Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse collection

• 27-01-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any opinions on Mr Binman or Clean Ireland Recycling? I am moving into a house in Limerick City and need to choose a refuse collection service. I have seen lots of negative things about Mr Binman but not much on the others. Any info welcome.

Cheers,
    Tom

Which refuse service do you use? 102 votes

Mr Binman
    0% 0 votes
    Clean Ireland Recycling
    45% 46 votes
    Other (please specify in a post)
    54% 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No probs with CleanIRL... good service.

However since I live alone, I only need to dump rubbish about once ever 6 weeks, so each collection is costing me about €40. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

There will be four of us in the house so we will have a bit more rubbish that you!

I have emailed both providers for details of their costs as not much is given away on the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Any place ive lived in Limerick the rubbish collection was always sorted by the Landlord/Agency.

Can i still vote? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I'm with Clean IRL and i've never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

Clean irl were cheaper than mr binman. (switched just before Christmas) starting looking when missus rand querying weight charge to mr binman and got the "like it or lump it" attitude from Mr binman. Clean irl are ok, bit of confusion for first couple of weeks but ok now. Clean Irl has two bins - one recycling and one rubbish, put them out alternate weeks. Mr binman had one waste bin and plastic bags for recycling, put both out each week. Neither take glass for recycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

lyencoli wrote: »
    Neither take glass for recycling

Clean Irl give you a plastic box for glass, which i think they pick up every 4-6 weeks.

They also gave us this big heavy duty bag that can hold a tonne of garden waste which they will pick up for a small fee.

Overall a much better service than Mr. Binman

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

i got the big bag, but i didn't get any plastic box from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

its an open top crate, just got the timetable for this years collections in the post, I keep forgetting about the glass collection though and its built up.

+1 for Clean IRL though, great service, cheaper, doesnt break for bank holidays, and they'll take glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

I use Clean Irl too and they give a great service. On more than one occasion I forgot to roll the bin to end of the drive and the lads still collected it. From past experience I know that there is no way Mr Binman would do that

Thanks everyone - I think I'll be goign with Clean Ireland Recycling

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I'm with Mr BinMan. I've never had problems. they're fine. they go by weight as well so if you pay for about 6 months in advance, and sometimes the bin isn't full, this adds up and you can use your bin away until they tell you stop. I got an extra 2 months. handy out. I don't think you'll have issues unless you make issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Just a tip for cleanIrl Customers ....
    Always put your Wet waste bin out every time it is due, even if it not full.
    My cleanIrl charges increased in the last bill so I called em about it.
    The nice lady on the phone told me that the bill is calculated by taking an average of the 5 heaviest Wet Waste bin lifts.
    This was bad news for me because sometimes I didnt bother putting the Wet Waste bin out on the kerb as the bin wasnt full, so when I did put the bin out
    2 weeks later it would have been a heavy lift.
    I presumed that the bill would have been calculated from a total of all wet waste lifts but I was wrong. :(
    Maybe they should have made this clearer or maybe it was in the small print somewhere ...
    in fairness to 'em the lads still collected Wet waste once when I forgot to roll the bin to kerb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nikkiec

Hi, I got some clarity after a call to the Clean Irl offices - how they actually calculate your bill is that the weigh all the lifts and they divide by 13 - this is cos you are due 13 lifts of your refuse bin in 6 months. So a heavy weight will counter a light one - does that make sense? they do weigh your recycling bin but they don't charge you for that weight - I have 3 kids and lots of recycling so they gave me an addition free bin for my recycling which I thought was pretty good!! Definitely working out cheaper for me than Binman - feel I'm doing a bit more for the environment too which can't be bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Wait till u hear this….clean Ireland do this service that hardly anyone takes up, u rent the bin for 25 euro a year, then they collect it every 2 weeks and u buy a reclyling bag, only 7 euros, fill it, put it in the bin and they collect it. So its 25 a year and 7 euros a fortnight, and if u don’t have a bag full, keep it till the next time….so u may only use one bag a month etc……….its perfect!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

I switched from mr binman at the start of this year, did 6 months, next 6 was €70 cheaper than the first. Y ou have to put out the wet bin every time its due to make it cheap even if its empty, hated the mess of the bags with mr binman, dogs always went at them now nice and clean with clean Irl:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mr. Binman makes people parade their recycling rubbish for all to see in see through plastic bags???

- Mr. Moloney on our road goes through 25 Goodfellas extra thin base Pepperoni Pizzas a week and thats just the tip of the Iceberg - Plus you should see his bank statements when you're out walking the dog.....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TimeonmyHands

I was initally with Mr. Binman....didn't have any problems with them but Clean Recycle Ireland are cheaper. They collect glass and have recently given out an extra bin for Food Waste which is fantastic. I have on occasion forgotten to put my bin out and the lads from Clean Recycle Ireland have brought it out for me, like an earlier poster said.
    I would recommend CRI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Clean Ireland all the way. I have been using them for over a year now. The only time i had a problem was when we first moved in. New estate and we were the first to move in on our section.

