Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website-what should i use?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hello everyone,

I haven't worked on my project since my last post. No Internet, tried all the major Internet subscribers and the protocol/wait time is unbelievable. I just got Internet so i hope to get on track.

I know my idea is still in early stages but i met a guy recently and i gave a him a brief description of what i want to do and the fact that i am using php from scratch as opposed to a CMS. He mentioned that i will have problems translating to the different languages especially because it will be dynamic. Now i have thought about it a lot, and believe i will have problems with it. Also my idea doesn't seem so bright anymore...

Arrrrgggggghhhhhhhh, my head is wrecked right now as i am trying to get on track but i dunno if it's worth the trouble or the hassle. Is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think you should start small instead of trying to save the world with one website. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

You sound a hyper one, and you think too much :pac:

Forget about frameworks and pre-built CSMs.

Just use plain and simple PHP.
    MIN2511 wrote: »
    i met a guy recently and i gave a him a brief description of what i want to do and the fact that i am using php from scratch as opposed to a CMS. He mentioned that i will have problems translating to the different languages especially because it will be dynamic.

That doesn't make any sense. What does he mean by translating to different languages?
    i dunno if it's worth the trouble or the hassle. Is it?

It will take hours and hours and hours of hard work. But you will learn a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

elyod wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense. What does he mean by translating to different languages?

French, Italian, Irish, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Hello everyone,

I haven't worked on my project since my last post. No Internet, tried all the major Internet subscribers and the protocol/wait time is unbelievable. I just got Internet so i hope to get on track.

I know my idea is still in early stages but i met a guy recently and i gave a him a brief description of what i want to do and the fact that i am using php from scratch as opposed to a CMS. He mentioned that i will have problems translating to the different languages especially because it will be dynamic. Now i have thought about it a lot, and believe i will have problems with it. Also my idea doesn't seem so bright anymore...

If by "translating it to different languages" you mean localisation, that's not particularly difficult, it just takes decent planning and design, and a good bit of maintenance. Frameworks like ASP.NET or CMS's like the PHP ones mentioned above, usually have support for this kind of thing built in, but you can do it yourself if you want.
    Arrrrgggggghhhhhhhh, my head is wrecked right now as i am trying to get on track but i dunno if it's worth the trouble or the hassle. Is it?

Well, that depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve here. If you're looking to become a web designer, then no, it isn't likely to be worth it - forget about CMSs and worry about graphic design, typography, etc, and the HTML/CSS that goes along with it. If you're looking to become a software developer who does web apps/web frontends, then yeah, it is worth the trouble, but you're probably starting too deep with CMSs and social networking whatnot. If you're looking to start a business of some sort, then no, I don't think it's worth the trouble or the hassle - worry about your business plan and funding and let the developers worry about the PHP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The type of insights you're looking for can only be gained by making mistakes i.e. as a normal byproduct of experience.

You should have loads of time on your hands so you really need to jump in and learn.

You also need to be clear about why you are doing this so that motviation is not a problem - to bring to fruition an idea you have , or probably more useful in the long term, to learn to program.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

bullpost wrote: »
    having done no php or web programming previously , and so far can recommend it.

I'd be of the view that if your just starting out and want to learn as much as possible, you shouldn't be using a framework. Do a site where you write the whole thing yourself before jumping to a framework. Its good to know why frameworks exists and what problems they solve.

Advertisement