Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Nokia E65 users - HELP!!!

• 27-01-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'm really hoping someone here can help me.

So was getting into bed last night - took my phone (Nokia E65) outta my pocket and the screen was in sh*te :eek: absolute, pure and utter sh*te :(:(

Problem is all my phone numbers are stored on the phone and i have absolutely no way of seeing the screen to copy them all onto the SIM card. Is there anyone here that can help?? Has anyone got the Nokia E65 that could tell me the sequence to press that would copy my phone numbers from phone memory to SIM!!

There are some excellent photos on it too that i want as well :(

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if no one else can help i can do it later when i get home because i have one in a drawer (two actually but that's beside the point :))

another thing you could do is plug it into your computer and do a backup with the pc suite. the sim can only hold 250 numbers anyway and only in the format name,number so if you have any more info it'll be stored weirdly, e.g. if you have a name john with both home and mobile, on the sim it'll be:
    john 011234567
    john1 0851234567

when you're plugging it in remember that you have to select pc suite mode and not data transfer and if you sim has a pin, put it in another phone and deactivate it first to avoid that hassle

edit: and then look at www.zyb.com and never have this problem again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I hope you haven't customised the menu order. :)

jmccrohan wrote: »

iirc the e65 has a button for getting directly into the contacts so that shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if no one else can help i can do it later when i get home because i have one in a drawer (two actually but that's beside the point :))

another thing you could do is plug it into your computer and do a backup with the pc suite. the sim can only hold 250 numbers anyway and only in the format name,number so if you have any more info it'll be stored weirdly, e.g. if you have a name john with both home and mobile, on the sim it'll be:
    john 011234567
    john1 0851234567

when you're plugging it in remember that you have to select pc suite mode and not data transfer and if you sim has a pin, put it in another phone and deactivate it first to avoid that hassle

I wouldnt mind but i was talking about backing up my numbers last week?!! Well f*ck it anyway. Could you please please help - that'd be great. The menu isnt customised.

So god only knows where the data cable is for the phone but if i find it this evening what'll i do?? I have the SIM in another phone at the minute -NUMBERLESS :mad: but i can take the PIN off the SIM but how do i change pc suite mode and not data transfer?? I cant do that on another phone - it'd have to be the E65 right?? Or can i select it when it appears on the computer screen?? (total novice - can you tell?!!)

Doesnt really bother me about the phone - its a balls having to get another but what is p!ssing me off more is possibly losing my numbers and photos and videos.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Wouldnt of known how to!!

VERY confusing phone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you take the phone to your nearest repair center they should be able to replace the screen (probably about €30+) without erasing any of your stuff.......good phone it's worth fixing....
    Just make sure you tell them you want the screen replaced and nothing else touched...

• Advertisement

Sam is there any site like zyb that will allow you to get the contacts form a 6310i, zyb don't seem to support it....
    Nokia PC Suite only?

If you take the phone to your nearest repair center they should be able to replace the screen (probably about €30+) without erasing any of your stuff.......good phone it's worth fixing....
    Just make sure you tell them you want the screen replaced and nothing else touched...

I prob will do that but i want my phone numbers asap.

Sam is there any site like zyb that will allow you to get the contacts form a 6310i, zyb don't seem to support it....
    Nokia PC Suite only?

don't know of any site or even if the 6310i supports that kind of synching. once it's synchronised with the pc suite you can synchronise that with outlook and which is compatible with most things

dlambirl wrote: »
    So god only knows where the data cable is for the phone but if i find it this evening what'll i do?? I have the SIM in another phone at the minute -NUMBERLESS :mad: but i can take the PIN off the SIM but how do i change pc suite mode and not data transfer?? I cant do that on another phone - it'd have to be the E65 right?? Or can i select it when it appears on the computer screen?? (total novice - can you tell?!!)

the sim would be blank, the e65 doesn't store anything on it.

firstly you should make sure the pc suite is installed. when you plug the phone in a message pops up on the screen asking you to choose either pc suite mode or data transfer mode. since you've never done it before it'll almost certainly default to pc suite mode so if you just press enter the drivers should start installing.

if it shows up on the system as a removable drive and you can't use it in the pc suite then do safely remove hardware to remove it, plug it in again and instead of just pressing enter, press up then enter. keep doing that until it works. try pressing down too if up doesn't work

once you get that working you should be able to copy all of your files off and your contacts. and most of your pics are probably on the memory card anyway which can be removed

the sim would be blank, the e65 doesn't store anything on it.

firstly you should make sure the pc suite is installed. when you plug the phone in a message pops up on the screen asking you to choose either pc suite mode or data transfer mode. since you've never done it before it'll almost certainly default to pc suite mode so if you just press enter the drivers should start installing.

if it shows up on the system as a removable drive and you can't use it in the pc suite then do safely remove hardware to remove it, plug it in again and instead of just pressing enter, press up then enter. keep doing that until it works. try pressing down too if up doesn't work

once you get that working you should be able to copy all of your files off and your contacts. and most of your pics are probably on the memory card anyway which can be removed

The phone hasnt a removable memory card so all the photos are on the phone. I'll try that. Hopefully it'll work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Here are the steps:

1. Take out the battery and put it back in (this will make sure phone is off).
    2. Press power on button for 2 seconds.
    3. Wait about 1 minute (more is better, just in case).
    4. Type in your PIN and press the left soft button.
    5. You should hear the Nokia welcome music at this point. Wait another 30 seconds for the phone to fully boot up.
    6. Press the address book button.
    7. Press the left soft button.
    8. Press joystick down 8 times.
    9. Press joystick right.
    10. Press joystick down, then middle (select) button. This should select all addresses in your phonebook.
    11. Press the left soft button.
    12. Press joystick down 4 times.
    13. Press joystick right, then middle (select) button twice.
    14. Wait a couple of minutes for the copy to finish.

Now you can take out the battery and the numbers should be on your SIM card. As other posters have said, the SIM address book is rather limited, but at least you should have most of address book available again.

WARNING: I have firmware version 4.0633.74.00 installed on my phone and also use a non-English language. While the language shouldn't have any impact on the order of menus, the firmware version very well might have.

Hi y'all

Thanks a million for all your help. :D:D:D

I pulled the house apart last night and got the cable and the Cd and (after alot of unhooking the cable and rehooking it) it connected and i saved the photos and saved the contacts. They went into the contact list in Outlook Express so i decided to copy the phonebook from phone to sim (thanks for the help blaz ;))

Now, where will i get the yoke fixed now?? Not near Dublin for a while.

there must be some phone shop near you, surley that could fix it for you..

Will any phone shop do?? Doesnt have to be Nokia or anything?

Do carphonewarehouse do repairs??

Dosen't have to be a nokia shop or anything, I don't think carphone fix screens in store so you're best to avoid them for the repair if you want it done straight away....

Dosen't have to be a nokia shop or anything, I don't think carphone fix screens in store so you're best to avoid them for the repair if you want it done straight away....

they don't

grand, will get onto that straight away.

Advertisement