Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website-what should i use?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think she should keep things simple.

Designing, creating and publishing a successful website is hard enough. Getting bogged down in the technology (especially a new technology) is just an extra complication.

PHP all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I won't be home until about 7. Can you hang around?
    Just saw this :(

Tomorrow maybe? I will be there until 8.20pm

Ginger wrote: »
    The thing to remember with SilverLight is that is client side rather than server side programming so its not as easy to get your head around the concept model.

You need a wee bit of knowledge of .NET and some of either WCF or ASMX. Now being honest, I am starting silverlight as a bit and I am finding it relatively easy to work with XAML tho I have Expression studio to help. I am by no means a graphics designer (mostly do backend coding) so it cant be that hard
    Thanks for that...

You are the only person that i have come across who uses Silverlight...

I am a newbie at this and will need support, i don't know how much support i can get with Silverlight. It was frustrating asking questions on the forum and not getting much back for at least 24hrs.... That demotivates me

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Just saw this :(

Tomorrow maybe? I will be there until 8.20pm

OK, I will drop it in tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

MIN2511 wrote: »
    btw i sent you a pm(php books) and no reply :(

I replied to your pm the other day. I was busy and had not used boards much. Sorry. Let me know if you got the books ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

I think she should keep things simple.
    Designing, creating and publishing a successful website is hard enough. Getting bogged down in the technology (especially a new technology) is just an extra complication.

+1 for this because all the technology in the world won't salvage a bad idea.
    Work the idea through and PHP will do the rest for you no problem.

pauldiv wrote: »
    +1 for this because all the technology in the world won't salvage a bad idea.
    Work the idea through and PHP will do the rest for you no problem.
    Thanks...

AARRRGH loaned me a book... Got it today/yesterday :)

I also purchased VS full edition(08) apparently i need it to install php... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I hope that's not VS as in Visual Studio? That's a microsoft product and doesn't support php as far as I know and isn't required for php anyway.

Php is free, you can get Eclipse PDT (Eclipse is an IDE) and WAMP, if your on windows, for free as well. In fact eclipse probably comes with its own webserver, does anybody know if it does?

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I hope that's not VS as in Visual Studio? That's a microsoft product and doesn't support php as far as I know and isn't required for php anyway.

Php is free, you can get Eclipse PDT (Eclipse is an IDE) and WAMP, if your on windows, for free as well. In fact eclipse probably comes with its own webserver, does anybody know if it does?
    1. How to build PHP under windows
    a. Requirements

You need:
    - Windows Scripting Host (cscript.exe)
    - Microsoft Build Tools from:
    Microsoft Visual Studio (VC6) or later

I got this from the Readme in the php-5.2.9 i downloaded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You don't have to build PHP from source, there are Windows binaries available for it e.g. here http://ie2.php.net/get/php-5.2.9-win32-installer.msi/from/a/mirror

Or as EvilPhil mentioned you can use Wamp or xampp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Download XAMPP
    Go to XAMPP folder, go to htdocs - this is where you save your files. To see those files go to localhost/filename.php in a browser.

<php
    echo 'helloworld';
    ?>

Download XAMPP
    Go to XAMPP folder, go to htdocs - this is where you save your files. To see those files go to localhost/filename.php in a browser.

<php
    echo 'helloworld';
    ?>
    Hmm....

I downloaded XAMPP ages ago, it's running now(Apache and MySQL)

Am still on it, is there anyone on msn now who can guide me please?

I will appreciate it bucket loads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well if you have XAMPP running, all you have to do is create your php script pages and save them as *.php in Apache's WWW (htdocs) directory. This is probably in your XAMPP installation somewhere.

To test PHP working properly, just type this into an editor and save file as test.php:

[php]
    <?php
    print "Hi There!";
    ?>
    [/php]

You should see Hi There in your browser then when you goto http://localhost/test.php - providing you saved test.php in the root directory (htdocs). You can create sub directories too.

Download XAMPP

<php
    echo 'helloworld';
    ?>
    Thanks dude, i really appreciate your help last night :D

First form done! Impressive! PHP is not bad at all guys, cheers.... I am very happy with it, i can't wait to create my login screen etc....

Now i am thinking of colour schemes, name for site etc....

So so Happy!

Aarrrgh-thanks for the book! LEGEND!!!!

So guys any ideas, thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!!

