Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv Promos

• 27-01-2009 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

Ok here is a compliment for RTE, I think they make really good promos for shows and the music they use is awesome, I loved the one with Prison break, and they used The Fray's new song for the lost promo, just a thought!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lovinit wrote: »
    Ok here is a compliment for RTE, I think they make really good promos for shows and the music they use is awesome, I loved the one with Prison break, and they used The Fray's new song for the lost promo, just a thought!!

Compliments are like complaints - nice to make here but I hope you told them as well.... (and I did like the Arcade Fire trailer a year or two back!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

In general RTE promos can be pants. The Project Ha Ha promos were pretty dire and made the shows look terrible when in fact they were pretty decent overall.

For these big shows do RTE cut the promos in-house or do they get them packaged with the show and then just add in their own voice-over? Anyone know?

[edit]Although the Project Ha Ha starting graphics were very well made[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    (and I did like the Arcade Fire trailer a year or two back!)

Damn straight.

Intervention + Prison Break gunfire scenes = Best. Rte. Promo. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Yes the Arcade Fire one is the one that completely stands out:cool:, I think Arcade Fire's song was massive after the promo.I love the promos with music, there was also one with a song from Oasis called The Masterplan which was really good as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

lovinit wrote: »
    I think Arcade Fire's song was massive after the promo.

I think you'll find the promo had nothing to do with that though. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think you'll find the promo had nothing to do with that though. :p
    You'd be surprised, you know.

I know of a few people who downloaded both single and album on the strength of the Rte promo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The promos are good but they're not that hard to do, your basically shoving the best bit's of everything into 30s of course it's going to look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

True, but going by the sheer volume of utterly shíte self-edited "montage" music videos thrown up on youtube by amateur Spielbergs, they probably aren't as easy to do properly as they may appear to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Those videos have no point other than to say "look at me". With a 30s promo the time makes a huge difference you don't have time to get bored. The promos also have a clear defined goal which makes them much more appealing.

Yes, but I'm referring to the ones that have obviously been made as some kind of special needs calling card to put the creator "out there" in the field of Editing employment.. They're basically happy-shopper versions of the promos run by proper tv channels, the only difference being that they are absolutely rubbish.

I was simply saying that the amount of bad ones that exist go to show that they obviously arent as easy to put together as one might think, and that Rté occasionally do a very good job on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Downloaded two songs in the last two weeks on the strength of RTE promos, first one was if there is a rocket tie me to it - advertising GAA on RTe and the other one called From Yesterday by 30 seconds to mars advertising Hurling on RTE, two great songs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

They actually used The Fray song for Lost and I wouldn't thank RTE really for that as they did the same in America. But I do like alot of the promos RTE do.

Meh, they had one or two decent ones in the past (The aforementioned "Arcade Fire - Intervention" one comes to mind) but recently they've been awful -

I refer to the Harper's Island Weezer one; the Amityville Horror Crosby Stills and Nash one; anything where they try to be cool or funny promoting CSI; and particularly the pointless, meaningless and utterly sh*te "It's Nine time" ones, where they're desperately trying to turn their showing of old, repeated TV series and poor 5 year old films at 9 p.m. into some kind of hip "event".

(I have to admit that I have absolutely no idea what "It's nine time" even means. It sounds like some random English phrase that a third-rate Eastern European rapper would shout in the middle of a break beat)

In short, they've been a bit rubbish recently.

Advertisement