Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just killed vista's boot file with windows 7

• 27-01-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I hope someone here can help, cause im up s**t creek!

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 on a new partition (O:) on my main HDD. All was well, and I was greeted with my three boot options on startup:

Windows 7
    Windows Vista
    Ubuntu 8.10

All was working no problem, until the missus decided she didnt like having to select windows vista to get at her files. i went into bcdedit, and did

displayorder {current} {legacy} {ntdlr}

Operation completed successfully, and did a restart. On restart, I was greeted with

Ubuntu 8.10
    Windows 7
    Ubuntu 8.10

Now I have a problem. I have no way of getting back into vista to correct the problem. I can boot into windows 7 no problem, and run bcdedit. However, this version isn't seeing the vista install, and is calling windows 7 the default, and only seeing ubuntu. I think this is because windows is automatically assigning my O: partition as C: in windows 7.

I tried using the recovery disk to no avail, it just would not restore the boot file to allow me into vista again.

Does anybody have any ideas?
    (I know, I should have backed up the original file....hindsight eh!)

I only need to be able to boot back into vista, I can add the other os's back into bcdedit myself.

Thanks,
    Ken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Try EasyBCD it should do the trick and fix the vista bootloader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tried that software from windows 7, but it could not see the original vista partition. Is there any way to run it from command?

Ken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you go into Disk Management and change the W7 c:/ drive to something else will that allow you to see the vista install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

I had a similar problem, though with xp. Download vista boot pro (VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe) and install it in Windows 7. With it you can manually add other Operatiing systems by just putting in the drive path. e.g. c:\ or d:\ etc.

Advertisement