I guess no one updated the driver because the bin wasn't collected on the first day. Rang them up and the had a guy some out especially the following day to pick it up.

Great service and a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Switched over to clean Ireland last month. No probs at all and are cheaper. Mr Binman wanted E200 for 6 months for a small bin which got (at most) 2 bags of rubbish a week.
    Apparantly Mr Binman had people out in Westbury and Caherconlish knocking on doors offering reduced rates to people if they switched back to their service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Switched from Clean Irl to Mr Binman only last week. Their 9 months service for 145 euro was too good to beat. Even if I only stay with them for 9 months it'll be worth it.

Anything to save a few bob.

My average 6 month weight usage is within the Mr. Binman limits so it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

My wife signed up to Mr. Binman approx 4 weeks ago (and paid in full ... I think it was something like €140 for 6 months of collections, and 2 bins provided, one for waste, the other for recycling). The problem is that 4 weeks later we are still waiting to receive our bins and so haven't been able to put out any rubbish.

I've called Mr Binman each week to complain and each week they've told me that due to the numbers of people who have signed up for this apparently new offer there was a delay in getting the quantity of bins required, but each time I've been told that I should have it by the end of that current week, and to just put my rubbish out in a black bin liner in the meantime and they will collect it. This is not an option for me though as any bags of rubbish I leave out would be torn all over the road by the local dogs by the time the bin trucks would arrive.

So my advice, if Clean Ireland is an option in your area (unfortunately it's not where I live) then go with them every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Any Neighbourhood who are due a Mr. Binman collection looks like absolute shít on that day

- Really noticed this today (Tues.) in Raheen/Dooradoyle, every second house with two or three manky see-through bins bags full of refuse, there must have been a hundred of them splayed all over some roads - not a pretty sight......

If Mr. Binman lived up to his name and actually introduced an actual 'Mr.Bin' for recycling waste then I'd go with who ever is cheapest.

- Glad to see that Mr. Binman is running scared though - its great for keeping prices low/driving them down......

P.S. Nah - Prob. would stay with Clean IRL - Apparently Mr. Binman treats his Workers like rubbish - the rich Cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

I was with Clean Ireland but switched to Tommy Cassidy as Clean Ireland missed me a couple of times even though I had the bin out = they said that they had a new driver. Previous to this I thought that they were brilliant and recommended them to everyone. However I rang up when I was missed and was told to put the bin out on the Saturday and it would be collected but of course it wasn't so I was left twice with a month's worth of bin outside the house and with three kids - two in nappies this was not too pleasant. Anyway Tommy Cassidy comes every week and collects both types of rubbish so we are finding it a much better service and the price is about the same.

Who is this Cassidy guy? Never heard of him which would concern me - he could be just some fly by night who will take your money and run!!! Do you get a free glass service and the compost bins? I find the new compost bin great - can't believe how little now goes into my rubbish bin. Thought the bin would be a bit small at the start but when I started watching what was going in I realised I was wasting soooo much food...ended up with a cheaper food bill too which is a bonus!!!!

AlanD wrote: »
    Switched from Clean Irl to Mr Binman only last week. Their 9 months service for 145 euro was too good to beat. Even if I only stay with them for 9 months it'll be worth it.

Anything to save a few bob.

My average 6 month weight usage is within the Mr. Binman limits so it works out.

My mate switched over too and she is already being charged for the recycling bags at €3.50 each!!! She was used to recycling way more because she had the recycling bin with Clean Irl. She is fuming and has already contacted Clean Irl about switching back. She didn't get any compost bin either!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ab4248

Am with Whites 063 84061. Good service. Bin instead of recycling bags which is great. No weight charges. Cheaper than anyone else I priced.

ab4248 wrote: »
    Am with Whites 063 84061. Good service. Bin instead of recycling bags which is great. No weight charges. Cheaper than anyone else I priced.

And would you be Mr White himself??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Don't forget to take into consideration the days that they actually collect in your area.

Around here it's a monday - bad idea for us - lots of Bank Holiday Monday's - normally collected on the Saturday prior - so if you're going away for the weekend - that means that you won't have any collection for 2 weeks unless your neighbours are kind enough to put it out and bring it back in for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Any one heard of southwest bins? Got a flyer in the door, 100e for first 6 months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ab4248

[HTML]And would you be Mr White himself??!![/HTML]
    No and Im a Ms not a Mr even:p

Advertisement