Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website-what should i use?

Options
  • 27-01-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

Unemployed at the moment so i need to get my hand stuck into something.
    I want to create a website, social network more or less(jeez, sounds like hard work now). I haven't used PHP before but would like inputs on what would be the best language for this bearing in mind that i am a newbie.

Thank you
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

there is no 'best' language. just what your comfortable with. asp.net or php would be fine. both will do the job. do you have any programming experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you plan on a lot of changing content, a CMS system such as Joomla might be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Oh i studied Computer Science in College(studied Java, html, SQL, Visual Basic.net). I am also learning c#

Joomla: never heard of it before... Googling as we speak.

I would be leaning towards php but i am open to other ideas

Joomla seems cool-PHP and MySQL and most important of all it is FREE!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Joomla has a social networking module:

http://www.jomsocial.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

You said you are leaning towards PHP so go with your hunch and you will never look back.

Most free CMS systems are coded in PHP - Joomla, Drupal, CMSMadesimple and hundreds of others.

They all have lots of plug-in modules for getting the functionality you need and you will be able to hook them together easily if you feel ok using PHP.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 compevo

I would say PHP is your best bet, it's open source, it is very quick, and is a very straight forward language with all the capabilities you could ever need.

Facebook uses PHP, so that should give you an idea about how powerful PHP is.

Best luck and wishes with the project.

Thanks guys, i asked several people about my idea and they all think it's been done before and the market is limited. Now i am back brainstorming as i really want to do something worthwhile.

Btw my initial idea is to create a social network aimed at single people... Now i know there are loads out there and facebook and bebo probably cater for such so there is no need, i don't know if i would pull the amount of traffic...
    Now i am thinking of a content site..... Dunno what the content would be but it needs to be something people would use daily....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

php+mysql,
    it seems like alot of work but if you sit down and draw out a proper plan, uml diagram, then pseudo code, then youll have it done in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Have you any programming experience? You can do it with PHP if you like, you can use the PEAR modules (basically libraries that make common tasks easier - see here http://pear.php.net/).

Otherwise you can use a framework, which is basically software built on top of a language to make development easier. For PHP CakePHP is good, Ruby on Rails is full of hype but there are few examples (unless you get books) and the Ruby language can be quite a leap. Java has Grails (a Rails knockoff) and the more enterprise-oriented Struts2. There's also Drupal (confusing as ****) and Joomla (haven't used it)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, i asked several people about my idea and they all think it's been done before and the market is limited. Now i am back brainstorming as i really want to do something worthwhile.

whilst this is true, the market is limited but that should deter you from doing the site. It may not be as profitable as the bebo's the facebook's etc. but completing something on this scale will strengthen your programming skills as well as look good on a CV.

as to what technologies to go with, i would go with my strongest and in terms of web dev. for me it's php+mysql. also having a look at the sites that out there like bebo/facebook/myspace/etc. and look at the technologies they use.

bebo - java servlets.
    facebook - php.
    myspace - coldfusion.

whilst all of them have their own merits, in my opinion php wins out for it's sheer simplicity in my view. also out of the three sites listed, facebook is the most user friendly to me.

good luck with the site whichever direction and whichever language you decide to go with :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Be careful of joomla there's some serious security problems associated with it.

Be careful of joomla there's some serious security problems associated with it.
    Really? Like?

whilst this is true, the market is limited but that should deter you from doing the site. It may not be as profitable as the bebo's the facebook's etc. but completing something on this scale will strengthen your programming skills as well as look good on a CV.

as to what technologies to go with, i would go with my strongest and in terms of web dev. for me it's php+mysql. also having a look at the sites that out there like bebo/facebook/myspace/etc. and look at the technologies they use.

bebo - java servlets.
    facebook - php.
    myspace - coldfusion.

whilst all of them have their own merits, in my opinion php wins out for it's sheer simplicity in my view. also out of the three sites listed, facebook is the most user friendly to me.

good luck with the site whichever direction and whichever language you decide to go with :pac:
    Thank you! Actually i have come up with another idea, always wanted to do this a while back and now am back on it...
    New idea would focus on students, be a general site for academic information and social aspects of going to college in the different counties in Ireland. What to expect etc

I am still keen on using php and i don't know what the story is with Joomla. What's the general feel on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

There are lots of possibilities in web space.

Sites I'd really like to see are:
    - An online CV maker that's really customisable. Like coderscv.com, but more powerful. (It might be useful to have when you're job hunting too!)
    - A CMS for orchestra management. Looks after uploads of music for all parts, as well as scheduling rehearsals, etc.

Personally, I'm working on automated soap tooling for PHP and it's wonderful. Great language, so much more prepared than Java.

Right guys i am trying to install php and i am having problems! :(

Am just going to go to bed and then look at things when i wake up. I downloaded Joomla_1.5.9 but i need to to download
    1. php-too confusing!
    2. MySQL-seems to be the only thing i have downloaded :)
    3. Apache-keep getting file cannot be found! :(

arrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Get XAMPP for windows, it's php/mysql/apache in one easy package

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

grasshopa wrote: »
    Get XAMPP for windows, it's php/mysql/apache in one easy package
    ^^ this

there's also wamp server as well which is basically the same thing, but for some reason i like xampp better. it's a really marmite kind of conundrum you either hate one and love the other.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

*EDIT* updated to the to be platform independent :P

Thanks guys, i am onto it :D

Worth not sleeping.... Thinking up ideas, drawing my UML as well. Proud of myself so far :D

Thanks guys! Finished downloading that-if only i had posted it earlier! Would have saved me an hour or so...

Back to Joomla :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Right guys i am trying to install php and i am having problems! :(

Am just going to go to bed and then look at things when i wake up. I downloaded Joomla_1.5.9 but i need to to download
    1. php-too confusing!
    2. MySQL-seems to be the only thing i have downloaded :)
    3. Apache-keep getting file cannot be found! :(

arrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh

wait, how are you planning on making a complex website [social networking?]
    if php is coming across to be too confusing? Also why are you downloading MySQL? why not just work remotely?

Anyway i wouldnt use joomla, i currently manage a site for work thats built with it, its so much hassel.

Placebo wrote: »
    wait, how are you planning on making a complex website [social networking?]
    if php is coming across to be too confusing? Also why are you downloading MySQL? why not just work remotely?

Anyway i wouldnt use joomla, i currently manage a site for work thats built with it, its so much hassel.
    :(

Hmmm.... You are the first person to say this... Right, i have downloaded Xammp(phd, apache, mysql) just installing joomla now.
    What would you suggest?

When i meant confusing i meant downloading.... I don't know php at all but by God i am going to learn :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah I have to say, joomla is a bit sucky alright.

You could look at Community Server Express which is free - haven't used it myself however.

Right... I am confused now....

Which do i go for? And why....

At a glance they both do the same thing

If I were you I'd download them, have a look at how easy or difficult they both to manage and then you'll be able to make an informed opinion. Really you should have a go at setting up a basic version of what you need with both.
    Here's a few things to consider:
    • Ease of installation
    • Ease of Administration
      • How easy is it to add a user
      • How easy is it to create a feature specific to you website needs
      • How easy is it to allow user's to register themselves
    • Ability to customise and create you're own features.
    • Leading on from the previous point - what skills are available. You're looking at php/mysql Vs Asp.Net/Ms Sql Server.

That list could go on and on and on (Ariston), but what's there will at least get you started.

Unfortuately i cannot afford to pay for Community Server Enterprise Edition and the express is quite limited.

Joomla on the other hand has problems with security....

Any suggestions on what to do?

Guys i am back again-i can't sleep at all...
    I have done some more research and i have two new contenders and i want to know what ye think about them
    1. dotnetnuke
    2. Jaws
    3. cmsmadesimple

What exactly do you mean by 'social network'? I may have you all wrong.

My apologies maybe i wasn't clear enough.
    The idea is to create a social networking and or cms for students in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've used Joomla before - it sucks.

If I were you, I'd write my site from scratch. PHP is really easy to learn and use.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I've used Joomla before - it sucks.

If I were you, I'd write my site from scratch. PHP is really easy to learn and use.
    Hello...

Yeah i know you love PHP :)

I would love to write it from scratch but it's a social network cms so i dunno.... As it is it's hard work :)
    Stayed up the last 48hrs researching different sw to use i finally decided on Plone. Looks good, feels good, the features are good...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Well, a site like that is mostly just database reads and writes, which is very straightforward in PHP, so the hardest part would be working out the site logic and design.

As someone who has gone down the CMS route before, you're going to find that they don't quite do what you want, and you're going to have to customise them anyway, i.e. learn PHP.

No harm investigating the different CMS options though, but don't get your hopes up! :)

Advertisement