Very angry i bought MS VS, sure i will use it as i want to learn c#

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

surely you need to devise a UML or chart of some sort to get a general idea of the mechanism you will be creating, Maybe then look at the design.

Placebo wrote: »
    surely you need to devise a UML or chart of some sort to get a general idea of the mechanism you will be creating, Maybe then look at the design.

I use A1 notepads from Easons. I just draw the general user flow, e.g. he could click on this and then do that, or he could click on this and then do something else, or whatever.

Getting your user flow right from the beginning will make your coding life way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Re buying VS - I'm probably adding insult to injury here :) - for future reference, MS have been doing free versions of Visual Studio and various other tools for some time;
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/interest/
    and here;
    http://www.microsoft.com/Web/downloads/platform.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/application.aspx

UML's all done, i am constantly updating and reviewing....
    I use A1 notepads from Easons. I just draw the general user flow, e.g. he could click on this and then do that, or he could click on this and then do something else, or whatever.

Getting your user flow right from the beginning will make your coding life way easier.
    Notepad, drawn and dusted! This girl is coding.... Gonna spend a few hours tonight, login screen should be looking good soon
    Re buying VS - I'm probably adding insult to injury here :) - for future reference, MS have been doing free versions of Visual Studio and various other tools for some time;
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/interest/
    and here;
    http://www.microsoft.com/Web/downloads/platform.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/application.aspx

I had the express version for some reason i wasn't satisfied with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Fair play if you see it through,
    About a year ago , i started working on an offline application, with flex. That read your Nike+ data from your ipod, it then drew up charts and showed your stats and i was hoping on adding mile stones etc similar to the official online version,

work got in the way and its still undone, somewhere.

The story of my life! :)

I've managed to finish some projects (i.e. see signature) but I have so many half done, hours wasted, semi working bits of code sitting on my laptop...

• Advertisement

Fair play if you see it through,
    About a year ago , i started working on an offline application, with flex. That read your Nike+ data from your ipod, it then drew up charts and showed your stats and i was hoping on adding mile stones etc similar to the official online version,

The story of my life! :)

I've managed to finish some projects (i.e. see signature) but I have so many half done, hours wasted, semi working bits of code sitting on my laptop...

I promise to learn from your mistakes :D

Should be interesting, had to revise login screen UML... Think i came up with a name too

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Malached

Try using some HTML. : -P

Cheers bud! Seriously, that would take my ages!

<Joking aside>
    It's about what you want to do, not how to do it
    </Joking aside>
    Writing a wesite.. or an application .. or an application with a web front end, or a web site that has a bit of a back end. Tools for the job. You must decide what you want before you try to implement it. Otherwise you get a cluster****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Malached wrote: »
    <Joking aside>
    It's about what you want to do, not how to do it
    </Joking aside>
    Writing a wesite.. or an application .. or an application with a web front end, or a web site that has a bit of a back end. Tools for the job. You must decide what you want before you try to implement it. Otherwise you get a cluster****.

The italic part was a joke?:o

Yes Italians are a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Someone previously mentioned cakephp as a good framework for developing php apps.It implements a lot of the interesting features of the Ruby/Rails framework. e.g. supports MVC patterns. It is also widely used. I've just started working with it, having done no php or web programming previously , and so far can recommend it.
    Its got a very active user community and plenty examples and tutorials. You can also convert style templates from other environments , such as Joomla , to work with it.

bullpost wrote: »
    Someone previously mentioned cakephp as a good framework for developing php apps.It implements a lot of the interesting features of the Ruby/Rails framework. e.g. supports MVC patterns. It is also widely used. I've just started working with it, having done no php or web programming previously , and so far can recommend it.
    Its got a very active user community and plenty examples and tutorials. You can also convert style templates from other environments , such as Joomla , to work with it.
    I started using php, not gonna bother with cakephp... but it's good to know, might use it in the future...

How are you getting on with it? What's your website about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its early days but I can already see that cakephps inbuilt features , such as table associations, are going to make life a lot easier on the database side.
    For social networking sites the database side of things can quickly become unwieldy if its not designed properly and cakephp makes it easier to handle and get it right if you follow the conventions.

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Its early days but I can already see that cakephps inbuilt features , such as table associations, are going to make life a lot easier on the database side.
    For social networking sites the database side of things can quickly become unwieldy if its not designed properly and cakephp makes it easier to handle and get it right if you follow the conventions.
    Am onto it now ;)

Good info! Keep the ideas coming please

Advertisement