Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More job losses

• 27-01-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

apparantly teva have let people go now

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Pharmaceutical company in the industrial estate.

Big employers anyway, would imagine they have more than 500 out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I heard they were taking on people. Things must be getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sully wrote: »
    Who?

IVAX/Norton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Who would have been my orginal response thanks Sully,

IVAX do employ a good few out there. Another Sad day for Waterford IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think the following is a sign of just how bad things are for jobs in Waterford:

aolkg6.jpg

Taken from the AOL Job Opportunities site! Only a few months a go, AOL was where people simply went on a casual basis while they were looking for something better. Now, everyone's hanging onto their job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

sorry for the confusion ,teva is the new name for ivax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Bausch and Lomb are having an "information meeting " tomorrow in the canteen for employees , hopefully its not bad news

First we heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I hear workers in Hasbro have to take 15 days unpaid leave by the end of March.

Something about the Carpet Factory on the Ind Estate also going on short-time...

If we lose our jobs, will there be ANYTHING out there for us??? How do Cowen and Lenihan expect to make up the tax shortfall if no-one is paying tax anymore???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

gscully wrote: »
    I hear workers in Hasbro have to take 15 days unpaid leave by the end of March.

Something about the Carpet Factory on the Ind Estate also going on short-time...

If we lose our jobs, will there be ANYTHING out there for us??? How do Cowen and Lenihan expect to make up the tax shortfall if no-one is paying tax anymore???

Hasbro has been on the ropes for a while now so the reccession is basically the recession i'd say will well and truly finish that place off. Pity I worked there for a summer many moons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

ziedth wrote: »
    Hasbro has been on the ropes for a while now so the reccession is basically the recession i'd say will well and truly finish that place off. Pity I worked there for a summer many moons ago.

Hasbro staff will be working 3 days a week for the next 8 to 10 weeks, then hope that orders will arrive in and then back to the 5 a day week. Sure thge 3day is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

meldrew wrote: »
    Bausch and Lomb are having an "information meeting " tomorrow in the canteen for employees , hopefully its not bad news

I heard (not confirmation until tomorrow) that the factory will be shutting down possibly 1 week per month or when there is a bank holiday instead of just the 1 day closed, a whole week. I heard this from someone who works there....scary scary stuff! Currently they have auditors there for the next 4 months to streamline things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I heard in TEVA it was only 12 people and it was as a result of new machines etc..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

kensutz wrote: »
    First we heard

Any more news on this Ken. Rumour has it all employee are to attend a meeting at 4pm in the canteen tomorrow afternoon.

Meetings are confirmed and lots of rumours and speculation. Nothing positive from any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think the following is a sign of just how bad things are for jobs in Waterford:

aolkg6.jpg

Taken from the AOL Job Opportunities site! Only a few months a go, AOL was where people simply went on a casual basis while they were looking for something better. Now, everyone's hanging onto their job!

Theres a class of new tech hires starting next week.

The announcement in B&L is to do with the company introducing short time working. From 23rd Feb, they are to begin taking 1 week off per month. the next 4 weeks after Feb will be weeks which include bank holidays in them, so ie.. St Patricks day, Easter Monday, May day and the June bank holiday.

This is more bad news for many families in Waterford, South Kilkenny and parts of Co Wexford.

Workers in Honeywell have been on a 3 day week since the start of November and there seems to be no end in sight for them too. Non unionised staff in honeywell are also starting a 3 day week from Monday 9th Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Theres a class of new tech hires starting next week.

I heard there's a position in Payroll going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Teva took my mate on about 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    Teva took my mate on about 3 weeks ago.

Jesus, he was lucky, was he taken on for an office job or for a job on the shop floor, I know a couple of lads who's contract are due to expire this month and have already been told that there contracts are not been renewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Jesus, he was lucky, was he taken on for an office job or for a job on the shop floor, I know a couple of lads who's contract are due to expire this month and have already been told that there contracts are not been renewed.

college work experience in the IT departement

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I work in Teva, no job losses, just a few temp employees let go. Business is going well. One of the safest places in the city to be working (if your permanent anyway)

UhOh wrote: »
    I work in Teva, no job losses, just a few temp employees let go. Business is going well. One of the safest places in the city to be working (if your permanent anyway)

I wouldnt be so sure in this current climate. No manufacturing Job in this country is totally safe at this moment in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

tbh, waterford has really taking a big hit, majority of people are either on 3 days or after been left go .. scary , esp now that Aol arent taking on people, major sign of the times

emo!! wrote: »
    Aol arent taking on people, major sign of the times

I think they are mate. People are certainly being interviewed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure in this current climate. No manufacturing Job in this country is totally safe at this moment in time

the Waterford site makes alot of money for Teva plus we're the only inhalations site they have in the world. Thye've pumped around 60-70 million into the site in the last 12-18months aswell. Sure some more temporary contracts might not be renewed but overall if the Waterford sites continues to perform as it has recently jobs will be safe.

Teva & Genzyme, certainly at the moment the safest jobs in the city. Bausch & Lombs downfall would have happned regardless of the recession due to the increase in availabiliy of laser eye treatments etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

benifa wrote: »
    I think they are mate. People are certainly being interviewed anyway.
    really o.0 *prints of cv * :P

emo!! wrote: »
    really o.0 *prints of cv * :P

Here's a sales vacancy. There may be other vacancies though. Give them a call. Oh, and if you do apply, PM me for my name to put on the application form. ;)

EDIT: There's also Customer Service and Technical Support positions advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

teva is a fairly safe bet at the moment anyway..

Advertisement