Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official: LoI supporters are real fans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

dreamers75 wrote: »
    All of the list above, my son missed a sitter playing for John Bosco vs Verona end of last season :( Every week theres a game on between schoolboy teams.
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2775
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2732

Clarke and Fahey were in his school a few times last season. Pats covered most schools in inchicore ballyer and clondalkin.
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2781
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2758

Kids free with paying adults is the norm for most EL clubs.

Grannies in for free last season in Richmond, family tickets reasonably priced. This season Junior Saints being done again.

Our ads in main and local papers and the community newsletter delivered free to most homes in the area.
    http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2793 << decent newsletter tbh

I know bohs and rovers do similiar

Well, its good to hear that is happening and I definitely think it will improve attendances in future if the clubs are truly committed to it and its done on a wide scale.

Are free tickets given to school children at all? I definitely think that needs to be done. If a stadium is only 20-25% full free tickets could be of huge benefit...and would definitely encourage parents to bring kids to games and pay for themselves.

I think these sorts of initiatives should have been given priority years ago and I still think the league suffers from an image problem amongst the general football fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Babybing wrote: »
    Well, its good to hear that is happening and I definitely think it will improve attendances in future if the clubs are truly committed to it and its done on a wide scale.

Are free tickets given to school children at all? I definitely think that needs to be done. If a stadium is only 20-25% full free tickets could be of huge benefit...and would definitely encourage parents to bring kids to games and pay for themselves.

I think these sorts of initiatives should have been given priority years ago and I still think the league suffers from an image problem amongst the general football fan.

BB, no disrespect -- I think that you are genuine in your views -- but I suggest that you take a quick trawl around some LoI sites and explore some of the initiatives that are taking place, in particular those from community promotion officers (e.g. http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/off-the-pitch/calling-all-junior-gypsies.htm).
    Almost all of the avenues you suggest have been strenuously pursued, within the limited resources available, but there is a deeply ingrained resistance to actual football that I think all clubs are finding is very difficult to overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

DSB wrote: »
    I thought you'd never ask. They're real fans because they actually decide to go watch that 'lower standard of football'. They're real fans regardless of whether the 35 year old that plays for their team believes he'll 'get the call from Fergie for the Cup Final', I don't even see how that is relevant.

It isn't quite simple as, that LOI is crap. Please don't make statements of fact that aren't the case. Real fans go watch football.

I'm aware you've tried to come in and be humorous with your brickie remarks but unfortunately you've come across like the lad in 6th year still at the back making fart noises.

I wasn't trying to be humoruous i was unfortunately for you being blatantly honest. I wont make statments that LoI is crap if you dont make statements as real fans go watch football. That is rubbish there are plenty of people who dont go to matches cos they simply cant afford watch their side play in England week in week out. So to argue that point is absolutely ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Babybing wrote: »

Would you not just go to games instead of harping on about how the league can attract more people etc.?

Iang87 wrote: »
    here are plenty of people who dont go to matches cos they simply cant afford watch their side play in England week in week out.

Always the most hilarious point. I take it back, you are funny after all.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Insulting? Suggesting that gob****es who have never been to Manchester who sit in their local wearing a Man Utd shirt every Sunday have anything in common with real football fans is absurd. Thats an insult to real football fans everywhere. Premiership Paddy encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern football. And most of them dont even know it.

Ok CiaranC thats rubbish you cant argue that point its just wrong. people have follwed those teams for years and probably have more passion for them than your ''Real" fans. Premiership paddy is everything thats wrong with modern football, thats up there as one of the most ridiculous things i've seen since i read about the Real Football Real fans things its simply wrong. Its just wrong so could you please not quote me in case people actually see my name next to yours and think i agree with that ridiculous point

Always the most hilarious point. I take it back, you are funny after all.
    See thats reference to my point that some peoples only team are their team in england. Turns out LoI fans are idiots too as well as stuck up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Was standing in the local chipper when i got home from a rovers game one night scarf around the neck. Some old howya in his 50's (guessing) started asking me if I'm watching the game tomorrow. Not knowing what he was talking about he then started to discuss football. Anyway long story short this chap was a Liverpool fan and came out with this gem that pretty much encapsulates a lot of what LOI fans hate about the prem followers over here:

"Sure why do ye bother watchin dem (rovers he ment)? Der not even in the champyens league!"

Now before I get attacked I'm not saying he is symbolic of every premiership follower in this country, sure I like chelsea myself but but when I asked him does he get over to anfield often he had only ever been to one Liverpool game. The game in question? A pre season friendly, early 90's against Bohs I think he said it was in Dublin.

See thats reference to my point that some peoples only team are their team in england. Turns out LoI fans are idiots too as well as stuck up

How exactly is it 'their team'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Guys, Don't troll. You'll get banned or infracted.

