Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of Cafes in Waterford

• 27-01-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

There was a time when there were a few cafes in Waterford that opened late: Luna, Global Village and Sizzlers (24hr?) to name three. Now there are none.

Yesterday I discovered that Summatra have brought back their weeknight hours from 7pm to 5.30pm, and with that, join a list of cafes that 9-5 workers can only patronise at the weekend. :mad: The alternatives now are really pubs and Bistros: Geoffs, the Bistro, Brasserie (until 7pm most nights) and Harlequin (thank god), or hotels like the Tower, etc., where you can at least get a coffee and/or food.

I'm sure Summatra weren't making a killing 5.30pm to 7pm, but they always looked like they were going to close at any minute after half five, which I think didn't help them one iota with customers. If other cities and smaller towns -- and Waterford in the past -- is anything to go by, there IS money in late opening cafes in Waterford. Maybe it's not the easiest time to make money, and maybe you have to build the business a bit, but there is money to be made, and I really wish somebody would go to the bother.

I also think that this pervading mood of gloom and doom emanating from taxi drivers and city centre businesses -- since before the downturn -- only makes things worse. It's foreigners, like the two Italian lads in Harlequin, and some Polish/Eastern European lads/lasses (e.g. shops, cake shop on the quay), that seem to be doing the most for the city centre, businesswise, at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cafe setup in Waterford is desperate, doubt it'll improve for anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I really doubt that such a place is viable. Have you seen the city past 6pm? It's pretty much desolate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

There's a massive market for a Harlequins with couches on the Dunmore road. Moody with late opening hours, wine licence, different coffees, tapas, baskets of gougons with dips, salads, trendy....

Anyone got 80k that I can have til Christmas? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missmagic

I'm sure Summatra weren't making a killing 5.30pm to 7pm, but they always looked like they were going to close at any minute after half five, which I think didn't help them one iota with customers
    Yeah not sure what it is about Summatra but i never feel at ease there yet Cafe Lucia (much the same menu) is tiny, cramped but has a great feel about it. Plus the staff are friendly and even appear to be happy!!!
    A nice little winebar with nibbles, tapas etc would do nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

AdMMM wrote: »
    I really doubt that such a place is viable. Have you seen the city past 6pm? It's pretty much desolate!

I live in the city centre and I can tell you there are plenty of people about. But if everywhere is closed, what are they going to do? There are 10,000 people living in the city centre, living in fairly close quarters, all within walking distance of the main streets. That's more than live in many Irish county towns, even if you forget about everyone living in the suburbs or out of town.

Also, as I said, there have been places in the past, and new places like Harlequin -- on Stephen st. of all places -- are doing well. If you build a good business you will have customers. I don't care how bad the economic circumstances, there is money to be made, because there's nobody else opening late at the moment, with the partial exception of Harlequin. It's also worth pointing out that there are a large number of restaurants open in the city centre, some of them quite new, if there's a market for the restaurants, then there's almost certainly a market for cafes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Lattetude on Michael St is lovely. Was there today. Don't know what time it opens 'til though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

merlante wrote: »
    There was a time when there were a few cafes in Waterford that opened late: Luna, Global Village and Sizzlers (24hr?) to name three. Now there are none.

Yesterday I discovered that Summatra have brought back their weeknight hours from 7pm to 5.30pm, and with that, join a list of cafes that 9-5 workers can only patronise at the weekend. :mad: The alternatives now are really pubs and Bistros: Geoffs, the Bistro, Brasserie (until 7pm most nights) and Harlequin (thank god), or hotels like the Tower, etc., where you can at least get a coffee and/or food.

I'm sure Summatra weren't making a killing 5.30pm to 7pm, but they always looked like they were going to close at any minute after half five, which I think didn't help them one iota with customers. If other cities and smaller towns -- and Waterford in the past -- is anything to go by, there IS money in late opening cafes in Waterford. Maybe it's not the easiest time to make money, and maybe you have to build the business a bit, but there is money to be made, and I really wish somebody would go to the bother.

I also think that this pervading mood of gloom and doom emanating from taxi drivers and city centre businesses -- since before the downturn -- only makes things worse. It's foreigners, like the two Italian lads in Harlequin, and some Polish/Eastern European lads/lasses (e.g. shops, cake shop on the quay), that seem to be doing the most for the city centre, businesswise, at the moment.

Sizzlers was great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

benifa wrote: »
    Lattetude on Michael St is lovely. Was there today. Don't know what time it opens 'til though.

Wish I didn't have to work... :(

Closes before I get home anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I absolutely love Lattetude - especially as myself and my best friend are both boring and order the same thing each time, so all the staff remember what we like and have it on the counter by the time we get there. Loves that :)

As for after 6pm - Geoffs, Harlequins and Bodega ftw :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Bit cramped though isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The Granary is really nice as well. Good coffee.
    Not open late though.

Advertisement