Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for an IRC server?

• 27-01-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I like to setup my own IRC server. Would anyone have a good recommendation?
    My setup us Ubuntu 8.10 server, so an easy to manage text based interface would be best.

This is what I get when I try to install ircd:

>sudo aptitude install ircd
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states... Done
    "ircd" is a virtual package provided by:
    oftc-hybrid ircd-ratbox ircd-ircu ircd-hybrid inspircd
    You must choose one to install.

So of those five, which one is the best? Or is there something else out there.
    I expect low traffic on the IRC server.

Thanks ahead for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

ircd-hybrid is what I've been using for a while. EFNet used to run it (not sure if they still do) and they were a massive network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

read the manpages online, get a feel for what it's capabilities are, how it's configured, how complicated or easy it will be to manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Thanks for your comments, I installed hybrid and am going to dive into the man pages :)

Advertisement