Don't feed the trolls either. Report the post and don't reply. If you reply and it starts a flamewar, you'll likely get infracted too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ahhh so its one of those threads.

i dunno wat to say on this matter as there has been 50 million threads of this type before. i think we had it somewhat settled not too long ago. pity that is no longer the case

How exactly is it 'their team'?

cos its the team they've supported for years doesn't matter where they're from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ok CiaranC thats rubbish you cant argue that point its just wrong. people have follwed those teams for years and probably have more passion for them than your ''Real" fans. Premiership paddy is everything thats wrong with modern football, thats up there as one of the most ridiculous things i've seen since i read about the Real Football Real fans things its simply wrong.
    How is a person, with no family or local connection to a club, who has never even been to the clubs city, who comes from a different country, who commits no time or money beyond buying a replica shirt in any way comparable to someone who is a member, a season ticket holder, a volunteer or a weekly attendee of a football club from their area?

Its nothing to do with the LoI. Plastics, daytrippers and the prawn sandwich brigades from the likes of Ireland and Asia are ruining football.

If it pleases and sparkles, lets keep discussion on the merits of the FAI's campaign and the league of ireland website and NOT start a fight about who loves their club more.

If we go that route, we'll just close the thread. If people try and get the thread closed, they'll be threadspoiling and that doesn't sparkle with me.

OK?

Sunshine! :)

GuanYin wrote: »
    If it pleases and sparkles

:D

i think there should be a rule where we HAVE to add this to the start and end of all posts

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    :D

i think there should be a rule where we HAVE to add this to the start and end of all posts

I don't think that would sparkle with everyone :(

anyway, lets get back on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If it pleases and sparkles, lets keep discussion on the merits of the FAI's campaign and the league of ireland website and NOT start a fight about who loves their club more.

If we go that route, we'll just close the thread. If people try and get the thread closed, they'll be threadspoiling and that doesn't sparkle with me.

OK?

You've been watching South Park have'nt you?:D

I think a lot of LOI clubs have been making more effort to get involved in the local community.

Cork City have a family section in the stadium where smoking is not allowed and some supporters with drums and horns are in the section to encourage the kids to chant along with the crowd.

The ball boys are usually from local teams. And the players often visit schools, hospitals etc in the area.

I imagine a lot of the other LOI clubs are doing similar things so i don't think LOI can be criticized for effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Fick all this ****e, unless we return to the winter season us here in Longford are always going to be going up against the Muck Spreading and silage season..

:D;)

You've been watching South Park have'nt you?:D
    I'm just being nicer in my moderation!
    I think a lot of LOI clubs have been making more effort to get involved in the local community.

Cork City have a family section in the stadium where smoking is not allowed and some supporters with drums and horns are in the section to encourage the kids to chant along with the crowd.

The ball boys are usually from local teams. And the players often visit schools, hospitals etc in the area.

I imagine a lot of the other LOI clubs are doing similar things so i don't think LOI can be criticized for effort.

That is what worked for us. Our MLS games are really marketed as family days out and if you go to an MLS game, you'll notice a pretty young crowd.

We sacrifice the atmosphere of the EPL and Serie A for this, but I think the average MLS attendance was about 20K last year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fick all this ****e, unless we return to the winter season us here in Longford are always going to be going up against the Muck Spreading and silage season..

it's always fúcking winter in the Flansiro.

• Advertisement

We're all trying to be nice and sparkly (love it) and that's great. I want to be nice and sparkly too.

But I'm sorry. Not I, nor the mods, nor the soccer forum by democratic consensus, nor boards.ie, not even the entire interweb (well, maybe the entire interweb) can change the meaning of the word real.

And you can't even blame the FAI for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SectionF wrote: »
    And you can't even blame the FAI for that.

Ah, can we not try though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm just being nicer in my moderation!

That is what worked for us. Our MLS games are really marketed as family days out and if you go to an MLS game, you'll notice a pretty young crowd.

We sacrifice the atmosphere of the EPL and Serie A for this, but I think the average MLS attendance was about 20K last year. :)

Who do you support in the MLS, GY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jazzy wrote: »
    ahhh so its one of those threads.

i dunno wat to say on this matter as there has been 50 million threads of this type before. i think we had it somewhat settled not too long ago. pity that is no longer the case

The LOI debate goes round and round, round and round, round and round; The LOI debate goes round and round...

Since I joined this forum, I don't think anyone who has vociferously argued either side has ever converted to the other. Nothing changes for all that hot air. Why can't people enjoy the football they enjoy and get on with it? :confused:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The LOI debate goes round and round, round and round, round and round; The LOI debate goes round and round...

Since I joined this forum, I don't think anyone who has vociferously argued either side has ever converted to the other. Nothing changes for all that hot air. Why can't people enjoy the football they enjoy and get on with it? :confused:
    Its the winter break. We have to do something to amuse ourselves.

