Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to go to Limerick Court tomorrow forgot to pay a parking fine

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

PLEASE HELP ANYONE..........

Got a parking ticket and totally forgot to pay it and now I have to go to court tomorrow.... Does anyone know what happens there, What will happen will I get a large fine???:mad: Also may I add I got the parking ticket at 8.00 o clock in the evening:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Seeing as though you left it this long and its gone to court it looks like you'll be sentenced for a small time in prison. It might only be for a month depending on how repentant you are, I'd advise a guilty plee. Just don't drop the soap. I've had friends of friends have to spend 2 weeks before in the Joy for unpaid parking fines, they never came out the same. Wife's left them a few months later, they started hanging around gay bar's and using hard drugs and the like.

Just be careful. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I would just like to echo Wincest's post. Rough ride ahead i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye, the Limerick courts are known for being very harsh when it comes to petty crimes like this. It's really a pity that so many people get sent to jail for such a small crime but I suppose it's to teach you not to do it again.

Wincest - Sorry to hear that about your mate...guess he won't do it again though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

He does not drive anymore but really with his current drug and medical problems its the last of his worries. It's really sad to see someone who is a good friend really drop and hit a low and not be able to do anything about it, all because of one small mistake. Life can really bite you in the ass :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

PLEASE HELP ANYONE..........

Got a parking ticket and totally forgot to pay it and now I have to go to court tomorrow.... Does anyone know what happens there, What will happen will I get a large fine???:mad: Also may I add I got the parking ticket at 8.00 o clock in the evening:mad::mad::mad:

Don't mind these guys. The chances of you having to do a few weeks in jail are only about 50/50. I had two friends go to court for parking offences, one got a week in jail (but was out after 4 days) the other got a €10,000 fine. Same judge so not sure why the difference in sentencing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Happened to a friend of mine too.... on the plus side, he can now benchpress 100kg, and he got some stunning tattoos (apart from the one that says "I heart Johno" - bit creepy).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Before Billy bans us all for trolling, you'll be OK. You'll just get a fine (no idea how much) and maybe some penalty points (if you were parked dangerously).
    Under this system, if you receive a parking fine, you must pay the fine to the traffic division of your local authority within a period of 28 days from the date of the fixed charge notice. If you fail to pay within the allotted 28 days, the charge increases by 50 per cent. If the fine is still unpaid after a further 28 days, court proceedings are initiated. Furthermore, if you are convicted of parking dangerously will receive 5 penalty points and a court fine. Read more about penalty points for driving offences here.

More info: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/traffic-and-parking/parking_fines_and_vehicle_clamping

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

you have a few options:

Don't go - fine will be doubled, you'll get a letter and then a visit from the busy gardai if you don't pay. still don't pay and you will be arrested and given 7 - 30 days in prison (depending on what the judge says tomorrow), you'll get taken to the prison, processed and turfed back out - although you will have a record

Go - say nothing, stand up when your name is called, if asked why you didn't pay, say you forgot/never got fine etc, get ordered to pay original fine and small penalty

Go - Argue the case when you stand up, say you were entitled to park there, the time may have be a factor etc, depending on how well you put your case, it may be struck out, or the judge may say you should have complained earlier and you still get original fine and small penalty.

Either way, don't be smart with judge, tends to upset them. and sit on the far right of the court, as far as possible from the tracksuits

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andyournameis

lyencoli wrote: »
    you have a few options:

Don't go - fine will be doubled, you'll get a letter and then a visit from the busy gardai if you don't pay. still don't pay and you will be arrested and given 7 - 30 days in prison (depending on what the judge says tomorrow), you'll get taken to the prison, processed and turfed back out - although you will have a record

Go - say nothing, stand up when your name is called, if asked why you didn't pay, say you forgot/never got fine etc, get ordered to pay original fine and small penalty

Go - Argue the case when you stand up, say you were entitled to park there, the time may have be a factor etc, depending on how well you put your case, it may be struck out, or the judge may say you should have complained earlier and you still get original fine and small penalty.

Either way, don't be smart with judge, tends to upset them. and sit on the far right of the court, as far as possible from the tracksuits

Thanks a million I feel a bit better now I think I will go for say nothing tomorrow... I guess I should have paid that parking fine in the first place OMG..... I'm a criminal.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Thanks a million I feel a bit better now I think I will go for say nothing tomorrow... I guess I should have paid that parking fine in the first place OMG..... I'm a criminal.....:eek:

Hope you've already visited the USA. After tomorrow you won't be able :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Theres an easy way around all this, murder some people, start claiming the dole while driving around in a 200 grand bulletproof car, sell drugs, and have 3 houses, you'll get a slap on the wrist then, and maybe a lollipop

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This thread got AH'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The OP has had his question answered. therefore there is no more reason for this to be ope n for silly replies.

Wincest is Best! go forth and read the charter with regard to people seeking advice/information . This will be your one and only warning.

The same goes for the rest of the smartarses in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement