you're clueless.

care to explain please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Do what every week?

Its been a while since I've been to Richmond but I have never seen schoolboys at half time.

All of the list above, my son missed a sitter playing for John Bosco vs Verona end of last season :( Every week theres a game on between schoolboy teams.
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2775
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2732

Clarke and Fahey were in his school a few times last season. Pats covered most schools in inchicore ballyer and clondalkin.
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2781
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2758

Kids free with paying adults is the norm for most EL clubs.

Grannies in for free last season in Richmond, family tickets reasonably priced. This season Junior Saints being done again.

Our ads in main and local papers and the community newsletter delivered free to most homes in the area.
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2793 << decent newsletter tbh

I know bohs and rovers do similiar

care to explain please?

I thought you'd never ask. They're real fans because they actually decide to go watch that 'lower standard of football'. They're real fans regardless of whether the 35 year old that plays for their team believes he'll 'get the call from Fergie for the Cup Final', I don't even see how that is relevant.

It isn't quite simple as, that LOI is crap. Please don't make statements of fact that aren't the case. Real fans go watch football.

I'm aware you've tried to come in and be humorous with your brickie remarks but unfortunately you've come across like the lad in 6th year still at the back making fart noises.

care to explain please?

I agree with you Ian that the slogan is ridiculous but I think you were overly harsh on the league.

The standard, while not great, is certainly better than a lot of people would think! The game is a lot faster than you would expect and you do get some genuinely good games and great moments of individual skill. These players are not as bad as is often made out!

There is also something nice about live football. Even if the standard is not great its nice to be right close up to the action and seeing the game live.

The league still has a lot of problems though that cant be glossed over and I certainly dont think it does enough to endear itself to outside football fans.

There definitely exists and us versus them mentality imo, and with slogans like "real football, real fans", that will only be perpetuated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

LOI fans who proclaim themselves better than everyone else = inverse snobbery.

A good way to drive even more people away from an already unattractive package is to berate the people you are trying to attract.

Well done you. :rolleyes:

LoI is shocking to watch. Would rather watch Mass on rte on a sunday morning

Do what every week?

Cant remember the last Rovers game that didnt have schoolboys at halftime.

Rovers do all of the stuff you mention and much more. Ive detailed it here before if you want to search.

Its great that you say you want the league "with high quality football, healthy clubs and packed stadiums", but if until Irish people become football fans in the traditional sense its not going to happen.
    Iang87 wrote:

:rolleyes:

They are real fans because they attend the football matches of their local clubs week in, week out, just like real fans do all over the world, regardless of how their team is doing, or what level they are currently playing at.

Insulting? Suggesting that gob****es who have never been to Manchester who sit in their local wearing a Man Utd shirt every Sunday have anything in common with real football fans is absurd. Thats an insult to real football fans everywhere. Premiership Paddy encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern football. And most of them dont even know it.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    LoI is shocking to watch. Would rather watch Mass on rte on a sunday morning

This thread isn't actually about the standard of the LoI, but top marks for effort.

"Football is nothing without Fans" - Jock Stein
    Good point Jock

• Advertisement
Advertisement