Is Trilla not a convert from the demonic ways of the multi-billion conglomerate of Manchester to the demonic ways of the multi-million euro debt of Phibsboro?

See. These discussions don't go round and round. They end up in economics and accountancy. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Alright lads which one of you wrote in to F365?! :pac:

Link
    Irish: More Gay It Seems
    Bob in Birmingham makes some valid points regarding the wearing of a replica shirt. I do own a selection of nice international strips collected from bargain baskets around the world. The only time I ever wear my jerseys is when I'm actually playing five-a-side with my mates. As an Irishman, I find it deeply disturbing when I watch a match in the pub to find it full of w**kers in English soccer jerseys, mostly Liverpool I should add. Irish Liverpool fans wear their jerseys religiously typically with Torres or Gerrard on the back. What p***es me off the most is that they wouldnt be seen dead in their local soccer ground spending fifteen quid to watch a League of Ireland game on the basis that Irish soccer is s**t and boring. Now Liverpool may not be **** but they about as exciting as waiting for a bus.

The question I ask my fellow Irishmen and readers of the F365 mailbox is 'why do you wear the jersey of a team that comes from another city that has nothing to do with you?' Please do not confuse this with why you support the team.
    Tomas [I saw a grown man wearing a Ma Yoo jersey with Nani on the back yesterday] Cork, Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

To be honest, the only person who would support a LOI team constantly has the right to be called a real football fan. Some people just don't get what "real" means anymore:rolleyes:

I'll let you 'real' fans in on a little secret. It makes absolutely no difference to anyone but yourselves when you go to a football match. It's all about your satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Alright lads which one of you wrote in to F365?!

Well my name aint Tomas and I aint from Cork so I'm in the clear :)

It does always amuse me the 'i hate loi because its broing' comment yet they will watch Liverpool in the prem. Watching Liverpool is like having teeth pulled. Id say in the past few years I've watched about 4 or 5 crap La Liga games on Sky. The rest have been great stuff. In the same period I've seen probably 4 or 5 actual good games of the Premiership. The rest is dire.

• Advertisement

I'll let you 'real' fans in on a little secret. It makes absolutely no difference to anyone but yourselves when you go to a football match. It's all about your satisfaction.
    Uh, it makes a difference to fellow fans and the gate receipts if we go.

It makes a difference to the development of the game, Jimmy. You get satisfaction out of it, but you also put something in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

from the bottom up...

Fake (supports English team)

Real (supports LOI team, goes to games)

Really Real (supports LOI team, goes to games, stands in 'the Shed')

Really Really Real (supports LOT team, stands in 'the Shed', goes to home and away games)

Really Really Really Real (as RRR but has also been supporting this team for longer than anyone else, is a local etc. etc.)

Each level looks down with derision on the Level below. And if Liverpool or Man Utd. collapsed and 50,000 started turning up to a LOI game, you know the (original) real fans would complain how it's not the same anymore. :)

from the bottom up...

Fake (supports English team)

Real (supports LOI team, goes to games)

Really Real (supports LOI team, goes to games, stands in 'the Shed')

Really Really Real (supports LOT team, stands in 'the Shed', goes to home and away games)

Really Really Really Real (as RRR but has also been supporting this team for longer than anyone else, is a local etc. etc.)

Each level looks down with derision on the Level below. And if Liverpool or Man Utd. collapsed and 50,000 started turning up to a LOI game, you know the (original) real fans would complain how it's not the same anymore. :)

Nice job. :D But just real will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Alright lads which one of you wrote in to F365?! :pac:

Link

I remember when Pats played Celtic (uefa cup about 8 years ago?), all the celtic fans from dublin were supporting Celtic! The irony, they support celtic because they think they're irish, but they fail to see they actually cheered a British team against an Irish team from their home town!

Quint wrote: »
    I remember when Pats played Celtic (uefa cup about 8 years ago?), all the celtic fans from dublin were supporting Celtic! The irony, they support celtic because they think they're irish, but they fail to see they actually cheered a British team against an Irish team from their home town!

Not as bad as the **** who supported Helsingborg against Drogheda because some player who used to play for Celtic was playing for Helsingborg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I was in with the Helsingborg fans in the shed for that match:D
    Only cos of a mix up with tickets, I supported the drogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Can I just point out I support Liverpool and have little interest in the LOI.

It makes me wonder how some people argue that "liverpool fans watch liverpool play boring football" yet theyl quite happily slag of the LOI.

From the age of about 4 I was Given a Liverpool Jersey. This lead to me becoming a devoted Liverpool fan.So how can people come on here and tell me " oh you barstooler go out support your local club.

To be honest I cant just switch teams. I love Liverpool, I wil always support them even if they go from 3rd in the premiership into league 2 I will always follow them.

True fans dont/cant just switch teams. The ones that do annoy me, are the fans that say "yeah I supported Leeds a few years ago but now I support Chelsea" sort of thing.

For me i will always support Liverpool.They are my team, I dont feel bad that they play in England and I hardly ever get to go to live games. Money aint so easy to come by all the time!

Support who you support and leave it at that. And ya know if I had been given a Galway united jersey when I was 4...Id be the exact same with them.

The snobbery of the LOI brigade is pure ignorance to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

joe123 wrote: »
    Can I just point out I support Liverpool and have little interest in the LOI.

It makes me wonder how some people argue that "liverpool fans watch liverpool play boring football" yet theyl quite happily slag of the LOI.

From the age of about 4 I was Given a Liverpool Jersey. This lead to me becoming a devoted Liverpool fan.So how can people come on here and tell me " oh you barstooler go out support your local club.

To be honest I cant just switch teams. I love Liverpool, I wil always support them even if they go from 3rd in the premiership into league 2 I will always follow them.

True fans dont/cant just switch teams. The ones that do annoy me, are the fans that say "yeah I supported Leeds a few years ago but now I support Chelsea" sort of thing.

For me i will always support Liverpool.They are my team, I dont feel bad that they play in England and I hardly ever get to go to live games. Money aint so easy to come by all the time!

Support who you support and leave it at that. And ya know if I had been given a Galway united jersey when I was 4...Id be the exact same with them.

The snobbery of the LOI brigade is pure ignorance to be honest.

"True fans don't change teams", you mean true fans actually go to games.;)

Care to expand on your "devote Liverpool fan" fan comment? I'd define devote being a fan who volunteers, goes to as many matches as possible to them, season ticket holder, etc... the usual things fans do from all other countries in this world well bar the majority of the Irish "fans" and a large portion of Asian "fans".

Is this how the cool kids pick they're teams "Oh thanks Aunty for the Liverpool jersey, I must support them now":rolleyes: A jersey doesn't make who you support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Support who yee want, its a choice.

But the football at your doorstep is dying and its sad

yawn yawn FCUKING yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Trilla wrote: »

+1

And another example today of it on it's knees, Drogheda in the High Court getting out of examinership.:(

Trilla wrote: »

Why is it 'sad'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Why is it 'sad'?

Because the country is apparently full of patriotic football fans who couldnt care less about their own country.

There was a cringeworthy scene in a terrible Bobby Sands film there a while ago, new guy gets sent to the prison, all the republicans want to know is the latest footie results from the mainland.

bohsman wrote: »
    Because the country is apparently full of patriotic football fans who couldnt care less about their own country.

There was a cringeworthy scene in a terrible Bobby Sands film there a while ago, new guy gets sent to the prison, all the republicans want to know is the latest footie results from the mainland.
    Supporting a domestic professional league != general patriotic fervor.

I can never really understand why it would be such a shame for the game here to scale back to semi - pro / amateur. Professional football in this country might be dying a slow and painful death. So what. Football will always be played here in some form or another.

I can never really understand why it would be such a shame for the game here to scale back to semi - pro / amateur.

Who says it would?

We certainly can't sustain fulltime anyway.

• Advertisement

I can never really understand why it would be such a shame for the game here to scale back to semi - pro / amateur.

Its a big enough country with enough football fans to be at a far higher level than it is.

bohsman wrote: »
    enough football fans

Wrong, the reason the league is on it's knees is because there aren't enough football fans in this country.

Enough people claiming to be football fans I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why is it 'sad'?

:rolleyes:

Des wrote: »
    Wrong, the reason the league is on it's knees is because there aren't enough football fans in this country.

thus asking the question "what is a football fan" eh?

a bunch of ppl sitting at home watching a game on sky and feeling good about themselves or a bunch of ppl down at their local team feeling good about themselves.

football, when being watched is essentially entertainment. entertainment evolves and changes are made. the weak is cut out and the strong survive.
    why arent any animated films actually animated in the old ways anymore? because everyone likes the cgi ones better

it was sad when the dodo died, but alas the poor creature barely stood a chance.

feel better about it all you want and proclaim to be better fans and whatnot, whatever gives you the buzz. isnt that why we are all watching, discussing and analysing football in the first place? the buzz?
    and if thats true, why lord it over ppl that they arent having as much fun or being as entertained as you are? searching for a different type of buzz i imagine.

its all quite simple really, individuals like to feel better then the ppl next to them. utd fans ragging on liverpool fans and vica versa and LoI heads ragging on "Prawn sandwich eating barstoolers who support Oireland and have a soft spot for Sunderland cos of Quinner & co."

where ever u get your jollies.

ever had a prawn sandwich? they are actually pretty tasty

• Advertisement
Advertisement